To shavings/wrap or not to shavings/wrap - Trailering debates

HafDressage
Herd Member

To shavings/wrap or not to shavings/wrap - Trailering debates

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:25 am

DDBBers my Trucks thread was so helpful, I thought I might pose a couple of trailering questions to you guys. So the update is that I just bought a 2017 2-horse gooseneck Sundowner straight load....we'll talk about the guilt that comes with that purchase in another thread. :lol: I still need to buy a truck, but for now I can use my trainers truck, while I wait for the right deal to present itself.

Shavings & Wraps

1. Shavings: I grew up always bedding trailers with shavings. Not a crazy amount, but a light bedding to absorb pee. I've heard others say not to use shavings because of dust. I worry if I don't, the floor will be slick if they pee. What say you???

2. Wraps: I have also always wrapped horses legs for trailering...or at a minimum used trailering boots. I've also heard recently that some are no longer recommending wraps or shipping boots. What do you guys do?

I think some of the recent vet school research suggests not to do either, but I have a hard time feeling like I should give up these time tested practices. So your opinions and stories are more than welcome! Thank you in advance!!! :)

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: To shavings/wrap or not to shavings/wrap - Trailering debates

Postby DJR » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:54 am

I use shipping boots, not wraps. I put them on always if I'm trailering two horses (I have a 2-horse straight-load), or if I'm trailering one a longer distance (more than 1 hr). For short hauls with a solo horse, I sometimes leave them off.

I use shavings to absorb pee. I don't like how slick it can be without shavings if someone pees, and it also decreases the amount of splashing up onto the legs that has happened the few times I've shipped without shavings. I only use enough to absorb liquids, not a deep bed.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 pm

Used to boot with shipping boots for every trip. Chicken walk and leg shaking for about 30 seconds every time. :lol: Gotten to the point that I don't go anywhere except to move barns, or last year's move home, lol. Short trips I have gotten me to the point that I just put his Woof riding boots on all around, just in case he steps on himself while having "opinions" about loading up. Was taught no shavings, except on longer trips, but then have seen most people I run into do. Have sort of compromised on small amount, mid to back of stalls.. though my big boy doesn't seem to pee in trailer while "new" pony did on his way here from rescue. I did read a recommendation recently that if you use shavings, consider fly masks for dust. Not asked, but I do use a leather head bumper on the big boy for every trip, as he has been known to toss up his head and has clocked himself a couple times. That said....one time I did find him blindfolded by it upon unloading once...driving home in rain and hail and the vents had been left open and he got wet enough to shake his head...and blindfolded himself. :oops:

No science behind my answers, just giving you feedback from the peanut gallery. :D

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Always shavings, but bell boots if anything rather than wraps

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Rudy, my TB, will not load without his shipping boots on so no option there! :lol: Tio hasn't travelled much yet, but I will probably boot him just to prevent dings and such. In my pony club days, my horse was ALWAYS wrapped no matter how short the trip because my friend's horse slipped getting off the trailer and tore his wrap down to the skin! Imagine if he had not been protected! That said, the two I had before Rudy and Tio only wore splint boots or nothing. They were not fans of things on their legs so I went with it. Neither one ever got hurt on the trailer.

How's that for a non-answer? :lol:

So far as shavings...the veterinarian in me says "no" to shavings, but the practical horse hauler in me insists on using shavings to soak up the pee. :lol:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55 pm

No matter the length of trip: no shavings, no boots, no wraps. Bell boots on all 4, plus head bumper.

I remove any manure/urine at human pit stops -- we change drivers every 2 hours. My mats are not slippery when wet.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:42 pm

When I trailered, no shavings (my rubber mats had grooves in them. Pee would flow out.)

Shipping boots for short trips, just to avoid boo boos. Actual support wraps for longer trips (We were Pony Club. We'd learned how to do pillow wraps right). Head bumpers for the tall guys.

I had careful horses and clumsy horses. There's always one trying to kill itself.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:54 pm

I have hauled anywhere from 14 hours to short 20 min trip. The short trips I am lazy and no boots, wraps or shavings, bell boots on front at least when my horses wear front shoes. Bell boots now on rear when they are shod behind (1 does). Wrap or boots for the longer trips, I tend to wrap my guys with the no bow air cooled wraps so my horses don't get too hot under them. The boots with the slick liners my horses will sweat, ick. Shavings go in when trailering longer than 2 hours or so. I use the TSC flakes which are not dusty and nicely absorbent. I know quite a few who do not wrap for trailering, that is just not for me with the longer trips though. Only once with the old no bows did I almost get into trouble, long 7 hour trip and bandage slipped tweaking a leg. Mare was never lame and it went away by end of trip so I am very careful about the no bows. Sometimes I use a tail wrap if I have a horse that wants to sit on the back of the trailer, have not used a head bumper in many years now because I have a 7'6" tall trailer.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:46 pm

Always shavings, not too deep, only in the side my horse is trailered in (not the entire trailer bed). In my hunter days, we'd always use shipping boots, but I don't use anything on legs now. Most of my infrequent trips are no more than 1 1/2 hours each way.

BTW, shameless plug: I have a pair of Toklat shipping boots for sale in the Tack for Sale classifieds.... ;)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:57 am

Some shavings, no boots or wraps. I worry about a boot coming loose or catching on something and causing a.problem
Keep calm and canter on.

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:15 am

Never shavings due to dust. I have had one arrive with travel sickness due to dust after a long trip. The big boys have boots on but I don't with the ponies as I find it causes more trouble than not with the boots slipping even if they fit well.
If a long 9 hour haul I will put bandages rather than boots as they are less likely to move and you can put the hose down the wraps if it turns hot.

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:14 pm

I never have noticed shavings dust anywhere in the trailer after a ride. But, I have a simple 2-horse straight load trailer with no tack room, so the ventilation is excellent (windows in the nose, vents on the roof, and windows on either side).

Is shavings dust really that big an issue in a trailer?

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:37 pm

DJR wrote:Is shavings dust really that big an issue in a trailer?

My mare stepped off a friend's trailer with sawdust lodged in her eyes. It's a standard trailer, very much like yours, and it was a summertime trip, so every window was open.

Anything in her eyes is a problem for this mare, she's prone to conjunctivitis.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:28 pm

Well it depends on the mats. I have had seasoned travelers go down on wet mats. Note, not green clumsy horses, but seasoned travelers. I use shavings.

I travel to shows. No dust on my show clean horses. Trust me, it would show up.

Now i too think bell boots protect the coronet bands and heels. Mostly, no boots. Show trips to keep legs clean, perhaps, long trips less inclined.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:11 am

Always shavings, I bed my trailer like a stall, 4-6 inches deep. Dust is not an issue in my trailer (y'all know I have mostly black horses, I'd see it), it won't be in yours, roughly same trailer. I *want* them to pee in the trailer, helps reduce stress. If you're really concerned about dust, dampen the shavings slightly, and the hay. If your Sundowner has an aluminum floor, you really want to bed, urine and aluminum are not a good combo.

Wraps, I don't wrap my own horses. I did shipping wraps and fleece topped bell boots on clients horses, *if* the horses were used to being wrapped. All the show horses were of course. If it was backyardigan that had never been wrapped, I didn't wrap them.

Congrats on your trailer, happy hauling ahead!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:47 am

I use shavings...sawdust actually so it really absorbs the pee because my horse has decided that the trailer is her porta-potty. The last time I hauled her was seriously, like a 7 minute drive but she just had to go and pee :roll: . I have never noticed said material on the horses or in the forward bay of the trailer. I think the circulation is out the back and they don't appears to swirl.

I haven't put on any leg protection in some time. I do have shipping boots which I prefer to wrapping. My horse is BF but if shod, I would probably do bell boots to avoid the stepping type injuries.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

KathyS
Greenie

Postby KathyS » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:27 pm

Shavings yes, wraps generally not. I typically do use bell boots.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:55 pm

No shavings, no wraps - actually I never put anything on my horses's legs for trailering. I had a stock trailer with nice rubber matting. It's easier to hose out the trailer than it is to sweep out shavings, IMO.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:41 am

Always shavings (use the large flake, there is no dust). I want my horses to pee in the trailer and don't want them slipping around. I have never had any dust issues, so wondering if it is due to the type of shavings used.

Always bell boots and normal white boots (like DSB boots) on all four. I suck at wrapping, not a fan of shipping boots because they slip around so much.

Reiter
Greenie

Postby Reiter » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:14 pm

Shavings about 4" deep. My guys will pee in trailer and relax then.

I use big flakes shavings, so no dust, or if it seems a batch has some dust, I hose it down gently, not enough to have water running out under it on mats, but to dampen it. Haven't ever seen any dust or debris on the black horse!

I don't wrap unless I have a special reason to, then I will use standing wraps with quilt under it. They stay on snug.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I use shipping boots if trailering longer than 30min or multiple horses. I always have shavings in my trailer to absorb pee and poo. Without shavings mats get slippery when pee or poo happens.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:17 am

I don't put on any shipping boots or wraps and I always use shavings. I do put a fly mask on though to give some eye protection.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:26 am

I think I'll consider adding fly masks when I ship horses. I'd never even considered it, but even if a bit of dust comes through the front window (and screen), at least the fly mask gives their eyes that much more protection. It can't hurt!

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:25 pm

Just curious as I haven't shipped my horse in 7 years, but what is the reasoning behind no wraps? I was also raised in Pony Club and would never have considered shipping with no wraps. When I did short trips, I was lazy and used boots. A former instructor from back in the 90's had a promising young upper level horse who suffered a horrific hoof injury while unloading off the trailer that left him permanently lame (happened before I was there but he still kept the horse as a pet so I saw the scars).

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:38 am

On my own horses? Pure laziness I guess ;). I don't use boots when I ride or turnout either, except on new horses until they get settled. My own horses all get along in the trailer and they haul regularly and well.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:34 am

Former 4-H-er and pony clubber here. Used to wrap religiously. Older mare was a scrambler, and the thought (beyond the requisite "must wrap all horses") was to add padding for her and any horse she would knock legs with while scrambling.

Fast forward several years, we were in a hurry and just put the mare in the trailer without wraps, only bell boots. She didn't scramble.

I'm a whole lot less inclined to wrap blindly now. Current older mare is okay with or without, though she wears bell boots every trip. The 3yo has never been wrapped.

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:43 pm

DJR wrote:I think I'll consider adding fly masks when I ship horses. I'd never even considered it, but even if a bit of dust comes through the front window (and screen), at least the fly mask gives their eyes that much more protection. It can't hurt!

Yup, I've seen several times where other horses have had eye issues after trailering. I get asked every now and then why my horse is wearing a fly mask in the trailer (especially in the winter).

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 am

Always shavings (though not deep), legs usually bare.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”