The latest on Miss A.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

The latest on Miss A.

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:31 pm

Cuz you're dying to know.

She's happy in her new stall and seems to be cribbing less (but still cribbing). I bought a Dare cribbing collar but haven't used it yet. It looks rather formidable. She had body work 2 weeks ago (Masterson Method) and I can tell she released a lot of tension but we have quite a ways to go. On a riding note, we did baby leg yields at the walk and attempted a shoulder fore. She learns so quickly.

I look at other horses at the barn--big warmbloods doing lessons with strictly dressage trainers and part of me wants to do that and another part of me says no way, just enjoy yourselves. So we are just enjoying ourselves.

And, the horses were in for 2 days over Christmas, yet I rode her with no problem. No running, jumping out of her skin, just a nice ride on a nice horse.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: The latest on Miss A.

Postby Tuddy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:43 pm

PaulaO wrote:Cuz you're dying to know.

She's happy in her new stall and seems to be cribbing less (but still cribbing). I bought a Dare cribbing collar but haven't used it yet. It looks rather formidable. She had body work 2 weeks ago (Masterson Method) and I can tell she released a lot of tension but we have quite a ways to go. On a riding note, we did baby leg yields at the walk and attempted a shoulder fore. She learns so quickly.

I look at other horses at the barn--big warmbloods doing lessons with strictly dressage trainers and part of me wants to do that and another part of me says no way, just enjoy yourselves. So we are just enjoying ourselves.

And, the horses were in for 2 days over Christmas, yet I rode her with no problem. No running, jumping out of her skin, just a nice ride on a nice horse.

I love everything about this post! #2017goals

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:46 pm

PaulaO wrote:I look at other horses at the barn--big warmbloods doing lessons with strictly dressage trainers and part of me wants to do that and another part of me says no way, just enjoy yourselves.

Psssst -- they are not mutually exclusive!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 pm

KathyK, in my case they are. If I ever HAVE to do another 20 meter circle I will die, simply die. I like dressage for the training aspect. They all can benefit from it. I was so excited when Ariel stretched her head and neck down and forward for 2 walk strides. Like I had done a canter pirouette.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 am

PaulaO wrote:I was so excited when Ariel stretched her head and neck down and forward for 2 walk strides. Like I had done a canter pirouette.

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about, not endless 20 meter circles.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:41 pm

If an instructor is making you do endless 20m circles, you need to get a new instructor!
In the meantime, I love you that are enjoying her. When/if you feel like taking lessons, jump in and have fun!

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:48 pm

I rode a little hunter confidence builder sort for the last two years before I got Pal and he was exactly what I needed to get back into riding. Sometimes that no pressure sort of riding purely for the joy of riding is just what is needed and I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:05 pm

And we cantered last night, not even in a lesson. It was one of those spontaneous lovely evenings where riders were walking around, kibbutzing with the trainers, totally relaxed atmosphere. I mentally gave her the aids and off we went. I'm an unconfident canterer....

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Good to hear things are going well with you and Miss A.

I feel like you, if I have to do another 20 or 10 meter circle I'm going to scream !!!!

We are doing them when my girl gets quick or when working on teaching "us" bending....UGH...I hate circles.....I realize they are necessary to get her "back" - but, I still hate them.....LOL

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:47 pm

PaulaO wrote:And we cantered last night, not even in a lesson. It was one of those spontaneous lovely evenings where riders were walking around, kibbutzing with the trainers, totally relaxed atmosphere. I mentally gave her the aids and off we went. I'm an unconfident canterer....

But you both are getting there in your relationship and I think you will become confident at the canter. I think you both have to know you can depend on each other.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:13 pm

I'm so happy for you! this is one of the best "threads" of 2016 to me!
Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:22 pm

I, too, always enjoy your updates, Paula. You remind me of how lucky we all are to have horses in our lives!

I remember those "spontaneous" canters when the getting comfortable and the moment seemed right. We actually had a spontaneous gallop this past week in a large field :-D Our canter felt good and big, so I asked her to turn it up. I didn't think Emi had it in her to get out of canter and GO, but she did it and snorted with glee!! There is one extra well groomed hayfield (without holes) at our new barn and we are enjoying it.

I would love to find an AP-type saddle that fits Emi for these hayfield workouts, but that is another thread. Neither Emi nor I have any interest in jumping---but we love doing the conditioning work.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 am

Piedmont, I ride Ariel in an HDR all purpose that I bought used. It's old school with minimum padding and no knee rolls. The kind that will mold to the horse. I love it even more than I loved my Passier dressage saddle, which was a lot.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:09 pm

If Emi were built more like a thoroughbred, it would be easier to find a decent used hunt saddle for her. However, she is not (she is simultaneously round like a baroque horse while also having a serious wither). I tried a Zaldi once on her thinking that a Spanish saddle maker would understand the oddities of an Iberian build but it was not tenable. More typical brands that worked well on other horses are not even worth girthing on her. I loved my Passier dressage saddle too but it does not fit my current horse!

My DH will not part with his minimalist Smith Worthington hunt saddle that fit a thoroughbred he leased years ago. It is a lovely slip of a saddle!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:28 am

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:34 pm

The Kent and Masters saddles are a good tip--thanks!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”