Wardrobe Malfunction

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Wardrobe Malfunction

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:30 pm

I went to go and feed and water yesterday morning and found poor Pedro the donkey in quite the predicament. His belly is too big for the belly band and he got his legs through the leg straps...

Yonka Go Away.jpg
Yonka Go Away.jpg (222.67 KiB) Viewed 11231 times
Attachments
Pedro needs help.jpg
Pedro needs help.jpg (192.41 KiB) Viewed 11231 times

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Wardrobe Malfunction

Postby KathyK » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:48 pm

Could he be any cuter? :lol:

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm

Ye, I'd say his belly is a bit big...too cute!!

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:59 pm

Pedro says, "We are not amused" :)

I have an extra pair of removable surcingles with snaps at both ends. PM me if they might help Pedro get his wardrobe back on track!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Why are you so unfairly singling out Pedro like that? It doesn't look like *anyone* in that pasture is starving ... Sure, the blanket got a bit out of kilter but, really, could have happened to anyone :lol:

goneriding
Herd Member

Postby goneriding » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:24 pm

Not sure that furball, I mean donkey, needs a blankie?

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:20 pm

It was snowing the other night, though it wasn't cold, I put the blankets on to keep the damp wet off their backs. :)

Temps are going to be around -22°F for lows and -17°F for daytime highs, with a high wind for the next few days, Pedro and his wife, Tequila, will be spending the nights in the barn under their heat lamps until this cold snap finally snaps.

Thanks for the offer for the surcingles, but I find that Pedro gets almost stringhalt like symptoms once the cold hits. It could very well be stringhalt, so I don't use the belly band as his little legs could get caught in the band.

Both Pedro and Tequila - yes PaulaO I will get more pictures of the wife ;) - are pushing 30 years old, so I try and keep them as comfortable as possible.

As for the #blondebastard and the #bigblackfreightrain standing in the back, yeah, they are looking quite plump, but even when they are fit, people think they are obese. Canadians for ya, easy keepers. :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:28 pm

What a cutie pie!!!
Wow, look at the snow.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:35 pm

Is the blonde horse also a Canadian Horse? So cute - looks a lot like a belgian or haflinger mix, for which i happen to have a very soft spot

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 am

Tuddy, please tell us about your property...all those quaint little buildings/barns...is this an old property/farm?

Your herd is ADORABLE.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:28 pm

Snork wrote:Is the blonde horse also a Canadian Horse? So cute - looks a lot like a belgian or haflinger mix, for which i happen to have a very soft spot

Yes, he is a purebred Canadian. Technically, he is a chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. But he will always be my blonde bastard. :lol:

fergusnc wrote:Tuddy, please tell us about your property...all those quaint little buildings/barns...is this an old property/farm?

Your herd is ADORABLE.

Thank you!

My husband and I live on 800 acres, we have about 14 cows left from a herd of 80, and we rent out our grain land. Most of it is now just pasture and hay land that we cut and bale ourselves. The property that we live on is what we call the "South Place", as we purchased it from the neighbor. The "North Place" is the main farm where we have the cattle and that is where everything is centralized. Equipment sheds, cattle sheds, chicken houses and the farm house where his late parents lived. Hence, when the neighbor informed us they wanted to sell, we were quick to snap it up as now our homes are only 1 mile apart.

Our place only has my horses on the property for animals. The barn yard, where these pictures were taken, is about 5 acres, and where I am standing taking the image, is the main yard, which is about 10. Attached to the barnyard, is the 20 acre pasture the horses have access to in the summer. This year was so wet, that between the barn yard and the main yard, the horses never went out onto the 20 acres.

All those little buildings that you see are former chicken houses and pig pens. Which I have just closed up as there is no power running to them and such. There is an old quonset behind my black horse, Lucas, in the first picture, that we use a loose housing barn, and of course is the barn that you can see behind the blonde horse's, Yonka, big ole booty there.

It is an old farm yard, my house was built in the 50's and never had a basement until the power came though in the 60's. Unfortunately, things are starting to need more repair than its worth, so some decisions need to be made as to what buildings need to be salvaged or replaced. I love my little barn, but it is slowly sinking into the ground.

I will have to take some images when it warms up - today's lovely high is 3°F with a windchill making it feel like -17°F. BRRRR!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Oh, and the heat lamp in the barn burnt out over night - I had some grouchy mini donkeys this morning at 5 am!!!

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am

I'm sorry ... I couldn't get past the -22 part! I was shivering today and it was 45!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 pm

Thanks Tuddy...what a cool place and story!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”