USA trip in June. Need ideas for things to do...

Baroque
Herd Member

USA trip in June. Need ideas for things to do...

Postby Baroque » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 am

The trip to Spain has now been shelved for a year due to too much on at work, lack of free time and spending far too much on building our new huge implement shed and yards on the farm. I now have a foal cooking and I also have a new "stock horse" to work and train as well :lol: now that Zeus has been started and had some stock work & obstacle training. I'm also working his mother who is a green broke but had about 8yrs off having foals and she needs quiet careful input so as to get her brain on the job without frying it.

But we are going to USA in June for a work conference and will hopefully have a bit of extra time in various places to fill so I'd like some ideas of what to visit/do in some areas as we'll probably be over there for about 2-3 weeks.

We'll be in Chicago towards the end of June for the conference for a few days, but prior to that the SO is planning visits to a few other companies in places such as Kentucky, North Carolina and we are possibly flying in through San Francisco and spending a couple of days there too as I've never been there either. So what interesting horse stuff is going on in those areas and what shops or places should we visit? He is a petrolhead heavily into his motorsport so hopefully we'll be able to pick up a F1, MotoGP or Indycar race to go to as well.

My main interest is of course PRE horses, plus jousting and renfaires might provide suitable diversions for me as well. :lol: I'm hoping to get along to Medieval Times to kill at least one evening in Chicago otherwise I might go mad. :roll:

I'm also hoping to visit a few places involved in spinning, weaving & handcrafts if I can fit it in too so I can buy some more fibre toys or something I can use. ;)

Hit me with your suggestions please! :lol:

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Re: USA trip in June. Need ideas for things to do...

Postby myleetlepony » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:16 am

Where about in Chicago will you be? In a suburb or actually in the City?

Tempel Farms (Lippizans) is about 45 min north of the Chicago on the expressway. They have shows on Wednesdays and Sundays, I believe, as well as barn tours.

For the SO, there is Volo Auto Museum, which about an hour northwest of Chicago. They have buildings upon buildings of cars, from 1920's luxury vehicles to modern race cars. A lot of collector cars are on display for sale, and they have a building full of "famous" cars from movies and TV shows.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:51 am

Baroque,

F1 races once in the US and it's not June :(
Didn't look for MotoGP schedule
Here's the Indycar schedule (I'm not a big Indycar fan) http://www.espn.com/racing/schedule/_/series/indycar

Maybe your hubby would want to take in a more "American" car racing series... NASCAR :) They race almost every weekend (but not every weekend :) ) http://www.nascar.com/en_us/monster-energy-nascar-cup-series/schedule.html

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:57 am

I second myleetlepony's suggestion for Tempel Farm. You could Google "Chicago Auto Shows" to see if there are any in June. Are you staying in Chicago? Lots of good food there!

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:08 am

I use this site to find juried art/craft show in a particular city/state.

http://www.artfaircalendar.com/art_fair ... fairs.html

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Oh man, Baroque, can't you make it the East Coast? We'd have a DDBB party for you. We have a lot of people who are into fiber arts!! We could have a spin in.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:14 pm

Chancellor wrote:Oh man, Baroque, can't you make it the East Coast? We'd have a DDBB party for you. We have a lot of people who are into fiber arts!! We could have a spin in.

I'd love to but it's a business trip with my SO so I have to work around visiting the companies we are dealing with...

Look what I just made up from a super twisted single spun on a couple of my spindles while we were travelling about with visitors in the past couple of weeks :lol:
20170302_213339_resized.jpg
20170302_213339_resized.jpg (219.15 KiB) Viewed 8782 times
20170225_223219_resized.jpg
20170225_223219_resized.jpg (250.82 KiB) Viewed 8782 times

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:15 pm

Awesome ideas - thanks everyone!

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:22 pm

You might want to keep your eye on the "Foundations for Pure Spanish Horse" calendar. Right now it covers through April:

http://www.prehorse.org/Events/calender.lasso

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:40 pm

If you take a wrong turn in North Carolina or Kentucky and end up in eastern Tennessee, get in touch! :D Hope you have a great trip.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”