Heipful idea for those who do their own barn work.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Heipful idea for those who do their own barn work.

Postby Dapple Field » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I have seen many ads for the stuff you spray on britches to keep you stuck to the saddle and I thought I'd try it on my mittens and gloves when cleaning stalls and sweeping. The stuff is awesome! No more tired hands from trying to hold onto the pitchfork, wheelbarrow, and broom when doing the barn with double layer mittens and or gloves. My farrier even tried it because he couldn't use gloves while trimming or shoeing. He said it helped him immensely. So, even if this old body isn't all that great anymore, at least my mind is still coming up with novel ideas!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Heipful idea for those who do their own barn work.

Postby Canyon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:15 pm

Now that’s an interesting idea! Does the stick-um last a while? Does it build up and make the gloves useless eventually?

I bought these neoprene fishing gloves during their Black Friday sale for $7.50. They offer a nice grip on tools and are much warmer than I expected; I was out feeding this AM when it was below 0, and my hands stayed warm.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:45 pm

THAT is clever! And I love clever ideas. Don't think I have any to add except maybe the spray-on-corn oil (cheaper=better) to keep snowballs from building up under the hoof sole. Oh and I used that spray on foam insulation to insulate my water tank. That works well, and even better if you don't have a pony who wants to amuse themselves by pulling it off. :twisted:

In which case, you can wrap in chicken wire.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:THAT is clever! And I love clever ideas. Don't think I have any to add except maybe the spray-on-corn oil (cheaper=better) to keep snowballs from building up under the hoof sole. Oh and I used that spray on foam insulation to insulate my water tank. That works well, and even better if you don't have a pony who wants to amuse themselves by pulling it off. :twisted:

In which case, you can wrap in chicken wire.

my old big tank developed an unfixable leak, so i bought a smaller tank, spray foamed the smaller tank, put it inside the bigger tank, and there you go!! much less ice

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:29 am

Thanks for the tip, my gloves often get de tangling sprays on them (darned long mane horses!) so I will give this a try!

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Canyon, the sticky stuff lasts for a few days. It probably depends on how many horses you are taking care of, if you are moving hay, and so forth as to how long it would last. It just seems to wear off of my felted wool mittens without any adverse problems.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”