Need to place my mare

Edith Ann Rivers
Greenie

Need to place my mare

Postby Edith Ann Rivers » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:41 pm

Hi Everyone, Laurie just gave me permission to post this.
Due to my boyfriend being diagnosed with throat cancer, we are placing our horses, pony and mini donkey. We already gave Dude to our neighbor's daughter who was using him in lessons and loves him to death! The mini donkey is going to my friend who has a mini horse to keep him company. My POA/Shetland cross will be a hard placement as he is 27 and NOT good with kids! Just a lawn ornament or company for someone's lonely horse. I was told that when I got him 13 years ago and they were right. I handled him for 2 years everyday desensitizing him and just being a calm presence and he is just not right in the head about that. :? He is better than he used to be and he doesn't cause any trouble or have a mean bone in his body just very distrusting. There leaves my Edie, aka Edith Ann Rivers. She's a young 19, 15.2 American Saddlebred. She would do well with a young rider who is more than just a beginner. She also would do well not on pasture as she is sensitive to the spring grass. She never was like that before I moved her to the farm as we only had a dirt paddock for her. I would forget each spring and call Komier over to see why my Edie was off! Anyway I have Old Mac boots for her that will go with her. When I was riding her all the time we were schooling a little of first level and jumped up to 2'9" consistantly, sometimes 3'. Plus everytime I rode her we worked on basics. Putting my leg on her means take a longer stride, not go faster. She is the politest horse in the barn but she is also the lead mare in the herd. Only Dude is above her. I am giving her with strings attached. If it doesn't work out, she HAS to come home. I am asking you folks because I trust you to lead me in the right direction. Like you wouldn't let me place her somewhere you wouldn't allow your own horse. I really appreciate your help. When I was riding her all the time, I had her fitted and believe it or not, she takes an extra wide saddle! Flat topped and muscled up. Obviously she's not now.
Thank you in advance! Jean
You can email me at horsesnart@gmail.com

Feder
Greenie

Re: Need to place my mare

Postby Feder » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:25 pm

Jean - just sending you jingles. I hope you are able to place all horses in homes you are comfortable with. Sending you and BF strength and healing thoughts.

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:35 pm

Sorryy you folks are going through this. Best wishes and jingles to your BF. Where are you located?

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:17 pm

Jean is in southeast Massachusetts. I can help provide trailering in the Northeast.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Wish you were closer and I was in a position to take on a horse, I adore saddlebreds. Hope you find a great home for everyone and wanted to send some health and horse home jingles!

FlyingLily
Novice

Postby FlyingLily » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Edith Anne Rivers, I'm so sorry about the cancer diagnosis and the upheaval of both your lives. Best wishes on the journey ahead.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm

Jean, I'm sorry about the turmoil you are going through. Wishing you and BF the best and happy homes for your friends.

Edith Ann Rivers
Greenie

Postby Edith Ann Rivers » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone. I forgot to say that Art's cancer is definitely curable, just he's going through hell now and it's going to get worse. Thank you for offering your trailer Laurie! I do have one though. Just got to have a hitch put on my Tahoe.

Crisscreek
Greenie

Postby Crisscreek » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:16 am

Ah, too bad you are on the opposite side of the continent from me! I think i could have offered her a very good home, as I'm very set up for my two prone-to-laminitis horses, and looking for a horse for my horse crazy neice to call her own! Good luck finding her the perfect home. I'm sure its out there. Ongoing good wishes to you and Art.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:17 am

Poor Art, that totally sucks. Wishing you the best finding soft landings for your tribe, and getting through the next few months more or less in one piece.

Stick around and keep us posted, please!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Im so sorry you're experiencing this.
I rehomed all of my pets when I became ill and had to move out of state for treatment.
That was truly as devastating as my dx and treatment.
Thankfully my thee cats and elderly dog all live with my bff from childhood, and I get to see them regularly.

((((((((((((Hugs and Jingles))))))))))))))

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Thinking of you and wishing you peaceful landings for all.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:03 pm

So very very sorry you are facing this. Jingling for good outcomes all around.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:08 pm

Sorry you are going through this Jean. I hope you find the perfect place for Edie.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:15 pm

Jean, If there is anything we can do, let us know.

KounterKanter
Greenie

Postby KounterKanter » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:16 pm

Chancellor wrote:Jean, If there is anything we can do, let us know.

Ditto that.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Jingles for your boyfriend, and best of luck with placing your herd.

Figgy
Herd Member

Postby Figgy » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:56 am

its a shame you can't find a lease home for your mare so that you can get her back later on - hopefully you'll find someone who can take her but who is willing to share her with you on those days when you just need to go and give her a cuddle

Edith Ann Rivers
Greenie

Postby Edith Ann Rivers » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Well here it is February 20th and I still have my Edie and Dominic. Art's throat cancer is gone. But the last petscan on February 3rd showed he has now 5 spots on his lungs and one on his left hip. We went into Mass General in Boston on thursday and Dr. Clark says 1) he's not a candidate for that biological/ immuno???therapy and 2) the cancer cells are too small to do anything about yet. Says they have been there at least 2 years. Slow moving. So it's a wait and see. Had a baseline x-ray on his hip and going back in 12 weeks. So it's kind of a reprieve and we all feel better. They said it's "Managable"! If he does have to have any treatment it will be just radiation.
I did consent to seeing someone about them taking Edie this weekend and they backed out! Said they wanted to only consider 15 and under. Well she's pushing 20! I told her that right from the start. Art's daughter in law is who set this up and my gut told me she doesn't realize "Almost 20" is NOT Prime Real Estate! So I'm hoping the town inspector's daughter will still be interested in riding her and help with her upkeep. I still really don't want to give her up, but we bought a fixer upper in Florida and I can't bring her with us. I'm between a rock and a hard place.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:52 am

You certainly have a lot going on in your life right now. I'll say a prayer that the right answers come to you. ((Hugs))

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:56 pm

Yay for the throat cancer being gone!
All the rest, ((((((((((((((((hugs and more hugs))))))))))))))))))) while you continue to sort it out.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”