Wow, what a difference a saddle makes

Imperini
Herd Member

Wow, what a difference a saddle makes

Postby Imperini » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm

Recently had the saddle fitter out and bought a new saddle. Not only does my horse move better in it, she's more willing to be forward and up, but I don't feel like I'm riding a barrel. Even my hips are happier and even riding with a long leg (they tend to be very unhappy especially riding with a long leg and contain bone spurs for those that haven't heard me complain yet lol). It's amazing! My new saddle is an older Schleese, and apparently from what I read these tend to be very hit and miss for most people but it seems to be a hit for me. The only thing I have a problem with is it comes with the largest size thigh blocks they have which I really don't like because my thighs are quite large anyway so they need a bit of extra room. Luckily they're interchangeable, so I guess I'll be putting a little more into the new saddle, and then hopefully I will be super happy along with Pal.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Wow, what a difference a saddle makes

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:08 pm

That's great that you found a great fit for you both. It really does help being comfortable in a good position.

Glad you and Paloma are settling in well together. I look forward to your updates.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:25 pm

Happy hiny! ;)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Yeah for THE one (for now :twisted: ).

Happy riding.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm sorry, I can't possibly believe a word you say until you include pictures of you riding your new girl in your new saddle. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Congrats on your success! Oh the joys of saddle shopping and fitting!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:50 pm

I'm always by myself so this is the best I can do for now but it does show off some more of her spots than the only other pic I shared of her here and of course her new dressage outfit :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:46 am

Thise are rather big blocks. I went through a big blick phase but have returned to minimal blocks. I think you will like the saddle even better streamlined a bit

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:45 pm

I moved the blocks forward a bit and they feel slightly better but I am definitely going to look into getting some of the smaller ones. My old saddle that didn't fit her was a Stubben Tristan with no blocks to speak of :lol:

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:12 am

I loved my Schleese JES Elite. Sadly it did not fit the 13hh fellow, nor does it fit my 14hh girlie.
I did not like the big blocks that it came with, and changed them out for small ones. I just got the cheapo Wintec ones.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:33 pm

It also takes a little bit of time for the flaps on new saddles to soften and mould in around the blocks, I've found.
It an be amazing what a new, well fitting (to both horse and rider!) saddle can make. Enjoy :)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:02 pm

I'm so happy for you- I got a new saddle last year and it was a great decision! Pal looks super. Very sporty in her new gear

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Yay, thanks for the photo addition. :-)

Paints
Herd Member

Postby Paints » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:01 pm

I have an older JES Elite and just love it. Mine has no thigh blocks but it is old! It is one of the ones with a Henig tree. It has been at Schleese for repair and I have been really lucky to borrow a saddle which amazingly fits us fairly well - but it has such a wide twist compared to my Schleese that I am having trouble getting my leg on and my balance is off. So to your point - what a difference a saddle makes!!!

Enjoy!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Mine is older and with a Henig tree also, the Gunnar Ostergaard model, but it was almost completely refurbished so I think they added in the interchangeable blocks. I've ordered some Wintec blocks (thanks NancyP for the suggestion) so hopefully those will fit and help because I seem to keep slipping forward into the current ones and actually am getting bruised from them. After I get warmed up it's better but I'm pretty stiff and not very flexible when I first start despite adding pre-ride stretches into my routine. I'm tempted to take the big blocks completely out until I get the new ones and see how that goes except that once I get warmed up and more flexible I feel quite good the way it is. Maybe I need to add in a jog and some cartwheels or something before I ride :D

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:28 pm

Finally got one of us together in our fancy new dressage tack

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:30 pm

I smile every time I see photos of you and your pretty mare. I love her "paint job." All the best to you and your adventures with her this year!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”