Vancouver Island BC - trip ideas / suggestions

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Vancouver Island BC - trip ideas / suggestions

Postby Josette » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:52 pm

We are thinking of 1 week vacation to Vancouver Island. We had missed out taking a ferry ride over to Victoria on a prior trip to the Olympic National Park. I'm trying to figure best time (late May - early June) and would visit local parks for hiking plus Victoria. Does this sound reasonable? Any recommendations for places to see? DH was thinking of simply taking ferry over for an overnight visit - but I think we would miss lots and feel rushed. He figures to redo our prior Olympic National Park trip.

galopp
Herd Member

Re: Vancouver Island BC - trip ideas / suggestions

Postby galopp » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Definitely go to butcher gardens
http://www.butchartgardens.com ---even in the winter... but late may is great

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Once off the ferry, head to Parksville., beautiful little town lovely beaches, lots of accomodation. If you want to spa etc., check out Tigna Mara. If you want to see spectacular beaches, then driving up to Ucluelet and Tofino is a MUST. From Parksville, it's about 2 hours.. The road is windy and no services so gas up in Port Alberni. Between Parksville and Port A, there is a little town called Coombs some charming little shops and Goats on the Roof a unique market great bakery a couple of other little shops.
http://www.oldcountrymarket.com/ Hwy 4 then takes you all the way to Pacific Rim National Park with many magnificent beaches, hiking, bear sighting, whale watching, great restaurants. It's a peninsula, Ucluelet on one end Tofino on the other. I used to own a place here, http://www.watersedgesuites.com/
beautiful self contained suites, I would suggest get the inlet side with a hot tub. There are also lots of beautiful B&B's there. After a couple days there head back down to Victoria, which will be a good 4.5 hour drive again lots of lovely scenery. We own a place in Vic now so go often. But I have stayed here,
http://www.abigailshotel.com/rooms-en.html, lovely place and well situated for seeing the waterfront etc.

Just a few thoughts to get you going.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:51 am

Thank you! It sounds beautiful!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:02 pm

I would HIGHLY recommend heading across to Tofino, but it is a bit of a haul. We like Crystal Cove for accom, and they have a terrific beach. You can stop at the Cathedral Grove on the way. Victoria is beautiful, be sure to do touristy things like taking the harbour taxi over to Fisheman's Wharf.

I've whale watched from both locations, saw a ton of Killer Whales from Victoria, and some Greys from Tofino.

Josette

Postby Josette » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 pm

orono - I see the main hwy is on the east coast with a few inland roads. Is Tofino accessible via a ferry service for day trips? I would love to visit the Catheral Grove too - love hiking. I've sent for brochures to the Tourism site and we are looking forward to planning a trip. Whale watching for sure is a requirement. We are in love the PNW and enjoyed a trip to the city of Vancouver a few years back. It was the first time I ever saw Bald Eagles in the wild! It was awesome but way too short a trip. I need to do lots of research for day trips.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:28 am

I have not heard of ferry service to Tofino from the south end of the island along the west coast. When most people talk about taking a ferry to get there it is from Vancouver (mainland) to Nanaimo and driving across (~3 hrs). There are some fabulous excursions by boat from Tofino heading north, aside from whales there are bear trips, eagle trips and one that goes to some private and hard to get at hot springs (I think a bit of a hike from the dock, and then you are picked up at the end of the day. Not sure if a guide stays with the group).

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:41 am

Thank you - good to know we can get boat excursions from Tofino. I'm trying to figure how to divide up 5 full days on the Island and split staying at 2 locations. I'm thinking arrival for 3 nights in Victoria then next 2 nights at Tofino and spend last night back in Victoria for early return flight.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:25 pm

That sounds perfect! Enjoy!! :D Do you have accom for Victoria? Totally worth staying as close to the inner harbour as possible.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:39 am

I just wrote a long post with more info, but the ... ate it.. I would do just two nights in Vic, then head up to the Wild West coast. There is just so much to see and do there it's spectacular wilderness.

feel free to email me at kdescossa@shaw.ca and I'll give you all the inside info.. :)))

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks wb - sent you a pm. DH and I discussed travel plans and are considering 2 trips because we can only do 1 week max at a time. So restricted to 5 full days for sightseeing. We thought flying into Vancouver then short flt to Tofino as one trip. Driving up Hwy 19 from Victoria to Tofino is too long a drive time wise and we would have to return that route for departure flights. Air costs appear more expensive when not round trips. We are still deciding also based upon weather too - looks like bumping to mid-June for one trip. I really wanted to see Butchart Gardens in bloom, museums, whale watching and some hiking as daily excursions. There is simply so much to see/do and DH says he does not want to be rushed trying to get from place to another. Relax/enjoy!

We had visited Olympic National Park about 3 years ago - but the day we planned the ferry over to Victoria from Port Angeles WA - DH got sick/cancelled. We went the next day to nearby Port Townsend. DH discussed a repeat visit of that trip to ONP (which we loved) and this time MAKE the ferry trip to Victoria to stay over one night. We figured that as a Sept/Oct trip to avoid rain/muddy trails in June in the ONP. We are guessing about weather/trail conditions based upon readings about the areas. The previous trip was done in Sept and great weather and no mud. 2 years ago in June we visited Oregon Coast and tried hiking some trails but hit heavy mud - and not prepared we had to turn back. Beaches were awesome! So far, each year we do return trip to PNW because we love it.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Vancouver Island BC - trip / suggestions

Postby orono » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:33 pm

Splitting the trip isn't a bad idea, but I would consider flying in and out of Victoria, and making the drive - maybe in the middle of your trip so that you aren't as worried about getting back for the flight. Driving on the Island is part of the joy of visiting it, and is more relaxing than rushed. Flying into Vancouver wouldn't save you any time - the airport is a gong show, and by the time you rent a car and drive to the ferry, wait to board and go across it would probably take longer than driving from Victoria.

(I just checked - the ferry itself is 90 mins - fun ride though - which is the same as the driving time from Victoria). Butchart Gardens will be in full bloom - for reference the Daffodils are out by March. We've been whale watching in April, with great sightings.

Taking the Ferry from Port Angeles would be great too, I've always wanted to visit the Olympic Peninsula, but haven't made the trip across. Common to see whales on that route, from what I've heard.

Is your trip restricted to 7 days total, or is it that you can only miss one week of work? If you're able to include 2 weekends you can stretch it to 9 days (10 if you leave on Friday after work!)

Have fun planning. :)

Linden16
Herd Member

Postby Linden16 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:20 pm

There are many places to see. The caves, with stalagmites and stalactites, little car ferried to take you to tiny islands to tour around to try fishing or bannock or local native art galleries.. don't stick to the cities. Although Victoria has beautiful old architecture and art museums. Fanny bay oysters is fun. Even just going to qualicum beach and watching for whales and seeing the boats, or driving through bowser and stoping at the stores.

You're going to have such fun

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”