What's for dinner? Thanksgiving Edition

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

What's for dinner? Thanksgiving Edition

Postby StraightForward » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:30 pm

What is everyone having today?

It's just the two of us as we don't have any family nearby. We just purchased 1.5 awesome lambs from the FFA kids next door to the stable, so we're having:

Brie and crackers to snack on
Leg of lamb cooked sous vide with garlic and rosemary, then finished on the grill over lump charcoal, hopefully a gravy if there's enough liquid left over.
Parsnip mash with goat cheese
Roasted Brussels sprouts with chestnuts
Chanterelles sauteed with shallots and butter
Candied pecan apple pie with vanilla ice cream
A fancy bottle of 2011 Syrah I've been saving from a stop in Washington wine country this summer

DH might make some Stovetop because he is a sick, sick person.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Re: What's for dinner? Thanksgiving Edition

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:44 pm

We are heading up to the neighbors for dinner, so it will be turkey and all the trimmings. I'm in charge of dessert, and am not a pumpkin pie fan, so I am in the process of making a lemon frangipane tart...

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:25 pm

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving. Tonight I'll be back at "home," but mum is in India and I have no idea what our housemates are doing, so it'll likely be just me and the cat. I'll probably scrounge up some leftovers from the fridge, haha! He'll be very thankful to have a bed to sleep on tonight (mum left on Tuesday and he normally sleeps with her).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:33 pm

Easy, nothing fancy.

Trying a heritage turkey (either Slate or Bourbon Red) in the smoker with alder, pecan, cherry wood chips, boxed stuffing, real mashed potatoes and trying a scratch gravy from TOB since I don't get drippings from the smoker.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:40 pm

Turkey sous vide, with the skin roasted in the oven at the last minute. Vegetarian stuffing for cousin in law. Green beans with onions and mushrooms. Cranberry, pear and ginger sauce. Salad and sweet potato with marshmallows (for stepdad) and mashed potatoes from cousin. And pumpkin and pecan pie from Costco!

And wine - never forget the wine!

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:41 pm

We'll have 4 adult kids, 1 boyfriend, and my parents, so 9 people. We started doing a Thanksgiving potluck style a few years ago, since the kids are all adults now. I'm making a turkey, rice stuffing, gravy, sweet potato casserole (a yummy one!), roasted brussel sprouts, and rolls. My mom brought German sausage from Kansas. Kids are bringing mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, bread stuffing, a couple of pies, and one surprise (nonresponder to the potluck query).

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year, all about feasting and thankfulness and togetherness without the hubbub and shopping of Christmas. DH has a black cloud over Thanksgiving because his first wife died (of cancer at 38) on Thanksgiving day some years ago. Then two years ago his brother died the weekend before Thanksgiving and we spent the holiday weekend at his funeral. It can make for a rough holiday. But I don't think we can just write it off forever, so I persist in my feasting rituals. I'm sure grief and loss in the holidays could be thread all it's own.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:09 pm

We took this year off from hosting, but of course we still cook.

This year's menu appears to have a bit of a fruit theme...

Apple Parsnip Soup
Kale-Citrus Salad
Sliced Brussel Sprouts with Lemon
Roasted Local Turkey with Homemade Gravy
Chestnut Dressing
Sweet and Sour Butternut Squash
Cranberry Relish
Onion Pear Chutney
Pear-Fig Tarte Tatin

and yes, wine!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Sinple. Roast turkey which was brined overnight, dressing, mashed potatoes, baked butternut squash, broccoli and gravy.

All home made from scratch.

Family helped with barn chores so we got done quick sticks. Very thankful.

We are only three so its quality not quantity. But love it

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:16 pm

I'm working. The hospital does feed us however which is nice. I failed to peruse the menu before my day off but am confident that I won't go hungry.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 pm

We had it simple, just the two of us:

bought some freshly smoked salmon yesterday, made some quinoa-butternut squash-zucchini stuffing, and green beans. I couldn't even finish up my plate, it was too much to eat. It's OK, I'll have the leftovers for dinner.

First time I ever made *anything* for Thanksgiving, LOL!
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:58 pm

Ate at a favorite restaurant in the next town over. A converted railway depot with nice ambiance, very good service (DH likes to chat up all the waitresses ;) . DH waited until last week before making reservations and we were initially put on a waiting list. The owner looked and saw his name and bumped us up to their early seating 8-) I guess chatting up the waitresses helps. Classic T-giving dinner of turkey, skinny green beans, dressing, a bit of cranberry sauce, smashed potatoes w/gravy, pumpkin pie and wine spritzers. Taste buds are very satisfied! Now to the barn to give the critters their dinner....

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:30 pm

We had twelve people here for dinner; dh & I, our four kids, d-i-l, future son-in-law, two grandkids and my parents. My brother and his family ended up not being able to make it (sister-in-law works at a hospital and got today as her holiday so she can be off on Christmas).

Our menu:
Turkey
Mashed potatoes and gravy
Stuffing (made from scratch)
Cheesy potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Baked Mac & cheese
Baked beans
Green bean casserole
Rolls
Cheesecake with strawberry sauce
Pumpkin pie and whipped cream
Pecan pie
Apple pie
Vanilla ice cream

Typically we have a big salad too, which my brother brings ( everyone brings either their specialty dish or something they feel must be on the menu), but since he wasn't able to make it and there is so much other food we decided to skip salad this time.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:16 am

Update :)

Smoked turkey (but haven't eaten it yet). Took longer reach temp than I was expecting... and a far different bird than what I am used to so hope it isn't too dried out.

Bagged the stuffing (as it is late and I am lazy) and gravy - but yes on real mashed potatoes with chives and turkey. The rest will come off the bone and into the refrigerator.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:03 am

BIL, SIL and their 3 kids hosted his family, her parents, and eldest son's girlfriend for a total of 13 this year. The menu is always the same (makes me twitchy) and a bit of a "voluntold" potluck:

Turkey (2; roasted and smoked)
Stuffing balls
Gravy
Mashed potatoes (I went with roasted jalapeño cream cheese this year)
Corn pudding
Green salad
Cranberry jello salad with whipped topping
Green beans
Cranberry sauce (2; orange/cinnamon/ginger and clove/allspice/nutmeg)
Beer bread muffins
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie

Plus, wine, apple rye punch and Irish coffee.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:20 am

First time EVER, went out on a holiday for dinner.

There were only 3 of us this year and really not worth all the effort to make a traditional thanksgiving dinner.

We had a fabulous dinner! Not rushed, food was hot and the service was excellent.

Crab bisque
Field greens salad, with apples, pecans, blue cheese and balsamic vinegarette dressing
Turkey breast, that truly tasted like it was brined, so tender and moist
Stuffing
Creamy redskin potatoes
Side order of sweet potatoes
Green beans
Pumpkin pie

It was so good, I may never do all the work of making dinner at home

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:02 pm

Update:
Chestnut dressing was amazing. Why had we not done this before?! (we have been making more southern-style cornbread dressing for some time, sometimes with oysters). This year's dressing used my husband's sourdough miche as a base.

Most fun though was cooking with DH. He usually makes thanksgiving dinner (all) while I handle guests and house stuff, as he is a very relaxed and excellent chef. But it was even less work for us both and more entertaining to just hang out and cook with him.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:34 pm

Roasted jalapeño cream cheese... that sounds wonderful. Did you make it or where did you get it?

I'm pretty sure I've not see Philadelphia brand make that :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Roasted jalapeño cream cheese... that sounds wonderful. Did you make it or where did you get it?

I'm pretty sure I've not see Philadelphia brand make that :)

Not a clue if anyone makes anything similar.

I just roast 8-12 jalapeños, remove the stems, and run through the food processor with a block of cream cheese.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:48 am

Got it - but then I could make it with hatch chilis too :)

Yum!!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:53 am

Question for those who sous vide their turkey? I agree that it's the best method for moist meat. But the skin? Do you remove it before placing the meat into the bag? And then what? Stick it under the broiler? One year we tried crisping it with a blow torch but that was a failure :lol: IMO, thanksgiving turkey is worthless without some crispy skin.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:55 am

This year I did the dark meat as a confit, so the skin went in with it. I took the (seasoned) breast skin off the light meat and baked it in the oven for 45 minutes at 400 between two pieces of parchment paper and two baking sheets. Was pretty good.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”