500 post plus club

Re: first chemo done

Postby Canyon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:32 pm

Yes - great news!

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:33 pm

Did you take any spinning with you to help pass the time?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:35 pm

Excellent news! :)

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:17 pm

Good for you! One under your belt! I hope you continue to feel great! :D

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Chance, your / our community is delighted with this excellent report. A great start, and then, carpe diem!

Nancy

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:08 pm

So glad to hear that Chancellor!

Remember this family wants to help with your treatment and recovery as well as your other families :)

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:17 pm

Great!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:10 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:18 am

That's great!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:30 pm

I'm really glad for you!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:02 pm

Yippee! You know we are with you every step of this journey.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Very welcome news. :)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:32 pm

I didn't take any spinning with me....because I was working. I actually resolved two work crises while I was having treatment!

Second day, I still feel good. No problems, no nausea. In fact, I am starving.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:08 pm

I hope you continue on this road of feeling good!

I knew a woman who showed golden retrievers. She had to get chemo and actually felt WONDERFUL during it. So good, in fact, that she named one of her show dogs "High on Chemo"! :D :D :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Really good update. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Wow, great going, very good to hear you are doing and feeling well!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:35 pm

Day three is typically the worst. When I take a friend we make sure she gets a great meal right after since she's still up for it. You may find stronger flavored foods taste better then too: Chili and mint often block the taste you'll get in your mouth. The 4th treatment may be your worst. The stronger you go into it, the better you'll be. She's heading to her 6th treatment and still doing her own farm chores and working three days a week. Hang in there. We horsewoman are tough!!!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:56 pm

I am glad it went well. What regimen are you receiving? The dexamethasone makes you feel pretty good until it wears off.
My sister has had problems (nothing grave--just feeling 'yucky' with some low grade nausea and GI issues) like days 4-8 then she start feeling better. I think the thing that has bugged her the worst is her taste went. Things don't have any taste or seem to have weird and unpleasant to her, textures.

You are blessed to be receiving treatment now where the nausea mechanism has been better elucidated and able to be pretty much stopped.

Jingles for continued smooth sailing. A positive outlook is very important. You will get through this ;) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:33 am

Hope that the treatment continues with you feeling good, and being very successful

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:Day three is typically the worst. When I take a friend we make sure she gets a great meal right after since she's still up for it. You may find stronger flavored foods taste better then too: Chili and mint often block the taste you'll get in your mouth. The 4th treatment may be your worst. The stronger you go into it, the better you'll be. She's heading to her 6th treatment and still doing her own farm chores and working three days a week. Hang in there. We horsewoman are tough!!!

I think this is considered day three and yes. Right now, it is miserable. I woke up this morning feeling exhausted. Went back to bed for a couple hours and still feel tired.
I'm mad that the doctor put the port on my left side. Because I sleep on my left side (for gastric reflux) and it is too painful to sleep on that side right now.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Can you try to get the port moved??

Sorry you aren't feel the best. It will pass as many have shared.

Wrap yourself in our thoughts and wishes and jingles :)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:36 pm

You'll quickly learn to sleep in another position. However, one thing that won't change is that damn port and your seatbelt. Make, or get someone to make, a little donut-shaped pillow to attach to your seatbelt when you're driving to keep the belt from laying on the port. And yes, "day three" is the third day after chemo, counting the infusion as day one. Fourth treatment likely to be your worst.
Rest, give up feeling normal until the infusions are finished, ask for help. Ask for help. Ask for help. Did I mention remember to ask for help? :D

Oh, and don't eat chili and mint in the same meal. That's just wrong. ;)

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:20 am

I found saturdays were my bad days.
Take every good day as a bonus. Hope you get through this as smoothly as possible.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:21 am

If your cancer side is your right side then the port would have to go ion the left side.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

HaltatG
Greenie

Postby HaltatG » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:32 am

Chancellor wrote:
Tarlo Farm wrote:Day three is typically the worst. When I take a friend we make sure she gets a great meal right after since she's still up for it. You may find stronger flavored foods taste better then too: Chili and mint often block the taste you'll get in your mouth. The 4th treatment may be your worst. The stronger you go into it, the better you'll be. She's heading to her 6th treatment and still doing her own farm chores and working three days a week. Hang in there. We horsewoman are tough!!!

I think this is considered day three and yes. Right now, it is miserable. I woke up this morning feeling exhausted. Went back to bed for a couple hours and still feel tired.
I'm mad that the doctor put the port on my left side. Because I sleep on my left side (for gastric reflux) and it is too painful to sleep on that side right now.

I agree - day three/four was the worst for me as well. I had dense-dose ACT, so only two weeks in between instead of the typical three. I was usually only able to ride the three or four days before treatment. I couldn't believe the muscle weakness I had. And yes, the port made me nuts. Not only with the seatbelt but also bra straps. The best thing about my recent mastectomy was getting the port out. You should be able to return to sleeping on that side soon however. They usually place the port on the side opposite your tumor so as to not compromise the skin if you need radiation down the road.

Are they giving you Nulasta? If so, I highly recommend taking Claratin twice daily. It helps with the bone pain side effects. I ended up in the ER with severe pain prior to starting the Claratin.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have - I've only been done with chemo a few weeks so it's very fresh in my mind.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:04 pm

I haven't had to have neulasta yet. I'm hoping my white blood cells rebound well enough that I can avoid it. My knees last night and today have been really really sore. I can usually handle that pain but boy this morning I was uncomfortable. On top of that, my stomach was upset so I couldn't take the naproxen that I usually take for knee pain.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:53 pm

So humbled by all of yu that have/are dealing with this and are so strong and brave. Hats off to all of you, as well as healing and comfort to those of you currently in the fight.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:33 pm

fergusnc wrote:So humbled by all of yu that have/are dealing with this and are so strong and brave. Hats off to all of you, as well as healing and comfort to those of you currently in the fight.

I've been channeling my inner pit bull since my diagnosis.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Chancellor wrote:
fergusnc wrote:So humbled by all of yu that have/are dealing with this and are so strong and brave. Hats off to all of you, as well as healing and comfort to those of you currently in the fight.

I've been channeling my inner pit bull since my diagnosis.

Fantastic. That is exactly what you want to channel....brave, tough, resilient, upbeat...great choice. :D

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:39 pm

HaltatG wrote: Are they giving you Nulasta? If so, I highly recommend taking Claratin twice daily. It helps with the bone pain side effects. I ended up in the ER with severe pain prior to starting the Claratin.

I had no idea. I have been on it a few times over the years, and was told Tylenol helped, and it did a bit, but I was still pretty miserable. I already have significant bone pain from my disease, so Nulasta was just icing on the cake. I will remember Claritin for the next time. Thank you.

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:18 pm

Just figured out how to sign back in. Many healing thoughts coming your way.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”