Dye from blue jeans

Tabby
Herd Member

Dye from blue jeans

Postby Tabby » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:44 pm

I have a pair of dark blue jeans that I bought about a month or so ago. I have washed them twice and I'm still getting dye coming off on my hands. The dye washes easily off my hands but I still feel like I'm walking around with blue hands all day. Why hasn't this excess dye come off in the wash? Is there any thing I can do in the next wash to get rid of it? I usually wash in cold water but I've been considering using hot water for these. However, I hate to do that to all my dark clothes and I don't really want to wash these jeans all by themselves if I can help it. Any ideas?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Dye from blue jeans

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:03 pm

I have this problem with 2 pairs. No matter how many times I've washed them, my fingers get blue dye on them if I put my hands in my pockets. It's one of those things you just have to accept.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Try putting vinegar in the wash with them. It's supposed to set the color and stop it from bleeding.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:36 pm

Thanks! Will vinegar be safe with the rest of the load or should I wash this pair alone?

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:44 pm

I use vinegar in almost every wash, but to be safe I would wash the jeans alone.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:48 pm

PaulaO wrote:I use vinegar in almost every wash, but to be safe I would wash the jeans alone.

This!

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 pm

I have a black pair with some black leather (a black leather dragon outlined in red thread). The black is rubbing off as well, but it says not to wash, just to dry clean.

The girl with the bleeding dragon patch jeans.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks! I will try the vinegar - and I will wash them alone.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:16 am

Update: I wore the jeans today for the first time after their vinegar wash. There is still a little dye coming off but not nearly as bad. The jeans themselves didn't appear to suffer any ill effects due to the vinegar so I think next time I'll throw them in with a complete load and add vinegar to everything. It's really strange - they are a brand I've been buying for decades and I've never had this problem before. You could blame Chinese manufacturing but I'm pretty sure they've been manufactured in China for a very, very long time now.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”