Riding vacations in Spain

Baroque
Herd Member

Riding vacations in Spain

Postby Baroque » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:35 pm

For those of you who have been to Epona in Spain can you please either post some info about your vist and/or pix or both or PM me?

I am interested in going there for one of their intensives while we are in Spain, I thought I would try them out as my normal instructor is away during the time we will be there and I'm in desperate need of some quality classical instruction and an advanced horse fix. :lol:

Currently rebreaking an older green mare that has had about 3 years off and getting myself psyched up to start riding Zeus when he returns from the breakers!

Kelo
Herd Member

Re: Riding vacations in Spain

Postby Kelo » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:43 pm

I've posted this a few times before, but I went about 5 or so years ago and it was amazing.

I know they've made a few changes since then -- notably you stay in town now, instead of on the property -- but my experience was awesome, just awesome. From the people (kind, knowledgeable) to the food (excellent) to the horses (everything I'd hoped for).

They allowed me to ride one of the unicorns, and at week's end he demonstrated for me my first piaffe and passage :-)

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:12 pm

Thanks Kelo!

I'm probably booking the dressage intensive with the option to book a few advanced lessons on a unicorn :lol:

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:48 pm

Took a riding vacation in Spain in 1989. It was essentially a dude ranch, though when they found I could ride, I got to work the stallions one day. Not at all applicable to your search, but fun nonetheless. Thanks for rebooting my memories!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby khall » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 pm

A friend and I are going this May http://www.equitours.com/horseback-ridi ... -training/. So looking forward to this!! While I have ridden many different horses over the years I have never ridden an Iberian breed and since I have a coming 3 yr old Lusitano X filly I felt it would be a good idea to go ride some who have some training to see what they feel like. I have just started with my filly lightly lunging and she is very different from the WBs I am used to so far.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:20 am

Just remember that most Spanish horses and Lusitano horses are very much more sensitive and responsive than your average Warmbloods to handle and ride and you'll be ok. ;)

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 am

Baroque, yes I am finding this out early on with my Lusitano filly (her dam was Han/TB and much more sensitive than my full WBs). I actually like a sensitive horse (why I like TBs) as long as they are sensible. That is what my filly's dam was sane but sensible and a pleasure to ride. So I am very much looking forward to riding the PREs! My instructor Mark Russell that we lost last June always said once I went to baroque I would not want to ride the WBs again.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:38 am

Baroque, this is not useful, but your post reminds me that I need to sort out my calendar in 2017! I turn 50 this year and would like to go to Portugal or Spain for a riding holiday late in the year...am trying to figure out timing.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:40 pm

khall wrote:Baroque, yes I am finding this out early on with my Lusitano filly (her dam was Han/TB and much more sensitive than my full WBs). I actually like a sensitive horse (why I like TBs) as long as they are sensible. That is what my filly's dam was sane but sensible and a pleasure to ride. So I am very much looking forward to riding the PREs! My instructor Mark Russell that we lost last June always said once I went to baroque I would not want to ride the WBs again.

Totally agree, once you have ridden one everything else feels like a stiff wooden park bench with wobbly wheels.. :lol:

With all the ones I have ridden they have all been light and very responsive, the PRE mare I am working with at the moment is basically a green broken horse, she had about 3 years off due to me being too busy to work with her, so I re-started her again over the Xmas holidays and have been riding her ever since. She is still rather overweight [very good do-er] but is losing weight now with a combination of lots of work and a grazing muzzle. She is nice and light and responsive to ride and is starting to halt with just me tensing up my stomach muscles and closing seat and legs with very little in the hand. She is still quite unbalanced and needs more strength but is coming along quite nicely now. 8-)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”