Wedding attire question/help

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Wedding attire question/help

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm

The sister of the man I'm going out with (D) is getting married at the end of February and I have been invited to the wedding. D is in the wedding.
Before I knew that D was in the wedding, I had planned on wearing a dress in his favorite color, but now that I know that he is in the wedding, should I wear something more matched to the wedding colors since D will be in wedding colors? Or is that a no-no?

I would also be grateful for any tips or suggestions on a dress style for a tall, busty girl. I'm reasonably thin and narrow, size 8ish with very long legs, 5'8", but with a squat butt. I was thinking maybe something in a wrap style if I can find one that covers my bust well enough?

The wedding is in a church, but the dress is casual. The wedding colors are turquoise and coral, which seems a bit summery, but this is Texas and we've only had 3 whole days of winter so far. I've been wearing shorts and flip flops..lol.

Thanks for any help. I'm pretty bad at girl stuff. :oops:

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Wedding attire question/help

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm

There is no need for you to match the wedding colors. Go for the wrap dress. That style is flattering to everyone. I have 3 wrap dresses and one needs a safety pin in a strategic place. Remember that most everything off the rack needs a little modification. As far as shopping, check overstock.com, talbots.com, and nordstrom.com

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:49 am

I wouldn't do wedding colors, at least not in any way that made it look like I was trying to be a bridesmaid. With those colors I might go neutralish. Maybe a warm brown color with a complementary color accessory.

I know nothing about dressing a busty figure :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:47 pm

Thanks guys! I'm still looking. I did find a gorgeous wrap dress, but it's DVF and probably a bit more than I want to spend..lol. The "local" Macy's (an hour away) is being closed, so I may drive down this weekend and see if I can find anything there.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:35 pm

You read my mind for DVF wrap dresses. IMO with your long legs you would look stunning in this style. DVF has beautiful prints on her dresses.

check out measurements to help you decide for fit/size.

https://www.tradesy.com/dresses/diane-v ... f=category

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm

PS: Don't let Kyra's Mom see your post about flip-flops and shorts! :lol: :lol:

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:19 pm

No wedding colors!

If you wanted to you could rent something from Rent the Runway or have a custom made from Eshakati, both would run you under $100 and I dearly love my Eshakati dresses.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm

This EBAY seller starts at under $1.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Dresses/63861/m ... al%2520Hem

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:02 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:PS: Don't let Kyra's Mom see your post about flip-flops and shorts! :lol: :lol:

We did have snow and ice for the 3 days of winter that we did have! :shock: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:09 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:No wedding colors!

If you wanted to you could rent something from Rent the Runway or have a custom made from Eshakati, both would run you under $100 and I dearly love my Eshakati dresses.

I've looked at Rent the Runway, but the dress that I liked was $450 to rent and cost over $3k new. With my luck, I would end up playing with a pile of dogs or animals of some sort (animals find me at any event I go to..lol) and ruin a $3k dress. I will go back and look again though.

My only other issue is that things seldom fit me off of the rack. I was once in a wedding and the fitter person ordered a size 14 dress for me. I was a size 4, so that worked out as well as you would think. I had to buy this $400+ designer bridesmaid dress and pay hundreds to have a new dress cut out of the material and put back together to match the original dress. People look at my chest and think XL, but my ribcage is only like a 32 bra band. Even though I wear a 32-34 F/G, I can wear a size small in those cheapie stretch sports bras from Target...lol. I'm very straight and narrow but with JLo's booty and a big chest.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:43 pm

Lol. I know that struggle! I had that chest (30 F/G), still have the torso, but never had the butt to balance. Then I had the chest trimmed so I'm more proportional.

Anyway, the wrap dress suggestion, an actual one, not the sewn-down type, is spot on. I picked up a cute one at Banana Republic once upon a time. eShakti is also a good resource — have a tailor measure you. If you're ordering from elsewhere (not eShakti) online, make sure the dress has a bit of stretch to it. Halter dresses, v-neck lines, and fit & flare/a-line will work well.

I have something very similar to this that was the *best* find pre-reduction. Something like this, but with some stretch, would work too.There's this too.

ETA: Check out some of the dresses Michelle Obama wears. She does venture into the lots of tailoring vein, but the fit & flare stuff, with a bit of stretch, should give you off-the-rack options.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:52 am

Racetrackreject wrote:

Try Eshakati. I'm really short waisted, large chested, and huge ass - they make dresses to fit me WITH POCKETS. You send your measurements, two weeks later you get a custom fit dress.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:12 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:

Try Eshakati. I'm really short waisted, large chested, and huge ass - they make dresses to fit me WITH POCKETS. You send your measurements, two weeks later you get a custom fit dress.

I went and looked at their website and I found a few things that might work. Have you ordered any of their knit dresses? There is one that I like but the material says knit, so I wasn't sure about it.

I just haven't found anything that has jumped out at me and said "yes, this is the dress!", except the DVF, which I just found a photo of and haven't actually found it for sale anywhere. It's possible it was from a few seasons ago. :(

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:33 am

Racetrackreject wrote:I went and looked at their website and I found a few things that might work. Have you ordered any of their knit dresses? There is one that I like but the material says knit, so I wasn't sure about it.

I just haven't found anything that has jumped out at me and said "yes, this is the dress!", except the DVF, which I just found a photo of and haven't actually found it for sale anywhere. It's possible it was from a few seasons ago. :(

Yes, I have one of their knit dresses, the deep V wrap dress. It's my wedding dress for the year and it's wonderful. Heavy knit, well made, custom fit to my measurements.

Best of all, I can get my boob in and out in it super easy. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm still wearing kiddo to most of our weddings since he won't let me out of his site, drink from a bottle, or any thing like that. :(

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:08 am

I can take a selfie in the dress in the morning, I've got to wear it tomorrow for a wedding.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:58 pm

viscountessleftfield wrote:I can take a selfie in the dress in the morning, I've got to wear it tomorrow for a wedding.

Oh yes please! I would love to see a photo. The one I'm looking at is the v neck wrap with the high low skirt. I was thinking of doing the high low skirt since I was wanting to wear some lower thigh high boots with the dress.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”