Zojirushi Rice Cookers

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Zojirushi Rice Cookers

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Does anyone have one of these? We need to replace our basic X-model brand, due to the nonstick finish unsticking. . . . . I was hoping to find one without the teflon like interior and stumbled upon this brand, there may be no escaping the lining. We are not avid rice eaters, maybe once/week at most, and wouldn't purchase their top end model, but the mid-line model sounds interesting and useful for other applications too. Any users out there?

Zojirushi NS-ZCC10

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Zojirushi Rice Cookers

Postby StraightForward » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Instant pot has a stainless lining and is way more versatile
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:43 pm

StraightForward wrote:Instant pot has a stainless lining and is way more versatile

Thanks. What does it mean when they say, since this is a pressure cooker, there can be a "learning curve" with its use.. .. Do I need to check homeowner insurance for coverage?? :lol:

http://bestreviews.com/best-rice-cookers

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Use your crock pot. One cup brown rice, two and a half cups of boiling water poured onto the rice, then cooked on high for 45 min - an hour, depending on your crock pot.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:30 am

I've had the same Zojirushi Rice Cooker for years and love it and how the different rices turn out. Easy to use, can cook as soon as you close the lid or tell it when you want the rice done and easy to clean :) (The liner weighs much less than a crock pot ;) ).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:21 am

Koolkat wrote:
StraightForward wrote:Instant pot has a stainless lining and is way more versatile

Thanks. What does it mean when they say, since this is a pressure cooker, there can be a "learning curve" with its use.. .. Do I need to check homeowner insurance for coverage?? :lol:

http://bestreviews.com/best-rice-cookers

Well, for rice, I put in 2 cups of rice and 2.5 cups of water, put on the lid and push the "rice" button.

I'd say there was a bit of a learning curve in that I didn't use it a ton at first, and now I use it so much that I actually bought a second one on Black Friday and use them both at the same time about once a week.

I used to scoff at electric pressure cookers because I had a stovetop one already, but this is seriously life-changing because it needs no babysitting, so I can throw stuff in on pressure cook and leave the house, and it self-regulates and turns off automatically. No insurance rider required.
Keep calm and canter on.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:06 pm

StraightForward wrote: and it self-regulates and turns off automatically. No insurance rider required.

That's important!!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:54 am

Well we ended up with an Instant Pot, but have only used it for a slow cooker for now, it's really nice though. Thanks to all for your input.

Little did I know, we were joining a club. . . . .

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39058736

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:13 am

Welcome to the cult...I mean club.

IP made us pork and beans tonight.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:18 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:I've had the same Zojirushi Rice Cooker for years and love it and how the different rices turn out. Easy to use, can cook as soon as you close the lid or tell it when you want the rice done and easy to clean :) (The liner weighs much less than a crock pot ;) ).

We have a Zojirushi. We don't love it. Rice takes FOREVER to cook. The rice is good when it is done with the exception of wild rice. That is just plain BAD!

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Chancellor: Wild rice is not rice, which is probably why the rice cooker was unsatisfactory. I cannot remember my biology on this Sunday evening, but wild rice takes about 45 minutes to cook in a pot on the stove. At a boil, then simmer. I use a lot of it, as I make a lightly curried wild rice, orzo and lentil salad, with currents, on a regular basis during the summer. Wild rice is seeds of grass, or something like that. I expect the IP can do something with it. My daughter is a member if the IP Cult. So far, I have resisted its siren's call on the basis that my purchases have to be justifiable (excepting only horses and horse related "stuff".)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:32 am

My Zoji takes maybe 35-40 or so minutes for white rice (I"m not a fan of brown). Maybe that is forever?? I dunno, seems timely enough for me :)

I tell it when I want the rice done, add H2O and rice and hit timer and it's done when it says it's going to be done :)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:02 am

Seems awfully complicated to have a special cooker for rice. Takes 15 minutes on the stove top--melt a knob of butter (or a splosh of olive oil), sling in a cup of rice, stir until rice is coated in melted butter/going slightly transparent, add 2 cups water, bring to boil, simmer gently until all water absorbed. Perfect fluffy rice every time.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:27 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Seems awfully complicated to have a special cooker for rice. Takes 15 minutes on the stove top--melt a knob of butter (or a splosh of olive oil), sling in a cup of rice, stir until rice is coated in melted butter/going slightly transparent, add 2 cups water, bring to boil, simmer gently until all water absorbed. Perfect fluffy rice every time.

Seems complicated to me too. I don't make rice like this, but somewhat similar. When I lived in Hawaii a Japanese friend taught me how to make rice. My rice always turns out well and fluffy. I take what rice I'm going to use put it in a pot and rinse, rinse, rinse to remove all the starch I can. Then cover it with water to maybe a inch above the rice. Some salt, set it to gently boil then turn the heat way down to simmer. Check it about 15 minutes later and fluff it with a fork. I wouldn't make it any other way and I always always think of my friend.

I have a Zo Breadmaker that I've used for 25 years and it's still going strong. I only use the bread machine to make the dough and then I shape it into what I want it to be. It does a much better job of kneading than me.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:36 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:My Zoji takes maybe 35-40 or so minutes for white rice (I"m not a fan of brown). Maybe that is forever?? I dunno, seems timely enough for me :)

I tell it when I want the rice done, add H2O and rice and hit timer and it's done when it says it's going to be done :)

See the above two posts. 15-20 minutes as opposed to twice as long in the rice cooker.
I bought the rice cooker because I had been serving Scarlett rice and ground lamb for her food so I hoped to be a little less complicated. Thankfully, she is no longer on that diet.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

More complicated I'm not so sure about... add rice and water to bowl, put bowl in cooker, press 'Timer'. Done.

I guess with the Timer option, I don't care if it takes 20 minutes or 45 minutes :)

I never can get rice cooked the way I like it on the stove top... Zoji cooks it perfect for me (even at high altitude, i.e. +5k')

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:46 am

Stovetop for me, who has space for any more things that have one purpose? Plus, we don't eat that much rice. It cooks perfectly on the stove in half the time.

The Instant Pot is intriguing as I've been using my crockpot a lot this year and would like something that cooks a little faster.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:06 pm

StraightForward wrote:Welcome to the cult...I mean club.

IP made us pork and beans tonight.

:lol: I have one too and love mine. I've used it to make rice and I think it does a good job. Without the Instant Pot, I'm boiling the instant stuff that comes in bags.

It also makes great cheesecakes! :mrgreen:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”