Neato botvac

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Neato botvac

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:12 pm

I think I want one of these... does anyone have one and what do you think?

Can it cope with fringed rugs? We have lots of them, so this would be a deal breaker.
Will it be able to manage the small slope between my mudroom addition and my kitchen? (Gee thanks, Mr. Contractor!)
Can you just move the base station from downstairs to upstairs once a week instead of owning two?
Is it worth the extra for the WiFi enabled one?

cb06
Herd Member

Re: Neato botvac

Postby cb06 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:01 am

I have one and love it. Neato D85, not the connected version.

I don't know about the fringe? might depend on how long it is? It comes with 2 types of brushes, a multi-purpose for rugs and hardwood (has brush and straight rubber) and a hard surface only (just the straight rubber)...maybe one would work better than the other? It is pretty powerful, if your regular vacuum sucks up the fringe, my bet is this will too...as would most botvacs maybe? (I would personally get unfringed rugs or cut the fringe..THAT is how much I like this thing. Lol! :) ). ETA...I just saw were some people taped the fringe to the underside of the rug...
Small slope would be no problem, the thing is like the Mars Rover. I have at least 1-2 inch difference between padded rug and hardwood...it did not even hesitate.
You can move the base where ever you want. It will return to where ever it starts.
I personally don't think the WiFi is worth it, but it is a cool feature if you don't mind springing for it?
BedBath and Beyond has 20% off one Item coupons...that is 100 off the 499 price tag...worth it to find one (or sign up for text messages and they will send you one).

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:25 am

Thak you. I have a bed bath and beyond coupon sitting on my kitchen counter--I see this in my very near future!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:48 pm

I have a Neato (dunno which model) and it is WONDERFUL. It really does a great job, and I use it daily.

It handles my mostly hard floor with some throw rugs without trouble. You might have to fix the fringe but its worth it.

jeniferkey
Greenie

Postby jeniferkey » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:15 pm

I have had Neatos for a few years now. I had one start to go out and gave it to my mother. She moves it from level to level once a week to get the entire house. After a couple of years we've had to replace batteries, and it does do a number when the cat throws up and it gets spread about, but it's always cleaned up ok afterwards. We have it blocked from the litterbox area because it doesn't handle the litter well but we wouldn't be without one now. It handles short fringe ok, but the cat toy string has to be put up or it bunches up in the brushes and then waits for us to fix it before continuing. I have not seen the wifi version. Ours has done quite well without it. Scheduled to vaccum every day while we're gone.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:32 pm

I absolutely love my Neatos (have two, one on each floor). Neither is WiFi enabled - they have a set schedule and they work every weekday, without me putting any kind of effort into it besides emptying the containers daily (or more on Monday).

They cope admirably with dog hair, carpets, hardwood, tile and reasonable length of fringe (not so long it could wrap around a brush - i think that kind of length could be a problem). No idea about cat litter because we don't have a cat. I will add to the cat puke warning that it is equally, if not more so, uncomfortable when your dog pees (or worse) on the floor and the Neato "cleans it up." Barring those kinds of nuclear disasters, Neato is absolutely the best thing since sliced bread, better than Roomba and better than Mint.

The batteries on my Neatos last for about a year (but each one cleans a large area and we have multiples of dogs) but replacement batteries can be found on Amazon for reasonable prices.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”