Christmas ornament portrait of experiment

Amado
Herd Member

Christmas ornament portrait of experiment

Postby Amado » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:09 pm

Thinking of trying to do these as commissions next year, but still in the experimenting with materials phase. This is a glass ornament, difficult to photograph because the paint is glossy and it's all so reflective. Last night I tried some etching paste to see if I could make the circle the horse was painted on more opaque, but I haven't finished that one yet.

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Christmas ornament portrait of experiment

Postby Josette » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:13 pm

I love it!!! IMO it is also a lovely memento for a lost horse or pet. Sign me up if you decide to pursue making these ornaments. Please consider dogs and cats too. :)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Super cool! Love it!

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:18 pm

Yes! Love it! I'd be very interested in having some made if you decide to do it!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:47 pm

Me three! That would be a lovely gift for fellow horse nuts.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:28 pm

Ok, So here is a question. I haven't decided on a price yet, I don't want to make it so inexpensive that I get too many orders, but not too expensive that I don't get any. I'm trying to keep them from being too detailed (so maybe no bridles or halters, not sure yet about that) so they don't take too long to do. I've looked at other websites - prices for this kind of thing seem to range from $50 - $125. I'm thinking somewhere in the lower middle. At least to start out. What do you think? $65?

For reference, I get $350 for a 1/4 sheet (about 9" x 12") watercolor portrait like this one that I did last year: Image

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Me four! But to complicate things, for those of us who no longer put up Christmas trees (CAT-astrophic!), can you paint on little clear glass tiles, say, 3"x3" or so, like those used in stain glass, so we can hang them in the window?? I have some dried flowers somehow pressed within a diamond-shaped piece of glass, with lead border, with attached hanging loop and suction cup hanger, so that's what I was thinking.

I think $65 is a good starting point. BTW, your watercolor is beautiful. Watercolor is not easy to do.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Yes, I absolutely could paint on a glass tile to put in an window. Maybe they sell something like that pre-made with all the hanging stuff. Or a ceramic tile for that matter. Though I don't know how sunlight fast the paints are, so that might be an issue, but I can probably figure out something that would work. Will add that to the experimental mix! (These ornaments are round, but flattened - so they would probably hang pretty well in a window - though there still might be a fading issue. (Unless you have a window that does not get direct sunlight)

Hope it's ok that I'm talking about price and commissions on this forum, btw. Wasn't sure if it was against the rules.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:11 pm

I might consider 65 too high, it would depend a little on how durable they are. does the paint wear off with some friction, for example. is it sealed?

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:32 pm

It's a special paint for glass and ceramics which you are supposed to be able to bake in an oven to cure it more and make it dishwasher safe. Even without the oven baking, you'd pretty much have to take a metal edge to it to it to peel it off. People use these kinds of paints to paint the outside of wine glasses, but it's not food safe for the inside of a dish. Normal handling of the ornament wouldn't rub it off, but you could probably get if off if you took sandpaper to it! :D.

I may try some oil paints - just to see if I like the way they handle better. These are water based enamels, and they go on a little thick and glossy and I may like working with the oils better (though they take a lot longer to dry)

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:40 pm

Here are a couple of websites that offer custom ornaments:

http://wagging-tail-studios.myshopify.c ... t-ornament

this person gets $125 for hers, they are really nice and very detailed, and I'm pretty sure she's using the same ornaments I am, but she has painted the entire thing with a color.

http://www.deedeemurry.com/ornaments.htm

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:31 am

Wow, lovely!!!
I paid just over US$100 for a painting of a dog's head on a wine glass. I thought that was great value.
Your watercolour is beautiful :)

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Found this website; I'm sure there are others. There's a link to the suction cup hanging hooks, too:

http://www.delphiglass.com/stock-bevels ... -with-hole

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:55 pm

Those look great, texsuze. Now I'm wondering if I could make those look like the old painted stained glass windows painted panels that you could see the light through. (They must've used oil paint for that, I'm sure google can find something for me!)

galopp
Herd Member

Postby galopp » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:19 am

My student just lost her (upcoming fei) horse on Xmas day (he was outside/playing and coliced badly and died within an hour). I would LOVE to get her something like this (for next year). Message me if you do that.....

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:26 am

Oh, galopp, what an awful thing to have happen. How sad for it to happen on Christmas! When I figure out the best way for me to do these, I'll let you know.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Amado, i definitely think they are worth the price you suggested, ie 65. I would simply be one if the cheapskates deterred by that price for something that is in a box for 12 months and only comes out at Christmas.

I think your work is lovely.

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:36 pm

Chisamba
You could always get one of those ornament display stands to leave it out all year.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm also not as into ornaments, but I would love a tile or some sort of plate!
:)

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 pm

Chisamba wrote:Amado, i definitely think they are worth the price you suggested, ie 65. I would simply be one if the cheapskates deterred by that price for something that is in a box for 12 months and only comes out at Christmas.

I think your work is lovely.

No worries! I wanted opinions, which is why I asked! :D (and I worry about paying a bunch of money for something that could break if the cat knocked it off the tree...)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”