Trucks! Seeking your opinions

HafDressage
Herd Member

Trucks! Seeking your opinions

Postby HafDressage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:18 am

Okay horse people, tell me what type of truck you haul with and what you find the most important.

I'm hoping to buy a 2-horse gooseneck, so I'm looking at 3/4 ton trucks. I live in the south, so I don't really have to deal with things like ice or mountains to haul over.

Brands? Chevy, Dodge, GMC, Ford
4x4?
Gas or Diesel?

I'm hoping to find used, but we'll see how it goes. Any opinions or thoughts are more than welcome. :)

exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trucks! Seeking your opinions

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:41 am

Diesel - best engine - depends on the year of manufacture. I have, so far, always ended up with Fords for my personal truck simply because they've 'fit the bill' with the best pricing and body/structure/suspension has held up better than others (dodge) that I've had for work. I always get a long bed for my gooseneck trailers and I have never purchased a 4 x 4 for personal use (have had them for work). My philosophy is that if I need a 4 x 4 to get through then I don't want to be out hauling a horse trailer.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:12 am

A friend has the 1500 Ram Eco Diesel and has had a horrific amount of trouble with it. When he tried to trade it in after 8 months of misery,
he was told he was almost 15K upside down in it. :0
That being said, I have many friends who have the 2500 Cummins diesel who rave about them.

Ford makes a good diesel these days, but avoid the 6.0 engine at all costs.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:43 am

We only purchase Ford trucks and have been very satisfied with how they held up. Our older F150 year 1996 still running fine. A friend purchased an almost new Dodge Diesel and had problems within several months. She lost lots of money when she gave up on it and traded it in.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:08 am

Thank you everyone!!! Definitely exactly the info that I was looking for!

redsoxluvr wrote:Ford makes a good diesel these days, but avoid the 6.0 engine at all costs.

Do you mean for any brand or in a Ford?

exvet wrote:My philosophy is that if I need a 4 x 4 to get through then I don't want to be out hauling a horse trailer.

This was interesting to hear! I've been super torn about this because I don't feel I need it given where I live and go, but I wasn't sure if others would share that opinion or not.

Thank you again guys & keep em coming! I'm open to as much advice and as many opinions as I can get. It's a lot of money, so I want to make a really good choice. :)

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:58 pm

Our new Ford F150 is a 4x4 because of snow. However, I will mention our old F150 when I pulled a 2-Horse bumper pull trailer and parked on a grassy field - I sometimes got caught with spinning tires. That situation and the snow was the specific reason why I switched to the 4x4 in next Ford.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:35 pm

redsoxluvr wrote:A friend has the 1500 Ram Eco Diesel and has had a horrific amount of trouble with it. When he tried to trade it in after 8 months of misery,
he was told he was almost 15K upside down in it. :0
That being said, I have many friends who have the 2500 Cummins diesel who rave about them.

Ford makes a good diesel these days, but avoid the 6.0 engine at all costs.

I will NEVER EVER buy another Dodge again. I mean, how long SHOULD the doors on a truck reliably close?

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:39 pm

The heavier the truck, often the less trouble you have with 'spinning' but in all honesty I just would put railroad ties in the truck bed for weight (never had anything less than a 3/4 ton). This was when I did have to drive around in blizzard conditions (no horse trailer). I have found that my gooseneck puts enough weight in the bed to give me traction. If it doesn't, again, I don't need to be out hauling in it.

I also have to back up the statement of avoiding the FORD 6.0 L diesel engine. I have one. I get away with it; but, to 'make it right' would cost me close to 5K.

As for the Dodge, comment.....LOL....I just want to know do their inside door handles ever make it more than 2 years????? Oh and don't get me started on the rear view mirror. Little things, but come on.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:53 pm

The Ford 6.0 diesels are awful. If you see a used Ford that seems way cheaper than normal, it's probably a 6.0. The 6.4 or 7.3 diesels are far better.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

This thread is not about what I thought it was about..lol. :shock: :lol: :lol:

I'm no help with trucks you drive down the road, other than to say that Dodge (now Ram) is by and far the winner in Texas for people who pull a lot of stock or really heavy items. I also used to work in the natural gas pipeline industry and in the field, Dodge was the #1 truck there as well. I think for most people who do hard work with their vehicles, the majority are going to own Dodge/Ram trucks. This is just based on my experience.

People used to laugh when we would send a Dodge to pull them out when they were stuck on the right of way, or the grade was so steep that their vehicle couldn't make it out. I have photos somewhere of Dodge trucks towing 18 wheelers up steep mountains, pulling bulldozers out of mud, and pulling other trucks out.

Full disclosure, my father always owned Dodge trucks growing up and I currently own a Ram truck that I love. We always had petrol trucks, though most everyone I know has diesel versions.

I would take a 7.3 Ford, but they are like finding a unicorn out here, and if you do find one, you are going to pay quite a bit for it and it will likely have 300k+ miles on it.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:47 pm

Racetrack, you're dating yourself. 8-)

Diesel for sure, 4WD for those sticky sloppy fields you're sure to park in. Towing packages should ensure heavier duty brakes and suspension. Dodge seem overpriced to me, though anything with a Cummins engine should be good. Kind of like aways looking for a Briggs and Straton in small engines. Loved my gooseneck!!

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:22 pm

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel. Runs like a top, nothing has fallen off of it. It did need a new heater coil and a new alternator this year. It definitely drives like a truck, and it's loud, but it's 18 years old with less than 135,000 miles on it so it's sticking around. My mechanic swears by Chevy's (Duramax). I like four wheel drive because it allows me to drive through pastures and fields without issues. I wouldn't buy a new Dodge, but I have strangers come up to me, ask what year it is, and offer to buy it. Go figure. Dodges are big in Oregon.
Last edited by Code3 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Mine is a 1999 Ford F350 V10 dually. Trucks in my area are super expensive, and I was looking for used. It is actually more truck than I was looking for, but since I was buying used, and this truck was a (relatively) good price, I went with it. It's the bare bones model, and I pretty much only use it for pulling the trailer, as the gas would kill me if it were my everyday vehicle.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:26 pm

My search started with diesel only, but the only ones I found were badly used or, in one case, a Cummins 2500 that hadn't had all relevant maintenance done by its mechanic owner (Dad owned the same one). Boy was he *pissed* at the woman who dared question his "all maintenance has been done" and there were "no recalls" (three at the time). The best part was questioning about the recent hood latch recall ... after he spent 10 minutes fiddling with the hood to get it to latch. Yeah.

Anyway, I ended up with a Ford F250, [ETA: 2002 V8], 60k miles, gas engine, 4x4, long bed, regular cab that had been a well cared for fleet vehicle. It's needed new tires (need to put a new set on already) and one of the two exhaust manifolds (common problem on my model per the 3 truck mechanics in the family). I've happily hauled from here to Memphis, and up I95 to NH.

If I were buying new, I'd go with a Duramax diesel (Chevy) or, if it ever comes out, the Toyota Cummins.

I tow a 2 horse + tack bumper pull with a stabilizer hitch.
Last edited by heddylamar on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Sunshine2Me wrote:Mine is a 1999 Ford F350 V10 dually. Trucks in my area are super expensive, and I was looking for used. It is actually more truck than I was looking for, but since I was buying used, and this truck was a (relatively) good price, I went with it. It's the bare bones model, and I pretty much only use it for pulling the trailer, as the gas would kill me if it were my everyday vehicle.

I have a 2000 F250 XLT 4x4 with the V10 and have been very happy with it. It was a one-owner creampuff old man truck. I paid under $8K eight years ago and I've taken it from Boise to Colorado to pick up my trailer, and hauled it home in a snow storm (never again :shock: ) and also took it to California (over Donner Pass) to pick up a horse. Otherwise, I mostly do short trips and drive it when the roads are bad or I need to do truck things. The AC compressor went out last summer, but otherwise, it's only needed regular maintenence. I've had to put it in 4WD twice while towing a trailer - first time was leaving an unfamiliar barn where the driveway was packed ice and had a slight incline, and recently, getting up my trainer's driveway when the ground was saturated (soft dirt, no gravel, etc.). So it's pretty uncommon that 4x4 comes into play when hauling, and if I'd been in 2WD with the second scenario, I could have backed out and gotten in a different way. My trailer is a warmblood size 2 horse Featherlight with dressing room, so it weighs <3,000# when empty. I think in your situation, I would go for 2WD because you can get a lot more truck for your money that way. For the amount that I haul, and the size of my trailer, the extra money for a diesel just wasn't worth it, but I would go diesel if I was hauling a bigger trailer and putting on lots of miles.
Keep calm and canter on.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:53 pm

I wasn't around for the original truck thread, but happened to read it years later, when it was brought up again. It's always good for a :lol: :lol: though.

Coincidentally, I just received an e-mail, from my truck. It told me that all major systems had been checked and found in good working order, and what the pressure was in my tires, that my washer fluid is getting low, etc.

I do not have 4 wheel drive, and I did really want it, but just couldn't justify the additional cost for as little as I would use it. I know that 4x4 is one of those things that you don't need until you need it, so that's why I wanted to have it, just in case. I do have a towing package and my salesman (friend from high school who is also a police officer) looked up all of the towing numbers and ratings. He said that I was well within the safety limits for what I was wanting to pull, a small stock trailer with 1 horse, with the truck I purchased. Also, one of my best friends has the previous year model of my same truck and has no issue pulling a 3 horse GN with 3 horses loaded.

On used trucks- I looked all over for a used truck before I purchased new, but the fact was that the trucks that were listed as used were more than what I paid for my new truck, after incentives and rebates. My new truck also has tons of options that I didn't really want or wasn't looking for, but again, for the price, I just said ok. Things like remote start, power folding mirrors, power rear sliding glass, towing camera, LED bed and mirror lights, etc., weren't important to me, but now that I have some of them, I love them. I also have free oil changes for life, free car washes, and lots of other goodies that came in my thank you package from the dealership.

SnowHorse
Herd Member

Postby SnowHorse » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:25 pm

Another vote on NEVER another Dodge!
We had one (dually 3500), and it was a POS that needed to be fixed in every turn. Most "fun" was when I had to go tow it home from two hours away with our tiny old (1995, 1500) GMC (which has never had a wrench on the engine), when the fuel pump broke. You couldn't fix a broken part, but you always had to buy a complete assembly, which was to the tune of $1200 each time, just for the "part".

We also had a Ford years ago which was OK.

Our "newest" is a bare bones GMC Sierra 4x4 (2500, 2010 model bought new), which has been **very** dependable. At 220K miles it's been well worth the money, no "shop time" on it. When time runs out on that one I'm sure we'll look into another GMC.
Face masks! Bandanas! Posters, mugs, cards etc - http://www.zazzle.com/okiepony/products -- Horses, cats, butterflies, Hummingbirds, quotes, sillies, patterns - everything!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:10 pm

exvet wrote:
As for the Dodge, comment.....LOL....I just want to know do their inside door handles ever make it more than 2 years????? Oh and don't get me started on the rear view mirror. Little things, but come on.

Actually, I think those are probably the only two components, apart from the engine and the cigarette lighter, that I haven't had to replace on my 2000 Dodge 2500 Diesel that I've owned since it was brand new and envy-making. The engine is fabulous and lovely to drive and tow with, the (replacement) automatic transmission is pretty good, the (replacement) 4WD is pretty good, the (replacement) doors now actually close, the (replacement) seats are still pretty comfortable... The fuel gauge gave up the ghost some years ago and is a $1200 replacement (of something I replaced once already) so I cope without. It needs some serious body work as it is now starting to rust pretty badly, but it only has 160K miles on it, so it's what I've got for now.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:56 am

I have always had excellent luck with Chevys for cars, and ended up finding an excellent deal on a used Chevy truck with low mileage when I started my search about 7 or 8 years ago. Going with the theory of wanting more truck than you might need, as opposed to less, I only considered a 3/4 ton. I don't think I was opposed to non-Chevys, it was just a matter of all the pieces lining up with the must have set versus the would be nices.

I have a 2005, 2500HD and love "him". Gas engine. Wasn't opposed to diesel, it just worked out to be gas. He is a work truck...no frills. Cloth interior, manual windows, etc. not too long after I bought him he needed a new alternator, but I got lucky and he died 5 houses up my street and my neighbor replaced the alternator for me with me just paying for parts. Knock wood, that was our only issue.

I looked into getting a gooseneck trailer and having a hitch installed in the bed, but trailer costs put an end to that idea. After the fact, I did hear that my standard 6' bed had the potential for not being long enough to accommodate all goosenecks depending on the nose of the trailer and the tightness of turns, but have also had knowledgeable trailer people tell me it was not as big a concern as others had led me to believe. Either way, glad I ended up with my bumper pull. But may be something to ask about when you look at trucks and trailers?

I only considered 4x4s even though I live in NC. Having had a trainer get stuck in the pasture parking at a show with two horses on her trailer and being pulled out with a tractor, it confirmed by logic of "better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it". That day they had her park in an atypical parking area, and when it was time to leave, she couldn't. We also use the truck a lot for farm chores, and as a primary vehicle for DH who works from home and rarely needs to go places. He has had to put in in 4WD doing various errands related to our fixer upper Reno, and I have had to put it in 4WD for pasture parking at the farmers market...not trailer, just driving truck. DH also got truck stuck during fence building, with 4WD, and neighbor had to pull him out with tractor. (But DH sort of messed up, truth be told). All that to say, it's really nice to have and we do use it more than you'd expect to need it.

Like a goofball, I didn't check the capacity of the hitch when I bought truck. I did make sure it was welded to the frame. It is a solid capacity for the 2H BP I bought, no dressing room, even with two really big horses (and I actually only have one really big guy and one pony). If I had installed it, I would have had a "bigger" hitch welded to frame. Just something to consider/check depending on how heavy your preferred trailer and horses are.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:02 am

Thank you everyone for the feedback! Very helpful. Sounds like there are some issues with the Dodges, so that doesn't make me too enthused on that front.

I will say, it is HARD to find a used 2500 without a million miles on it. People seem to buy them new and hang on to them forever. Especially the diesel engines.

Okay, so someone tell me what the old "Trucks" thread was about? I don't know and I want in on the joke. :)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:38 am

HafDressage wrote:Sounds like there are some issues with the Dodges, so that doesn't make me too enthused on that front.

A Cummins diesel, of any mileage, will run and run and run ... far after the rest of the truck falls apart. :lol:

In UDBB lore, a truck = male appendage.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:51 am

OK I just bought a new truck and will give you my insights.

1. I completely disagree about having 4WD - I would bpnever in a million years have a truck without it. I only use it like once a year, but when you need it, you need it. i never want to be in a position where I am stuck with a horse in the trailer.

2. I used to haul with a chevy 150 and would never ever do it again. Went through two transmissions in under 100k miles.

3. Had an ancient F250 gas truck and used it for years. Really sturdy truck and never left me in a bind. It was a completely different experience than hauling with a 150, just much more solid.

4. Finally upgraded to a new diesel f250 and it's amazing. I haul a fair amount and really appreciate the new features.

My recommendation - buy a bigger truck than you need and get the 4WD.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:40 pm

LOL, I guess I've always been enough of a pain in the ass that I simply won't park where I know I have even a small percentage of a chance of getting stuck. I'll leave the show grounds or they'll find me better accommodations. Usually the issue was met during competitive trail trials (parking usually in someone's pasture or campground); but, again I always got my way in the end. Yes, I've done the tractor pull the truck/trailer out scene before and that was when I was driving my father's truck which was a 4 x 4 (back in NC when I was showing as a kid). I've hauled quite a bit in the snow and promised myself when I moved to Arizona, never again. So, I'm one who prefers to save the money whenever I can and make sure I know what I'm parking on (ie, solid ground). I'm also one who refuses to buy a dually for the same reason. I have no need to pay for the extra tires, the lower fuel mileage, etc. I've had many one tons and none have been duallys. To each his own, but keep in mind a 4 x 4 does nothing for you on ice, doesn't always get you out of the mud (especially Carolina red clay) and can give a false sense of capabilities..............Now if we want to talk having a 4 x 4 to go off-roading with (not hauling a loaded trailer full of live horses), then I'm fool enough to spend the money.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Well, no one has mentioned a GMC Sierra, but I found a model year 2000 used one in 2002 with low miles and absolutely loved it. It was a 2500HD 4x4 with an 8 foot bed and a V8 6.0L gas engine. It hauled my 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room like it wasn't even back there. Awesome truck.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:16 pm

LeoApp wrote:Well, no one has mentioned a GMC Sierra, but I found a model year 2000 used one in 2002 with low miles and absolutely loved it. It was a 2500HD 4x4 with an 8 foot bed and a V8 6.0L gas engine. It hauled my 2 horse bumper pull with dressing room like it wasn't even back there. Awesome truck.

Thanks for adding this. I looked at one this week, but it is just lacking any features. Is a 2500, but doesn't have power doors/windows, 4x4, diesel, and the list goes on. So, they wanted around $21,000 for it, which isn't a bad deal, but it's just not quite what i'm looking for.

Trucks = male appendage. Funny. Now I feel like I've let you guys down with a boring thread on trucks. :)

For those with a 4 horse, how big a truck would I need for that? Can a 2500 haul a 4 horse or no?

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 am

I have already used the 4x4, at the barn where I board, and I have less than 500 miles on the truck lol.

We have to park in a grass area. Rain storm, slipping around, drop it in 4 w low and pulled right out.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:51 am

Consider where you'll drive too.

If it's wet, I need 4H to park at the current barn. Between the steep angled, loose gravel single-lane drive that's fenced on both sides, and the grassy dip, then hill, lined with fence and trees that I need to back the trailer into, no 4wd would turn parking into a contact sport.

Plus, I'm a huge fan of off-roading :) Sucks in a F250 (too damn big), but it's a blast in our occasional good snow storms.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:32 am

My GMC had power windows, daytime running lights, a CD player, headlights that went on automatically when it got dusky, a bed liner and a locking tonneau cover. So for sure they are out there. Somewhere!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:12 pm

Forgot to say, re 4wd...I am not good at backing yet. Last time I hooked up the trailer to move it and practice, I messed up and needed to go into the hay field to turn around. The field has some ruts and I got myself in a weird spot and sort of stuck. It was totally dry. The trailer is a warmblood sized BP, no dressing room. I think the empty weight if 3200 pounds. 2500HD truck. And we weren't moving. I didn't want to tear things up so didn't push it. Did 4wd high. No go. 4WD low, and I got it. So, my lack of experience was overcome with 4WD thankfully. :-)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Dodge cummins diesel, I love ours and it's old enough to drink and still pulls like a beast. It's got 150k miles so I imagine we'll have it a while longer. I pull a heavy 3 horse steel trailer and it doesn't even know it's back there, and it gets 20mpg towing or not. Dodgezilla is the best truck we've had, went through a couple fords which were lemons.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:33 am

Fatcat wrote:Dodge cummins diesel, I love ours and it's old enough to drink and still pulls like a beast. It's got 150k miles so I imagine we'll have it a while longer. I pull a heavy 3 horse steel trailer and it doesn't even know it's back there, and it gets 20mpg towing or not. Dodgezilla is the best truck we've had, went through a couple fords which were lemons.

What model was this? I hear really good things about the Cummins diesel, but not good things about the quality of everything else in the truck....so that leaves me torn. The Ram 2500 made the least reliable cars list this year, so cumulatively, I have no idea what to think about the Dodges.
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reli ... able-cars/

Again thank you everyone and feel free to chime in more whenver you think of things. :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:59 pm

I've pulled my 4-horse fully loaded with my 1996 Ford F250 diesel. I upgraded to a 1 ton because we were hauling frequently through the mountains. My F250 could handle it 2-4 times a year (in addition to hauling locally 2-3 times a week) but once it became more frequent than that I knew I needed a larger truck. We were always pulling fully loaded and the speed with which we had to go (slow) uphill with the F250 just became a bit too concerning. If it weren't for that, though, I wouldn't have switched out. That F250 is still my favorite truck.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm

HafDressage wrote:
Fatcat wrote:Dodge cummins diesel, I love ours and it's old enough to drink and still pulls like a beast. It's got 150k miles so I imagine we'll have it a while longer. I pull a heavy 3 horse steel trailer and it doesn't even know it's back there, and it gets 20mpg towing or not. Dodgezilla is the best truck we've had, went through a couple fords which were lemons.

What model was this? I hear really good things about the Cummins diesel, but not good things about the quality of everything else in the truck....so that leaves me torn. The Ram 2500 made the least reliable cars list this year, so cumulatively, I have no idea what to think about the Dodges.
http://www.consumerreports.org/car-reli ... able-cars/

Again thank you everyone and feel free to chime in more whenver you think of things. :)

It's a Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, but it's a '94 vintage, so can't speak to reliability of newer models. It's been incredibly reliable.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:15 pm

Fatcat wrote:It's a Dodge Ram 2500 SLT, but it's a '94 vintage, so can't speak to reliability of newer models. It's been incredibly reliable.

The 96-97 models are great too. With the exception of a rusted brake line, it's only had routine/factory/recall needs. And it could use a lot of cosmetic help, but dad's kept it outside and rarely washes or waxes it, etc.

And, yes, the 97 Cummins gets the 20+ mpg. The gas Ford F-250 I mentioned upthread averages 13 mpg.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:06 am

I have had F250's, 2 of them since'93. The original 7.3?L and now the 07 6.0 which I know is supposed to suck but has been fine for us, bought new and well maintained. I have over 180,000 on it now. I would not own a Dodge though my farrier loves them and his wife who is a vet does too. I would own a GMC/Chevy possibly, but prefer the Fords. Not sure if I will go back with a diesel again next truck, love the towing ability but dang that is an expensive add. Will probably look at a fleet truck as in bare bones type, though I do love my leather seats in the 07! We usually buy new but man the price tag of a new tricked out diesel is steep!!!

I pull a 2H GN, though would love a 2+1. Would probably not pull much bigger with a 3/4 ton, would go to 1 ton but not necessarily a dually (hate a dually).

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:00 am

I've been following this thread and have a question for those who haul a gooseneck with a 6.5' box (instead of the 8' box) -- any problems?
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:00 pm

DJR wrote:I've been following this thread and have a question for those who haul a gooseneck with a 6.5' box (instead of the 8' box) -- any problems?

Depending on the shape of the nose of your gooseneck, you have to be careful how sharp you turn or you can catch the corner of the cab with the nose of the gooseneck. If I remember correctly, we didn't have an issue with the cone-shaped nose, just the square ones.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:13 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
DJR wrote:I've been following this thread and have a question for those who haul a gooseneck with a 6.5' box (instead of the 8' box) -- any problems?

Depending on the shape of the nose of your gooseneck, you have to be careful how sharp you turn or you can catch the corner of the cab with the nose of the gooseneck. If I remember correctly, we didn't have an issue with the cone-shaped nose, just the square ones.

This ^^^ The only problem I had was with a little, old camping trailer I had, backing up into a very tight space, and crinkled the corner of the cab on the camper.
Actually, the trailer had a rounded nose, not a cone, but I think the gooseneck attachment was further forward with it than the camper.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:36 pm

My 07 has a short bed on it, no trouble hauling my GN which is an Exiss and not a V nose trailer. But I came from pulling BP trailers so know to be cautious in turning regardless. Love my set up for hauling, though would love to upgrade trailer to 2+1.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:29 am

Racetrackreject wrote:

This is what I was told too - that you could accidentally hit the gooseneck on the cab with a short box. Although I think it depends on the shape of the gooseneck.

I also had someone tell me that the long box pulls better because of something about the weight distribution in the bed. I can't remember super well what was said, but I do know it was said.

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:23 pm

Proud owner of a '97 F250 7.3L diesel here...bought at 72k miles, now at 220k and still going strong. We need to do some turbo work on it, but it still has enough oompf to pull a 24' enclosed car hauler, loaded (about 9k pounds) over the Rockies. Previously hauled a 3H GN no problem.

Get diesel if you can, even if you have to sacrifice mileage. Diesels last longer, and generally have more torque that gas. Unfortunately, fuel is more expensive now grrr. And like others said - 4x4 is a must-have for us. Barns tend to have dirt driveways that turn into mud lol.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:38 am

Haven't read the whole thread. I have a 2007 F250 6.0 diesel (horrified gasps!) 4x4, extended cab, long bed, manual transmission. I custom ordered the truck to my specs. I love it like I've loved few things in my life. Yes the 6.0 doesn't have a great rep, I have a good one. Hopefully I'm not jinxing it by saying that. When our mobile mechanic was out working on DH's truck (2006 F350, also 6.0, has custom utility bed, weighs ~13K going down the road) he asked if I wanted him to stick my truck on the computer. Sure! He did, and looked at me "If you ever do a radiator flush on this truck you should save the flush, bottle it, and sell it as holy water to other 6.0 owners."

Anyway, I love my truck. I love Fords. I also have a Mustang (the grey pony) which I love very much. I loved my Honda Accord for many years, then it got stolen, hence the Mustang, which is beautiful, and I love it.

Back to trucks.

It is unlikely I would ever buy anything but a Ford. Their ergonomics work for me. When you spend the hours in a truck that I have, this is important. I broke my back very badly 10+ years ago. There are very few chairs I find comfortable for very long. I could live in the front seat of my truck. I once drove a friends very nice crew cab dually fully loaded leather Duramax with a 3 horse trailer from San Luis Obispo to Cave Creek AZ. ~ 600 miles. Longest day of my life. On paper, a lovely truck. I hated it. Killed my back, the Allison transmission irritated me no end. Dodge, just no. I have great respect for the Cummins engine, if Dodge ever builds a decent truck around that engine, everyone else can go home. I know many people that have them and love them, my farrier has two, and old one that you can't kill, she had an early 2000s that she hated, she just got a newer one and loves it.

Here's my advice, for the trailer you want, you need a 3/4 ton. 4x4, up to you. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. My definition of off road is a gravel parking lot, that said, I've used it on wet grass at horse shows, and going up gravel driveways. My tires are all terrain but not aggressively so. Parelli Scorpions, I've been very happy with them FWIW.

All makers haver strengths and weaknesses. Go sit in trucks (unless you're young or not a person who finds things uncomfortable and then it doesn't matter so much). Sit in them for a long time, at least an hour. Read a book. Then drive them. Buy a truck that you ENJOY driving, that feels natural, and safe, and solid. Can you drive it smoothly? Really smoothly? Pull away from a stop with a glass of water on the dash and not spill any? My BFF has a gas Chevy, nice truck, newish truck. Something about the way the accelerator is designed makes it very hard to pull out of dead stop smoothly. Like its got a laggy carburetor but it's obviously fuel injected. And the mirrors suck.

Get what you like, get a 3/4 ton, get 4x4 if you possibly can, and get a long bed. I would never buy a truck with a short bed, for a variety of reasons.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:39 am

Quelah - Thanks for your great post!!!

I'm leaning towards 4x4 & Diesel, although probably care more than 4x4 than the diesel based on what people are saying. I'm not one of these handy savvy types, so I've decided without the 4x4 I would probably make some redic decision and end up stuck in a puddle (of sorrow).

I've found a Ford dealer in my area that I like so far. I went to the Chevy dealer and they just didn't seem to be playing ball, whereas the Ford dealer seems to be working harder to try to earn my business. Granted I'm going used, so some of it might just be what they have, but my guess is a Ford is a definite possibility. I'm not super fussy in terms of comfort (or at least not as fussy as all the other dressage riders I know, but still pretty fussy relative to normal people :lol: )... but super secretly I really wish I could find one with bluetooth handsfree phone hookup. I'm sure I won't get that wish, but now that I'm used to it in my car, that is one feature I'm having a hard time giving up.

For everyone out there:
Is a 2500/250 enough truck to pull a four horse (maybe lets say like a Sundowner or Shadow) or does that put you into the 350 category?

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:34 pm

For a 4 horse I'd want a 1 ton dually. People pull them with single rear wheel trucks, but I'd want a bigger truck.

If you can, get a truck with leather and heated seats, you won't regret it.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:55 pm

I have a Dodge 3/4 ton with a Cummins in it. I find that a lot of people don't understand the power of a Cummins. Mine can haul ass.

My stock trailer is 14ft long, and it doesn't have an issue hauling 5 cows that range from 800-1100 lbs. So that is like 4 horses.

Dodge might not be easy on the eyes, it doesn't have the cab space and prettiness of the other trucks, but it works. You want something that will tow your horses around safely, or do you wanna look nice in the parking lot?

Besides, Dodge has sexy Sam Elliot narrating their commercials, how can you go wrong with that!!!! 8-) 8-)

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:18 pm

Your choice between 3/4 and 1 ton depends on a few more decisions. You need to look up that particular truck's towing capacity (it varies amongst the years & engine options), and subtract 20% (at least, more if gas). If your loaded trailer weighs 8k, make sure the figure you come up with is at LEAST 9k. If not, you're stressing everything, and it will wear out faster. That's for a BP; You can get away with towing a heavier GN though.

That said, if you DO go up to 1ton, my advise is against a dually, unless you're ONLY going to be using it for towing. They're a royal PITA to park, and even more difficult if you get a flat (because it's always the inside tire, go figure). There's also the extra cost of said 2 more tires.

I forgot to mention; get an automatic. The ride is so much easier and smoother for your horses.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”