Three canter departs last night

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Three canter departs last night

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:02 pm

For those of you who have read my posts, you know cantering is a sticky point. I have dissected the issue from left, right, top, and bottom. I practice the departs in my brain a la Jane Savoie. Wednesday my non-horsey friend said "for God's sake, just do it." So last night I just did it. We only cantered half of the ring each time but we did three departs. They may not have been pretty but I'm figuring out what buttons to push for Ariel. Bob was perfectly trained that I did walk to canter without the pesky trot.

Ariel likes a looser rein contact, period. For canter departs, I do an outside half halt, open my inside fingers rein, give her outside leg, and I know she's transitioned when her ears are pinned. :roll: Sunday's lesson will be a lot of canter departs. Problem is, she breaks into the trot when I sit up. Guess I need more leg.

Chisamba

Re: Three canter departs last night

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:30 pm

I tell my students the depart is the hard part, if you have to do ten departs, then just do ten departs, the rest will come, :)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:39 pm

Thank you Chi, for validating me! Departs are so effing hard for me.

Pippigirl
Greenie

Postby Pippigirl » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:33 am

Departs are effing hard for me too :(

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Well done, Paula!

I have been remembering the challenge of learning departs as my DH gets back in the saddle. He had never resolved the t-c transition on a more challenging horse who didn't just give it to him, so he is determined to learn better this time around.

I remember about 10-15 years ago leasing a very nice dressage schoolmaster TB who was super responsive but also very safe. My "homework" on him used to be 10 t-c-t transitions (on a circle) without stirrups in each direction. I would have to gear myself up to do this homework every ride. The consistency of his response really help me learn better feel and to let go in the hips. At some point between then and now I learn more about how to "set up" the canter in the trot in the technical sense. But for me a lot of this came through experience and feel.

Enjoy the process!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:41 pm

Today was not a good day..ZERO canter departs. I was continually defensive which made Ariel go faster and faster. *sigh* Progress at a snail's pace.....

Josette

Postby Josette » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Maybe go back and read some older posts about canter aids. I find light bulbs click that I may be doing something with my position to interfere or cause confusion. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1775&p=27466&hilit=canter+aids#p27466

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:49 pm

I'll be working on canter departs in the spring so it's nice to hear other struggles and solutions...I get a big buck with the transition! A bit scary...For me.
Good luck and keep trying..Ok come!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”