Ariel is so freaking smart

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ariel is so freaking smart

Postby PaulaO » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:31 pm

At some point I will be told "stop the Ariel stories" but until then you are stuck.

We've been doing a lot of work on manners, especially leading. I don't know how many walk/halts I've done, how many "let's be a tb and prance sideways in front of Paula" corrections I've done. Last night she was perfect, in the halter and with the bridle. She walked nicely, didn't get in front, I stayed by her shoulder, she stopped when I stopped and said halt. Sunday's riding lesson was all walk, teaching her that she did not get her own way and that she had to turn right away from the door instead of left towards it. Last night there were 14 riders in the arena--handful of up/down lessons, 2 teens practicing their equitation which meant cantering around without stirrups and jumping over poles, the 3 trail ladies standing in the middle of the arena.

She had one minor "I'm going left" episode but I corrected her with my leg and after that she was all business.

That girl is so smart. She has some gaping holes in her basics obviously but when I firmly and fairly show her the way, she picks it up. And even with the arena hubbub, she remained calm and therefore I was calm. This is such a learning experience for me. All those dressage lessons and ground work with Bob are coming into play.

Woost2
Herd Member

Re: Ariel is so freaking smart

Postby Woost2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:01 pm

That great. Duke the spotted draft has had many half-leasers. The owner didn't warn me that he was a "tester" (until after the fact when I was telling her about the tests) but others at the barn told stories about how he buffaloed previous half-leasers. He's big as a house, a new experience for me. We've had a few minor skirmishes, mostly around balking, until I discovered that if he said "nah, I don't think so" and I responded "oh yes you will" he was all "yes, ma'am." Good boy! The things he tried those first few weeks ... oy.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:49 pm

We love Ariel stories, keep 'em coming.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:02 pm

Sue B wrote:We love Ariel stories, keep 'em coming.

This, exactly.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:45 pm

Today she came to me when I called her from the pasture gate :mrgreen:

She did run out on a trot pole set but that was my fault. I looked down at my diagonal instead of looking ahead. And she looks mighty classy in her green turnout sheet.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”