Momentos

silk
500 post plus club

Momentos

Postby silk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Have you ever had something done to remember a horse by? I'm farewelling one of my horses soon and I'm not sure what I want to do/keep.

I don't tend to wear jewellery so most of the bracelet/necklace ideas are out. This horse has never been shod by me. I've heard of people keeping tails to make them into falsies but that would just mean I hung her tail in the shed for years to come and I don't know that I want to do that.

amygdala
Herd Member

Re: Momentos

Postby amygdala » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:09 pm

i am always grateful to have pictures of the horse that's gone. not at all interested in keeping pieces of them

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:14 pm

I've seen ceramic vases/pots incorporating the hair. Ask yourself if you really want to do anything. Maybe you don't. Maybe keeping her halter in a special place is enough.

P.S. Falsies in the U.S. means pads of cloth stuffed into your bra to make your breasts look bigger. I was laughing at picturing stuffing horse tail in your bra.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I've ordered custom painted busts from this vendor, and have been very happy with the end product. She is a horse person too, so I think she "gets it."

http://www.myhorseart.com/index.php

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:49 pm

What about a keyring made of tail hair?

I'm with you though...it kinda creeps me out having a horsehair necklace/bracelet. I've also seen necklaces that aren't so...morbid; They encase the hair in resin into a cabochon.

A high quality sketching/painting or framed photo is always nice to have IMHO.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:55 pm

I did cut some tail hair when I lost my TB in 2013 - but I still cannot do something with it. I almost regret doing it like I didn't leave him intact. I tried looking at bracelet or necklace but not moved by it. I don't care for the horse hair pottery. I may end up burying my guy's tail hair or have it cremated with me.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:02 am

A photographer friend took some photos of my mare when I knew it was The End -- was about 3 days before she ultimately passed. My friend did a wonderful job getting a portrait of her head and a few of us together.

I did save some hair, but I am not a jewelry person either so it is just in a bag in a drawer. I really treasure the photos, and smile every time I see them.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:05 am

PaulaO wrote:I've seen ceramic vases/pots incorporating the hair. Ask yourself if you really want to do anything. Maybe you don't. Maybe keeping her halter in a special place is enough.

Her filly will 'inherit' all tack that fits, as and when she is ready to wear it (halter, bridle, saddle). If the halter is too large (filly is much finer than her dam) then I can get that altered. I will most likely flip the name plate over (someone suggested putting the existing plate on the other side and adding a new plate with the filly's name, but not sure I like that idea as much as simply 'knowing' her name is on the other side).

PaulaO wrote:P.S. Falsies in the U.S. means pads of cloth stuffed into your bra to make your breasts look bigger. I was laughing at picturing stuffing horse tail in your bra.

I literally snorted. Falsie as in false tail. :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 am

. I like using their tack. I put one of Kea's old blankets on Acacia today. It was a spare so at home and did not get burned. It brought fond memories to me as I tossed it over Acacia and told her she had big shoes to fill wearing that blanket.

I agree, photos and pictures are great.

justtheticket
Greenie

Postby justtheticket » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:22 pm

What about making hoofprint art? Have her stand with her front hooves in a square of cement, like when parents do handprints of their kids? Or you could put paint on the bottoms of her hooves and have her (gently) put her hoof on a big canvas to hang in you house?

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:44 pm

justtheticket wrote:What about making hoofprint art? Have her stand with her front hooves in a square of cement, like when parents do handprints of their kids? Or you could put paint on the bottoms of her hooves and have her (gently) put her hoof on a big canvas to hang in you house?

I really like that idea. You could walk her over soft ground and then do plaster casts, which could then be used to make cement or ceramic stepping stones, or something like that. In fact, spring is coming, which means soft ground, and I'm thinking that preserving hoof prints might be more interesting than just taking pix of them (which I can't seem to resist doing).

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:03 pm

Not keen on the plaster casts or hoofprint art ideas myself.

AmityBee
Herd Member

Postby AmityBee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:14 pm

Personally, I like the idea of pictures, maybe get a portrait done later on. I Have one of my mare. And when I had to put her down, I took a strand of tail hair, braided it, made it into a loop, tied it together with a nice ribbon and put it next to the portrait.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:11 am

I made one of these when my old guy crossed the bridge recently. Have made a few for friends too.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23 ... c971d9.jpg

As memorials I try to incorporate the colour of the horse and of their tack accessories. I also make them to have 1 branch per year of the horse's life. My gelding's has 28 branches, and was brown with some black (bay horse), and dark blue.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:55 pm

orono - that is really nice! If you don't mind, can you describe your process and materials used? Thanks.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:58 am

Not at all, I use a 3" metal ring commonly used for dream catchers. Then I use either 24 or 26 gauge wire, cut into about 8 inch lengths. I bend them in 1/2 and then twist them around the bottom to make the roots (about 2-3 twists per strand). Then I try to spread the roots out a bit, and twist the trunk together, to about the middle of the hoop. I flare out the branches (twist a few together here and there), and start adding gemstone bead chips. I do them one at a time, and twist the end of the wire around the hoop (only once, in case I need to make any changes). Once they are all completed, I go back and put 2-3 wraps around each, then use a wire cutter to snip off the ends. I have just used fishing line to attach the tree/hoop to the horseshoe. The trees aren't heavy and they seem to hold well.

The image in the link is a stock one off the internet. But you get the idea. :)

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:57 pm

@orono - thank you for the instructions. I never would have figured that out!

piedmontfields

Re: Mementos

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 am

Orono---that is a really lovely memento! Thank you for sharing.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”