I got a promotion and I'm not happy

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I got a promotion and I'm not happy

Postby PaulaO » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:47 pm

My boss (Julie) and I work like a well-oiled machine. She refers to us as co-regents and never has pulled the "I'm your manager" card. We have discussed our succession planning, and while I never thought it would actually happen, it is happening. She is stepping down to part-time, in the office 3 days a week, and eventually working from home. This means I get to be manager and I don't want to. I'm scared. This means doing a bunch of administrative functions, like budget, and attending "leadership" meetings. While I love my job, I don't give a fig about the organization (hospital system). Now I have to pretend to care.

What upsets me most is that she is another link in my support system that will be gone. My hospital was "merged" with her hospital (read: taken over) and all our leadership/management were tossed. My remaining friends have retired or gone to other jobs. I really have nobody who understands what I do.

The promotion does come with a salary increase but I don't care about that. One thing I cannot complain about is my salary. I'm going to shove my increase into my IRA and hopefully in 2 years I can step down to part-time (I will be 62 in 2 years).

I'm just sad. Sad and scared.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Re: I got a promotion and I'm not happy

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:12 pm

Be sad for a bit and then rock it. If she has that faith in you I'm sure you will succeed.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:59 pm

You may find that you will be pleasantly surprised! Give it a chance! You can decide to hate it later!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:25 am

Yes. And it sounds like she'll be around enough to assist when you need it. Two more years; but salary increase = bump on your Social Security!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:37 am

All good advice.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:52 am

I do understand not loving a management role. That said, I've found that the best managers have a deep appreciation for people and processes that work, and an understanding of the mission of their institution/business/environment. Good luck!

p.s. I just got a pretty good raise and a chunk of it went to my "catch up" aka after 50 additional 401k contributions...Sorry horse, no major lifestyle change for you!

p.p.s. If it is a substantial raise, do check your withholding/likely tax bill on the new salary. It can be nice to think about this in advance and withhold extra as needed.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:00 pm

Yes^^^ And if you have an HSA that you aren't currently maxing out, do so now with the raise. It's all pre-tax and boy is it handy when you retire.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:46 pm

No HSA, but it is something to consider. I can also put extra towards my mortgage principle.

I'm feeling better about this today. Maybe because it's sunshiney. I've decided to keep my head down and my nose clean for 2 years. I can do this!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:12 am

As a manager in health care I will say that it's a difficult enough job when you love it (which I do). I don't love all of it and sometimes the admin piece is enough to drive me batty. That said, there's a lot that can be offered if you want to contribute. I don't know what the 'leadership meetings' are but being a good manager is about leadership- not being the boss.

Good luck.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Change is very stressful to me. We are undergoing a change at my work, and even though i feel prepared and am okay with the change, it still feels stressful. I hope for you that you will slide into your new job like a comfortable pair of shoes

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”