Thank You from the December/January horse

Minz
Novice

Thank You from the December/January horse

Postby Minz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm

Thanks Chancellor for making Barnaby the Christmas Pony. I had fun doing the photo shoot. It was my birthday and my friend had brought a carrot cake so the horses could share. Barnaby loved the carrot cake and we were all buzzing on a major sugar high by the time the Christmas hats came out. :lol: Barnaby is such a ham, he had a blast dressing up for photos.

Barnaby is a Newfoundland Pony. I told the story of how I came to have him in my Meet Barnaby thread, http://definitelydressage.com/viewtopic.php?t=1244, so I thought I would tell a little about the breed. The Newfoundland Pony is a critically endangered breed. They are descended from the mountain and moorland ponies of Europe that were brought by the early settlers to the island of Newfoundland. For 400 years they were left to run free and breed until needed to pull a cart or something. They are a landrace breed which bred and evolved naturally without human interference until modern times. They are hardy, gentle and IMHO adorable. :lol: When I was a kid, people in the outports fenced their yards to keep the ponies and cows out rather than fencing the livestock in. My Mother says that when she was young everyone had a "horse" to pull firewood from the bush. In the 70's they were replaced by tractors and no longer useful, but there were so many they were considered a pest and were getting hit by cars on the road. So, the meat dealers rounded ponies up by the 100s and sent them to slaughter. In the 80's the numbers had dropped to under 400, and a group of pony lovers began the conservation process. Today the Newfoundland Pony Society and a group of passionate volunteers work hard to track and register ponies as well as promoting responsible breeding programs.
These ponies are very versatile used for everything from driving to Pony Club, eventing to Prince Philip Games. In 2015 a Newfoundland Pony by the name of Mr. Maple was the CADORA Eastern Ontario Provincial Champion at 2nd Level.

Barnaby is like a big Labrador Retreiver. He loves everyone, will eat anything, and nothing fazes him. I am having a blast driving him. i hope to see some dressage and cones shows this summer for inspiration.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Thank You from the December/January horse

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:49 pm

Love the Barnaby stories and photos. He did an awesome job as the Christmas pony :-D

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:43 pm

:D :D :D :D :D
I heart Barnaby!

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:10 pm

He's adorable, glad to hear you are helping to preserve the bred.

Minz
Novice

Postby Minz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:42 am

Hayburner wrote:He's adorable, glad to hear you are helping to preserve the bred.

I wish I was in a position to have a broodmare and breed. It was something I had always planned to do when my dressage mare retired. However, now, with the unlikelihood that I am going to live a long and healthy life, I have to settle with promoting the breed when I can. Our house in Newfoundland has a "garden" (aka small field) that would be perfect for a pony or two. My great uncle used to have a barn (aka shed) for hay on the property, and my mother remembers them cutting hay and piling it in the barn for his 'orse (aka pony). One summer about 10 years ago a neighbour's tenant asked if he could peg his two ponies to graze there for the summer. It was like a dream come true for me to see ponies pegged out in the garden. I was constantly checking on them and making sure they didn't tip over their water buckets. Unfortunately the tenant didn't return the following summer and there haven't been ponies there since.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”