A toasty 5 degrees last night

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

A toasty 5 degrees last night

Postby PaulaO » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:48 pm

I'm still on the DL so no riding for me (toe still hurts from the fracture, and my back seized up). It was 5 degrees when I got to the barn, but no wind. It was lovely and still outside with an almost full moon. I stood in the parking lot for several minutes just absorbing the peace.

Miss A. is in a new stall and she is much happier. Now she can see the horses on either side of her. We did groomies and treats and handwalking. Last Tuesday there were 12 people in the indoor, last night there were 3. I would have ridden at a walk if I could. Each stall has a heated water bucket so no worries about that. Ariel has her medium weight bankie on and was toasty under it. All in all, a good night, and made me appreciate the hard work by the barn crew and staff. I don't have to deal with frozen buckets or the myriad of other problems cold weather brings. Just go and enjoy my girl.

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: A toasty 5 degrees last night

Postby Kelo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:54 pm

That is chilly! Glad Miss A likes her new stall and you had an enjoyable evening. :)

The weather forecast is telling us it's going to be 70 degrees here on Friday -- and then a low of 5 degrees on Saturday. Ugh, drastic temp swings! :shock:

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:48 pm

I just checked my weather and it is currently -4°F, but with the wind-chill factor, it feels like -24°F.

My three horses at home are doing well, they have their heads buried in a round bale, I give them extra oats for some energy. The donkeys are in the barn in their stall, with blankies and same thing, nice and warm under the blankets.

This is week 2 of this weather and it isn't supposed to let up soon.

But last night, the full moon was gorgeous and I stood outside with my guys visiting them and enjoying the peace as well, it was blissful.

Stay warm folks!!!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:04 pm

Kelo wrote:That is chilly! Glad Miss A likes her new stall and you had an enjoyable evening. :)

The weather forecast is telling us it's going to be 70 degrees here on Friday -- and then a low of 5 degrees on Saturday. Ugh, drastic temp swings! :shock:

I was just about to say that sounds like Texas weather, then I saw where you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So glad that A is doing better in her new stall.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:46 pm

Tuddy wrote:I just checked my weather and it is currently -4°F, but with the wind-chill factor, it feels like -24°F.

My three horses at home are doing well, they have their heads buried in a round bale, I give them extra oats for some energy. The donkeys are in the barn in their stall, with blankies and same thing, nice and warm under the blankets.

This is week 2 of this weather and it isn't supposed to let up soon.

But last night, the full moon was gorgeous and I stood outside with my guys visiting them and enjoying the peace as well, it was blissful.

Stay warm folks!!!

We're in it Tuddy, I"m in S. Alberta. We haven't had a "polar vortex" deep freeze like this for a few years. I keep my 23 yr old in at night he's still healing a small chest wound so haven't clipped or blanketed this winter. He's got a buffalo beaut of a coat a round bale and is toasty in the sun even on the coldest day. I ride in the afternoon so that he can go in his stall right after. Don't overwork him and he's getting fitter so not too sweaty. Next week we're back to reasonable temps. Yes that moon is stunning, and with the snow now I'm not terrified of hitting leaping deer driving home at night.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:12 pm

A good barn crew is an awesome thing. I'm freezing because it's going down to 20 F tonight. Yes, I'm a southern wimp!!!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”