Anybody have a Purple mattress?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Anybody have a Purple mattress?

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:11 am

it is a spinoff that fits in with my pain in the butt. I currently have a middle of the line Sleep Number mattress (no fancy top on it). I cannot get comfortable on it, regardless of what number I chose. I prefer to back sleep but guess what part gets a lot of pressure that way...yep, my tailbone. Most types of foam "push back" and are quite uncomfortable to me. I do have a memory foam mattress topper on it but it really does't alleviate anything. What I have done is get a harder foam pad (used to make RV cushions) that I cut a hole out of where the tush goes. It is hard on purpose...to keep my tailbone off the bed so I have a softer pad on top so I don't wake up with numb arms. It works but sometime, I would just like to go to bed without having to trick it out. Hopefully the surgery will remedy that...in time.

The Purple mattress touts that it relieves pressure points...that is all I need to hear. I have read the reviews and like anything, many like it and some don't. I was just wondering if anyone has first hand experience with it?

TIA
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

VBOpie
Herd Member

Re: Anybody have a Purple mattress?

Postby VBOpie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 am

I don't have a Purple mattress, but after reading your post, I went to their web site. I am kind of in the mattress market. I would be interested in hearing from someone that has one of these. Susan, let us know if you go ahead and buy one.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:21 am

VBOpie...will do. I am going to have medical bills so am not really in the market but am so tired of flip flopping and interrupted sleep.
I have been fiddling around with my various pads and got the idea to put my hard RV pad under the mattress topper. The topper is memory foam so it doesn't push back like regular foam. It still gets annoying enough to wake me and make me move but once I get up, things settle down. Normally, if the mattress/pressure aggravates things...it stays that way through the day :P . I am toying with the idea of cutting a hole in the mattress topper. Those don't really have a resale value once they have been used a lot. I did request a Purple 'squishy' which is a sample of the foam from the top of the mattress. The email says it may be 2-4 months :o . Not sure how helpful it will be anyway and if I decide to pull the trigger, I would like to do it so I have it BEFORE my surgery. I am sure I will be spending a ton of time on my sides and my hips might greatly appreciate it.

Susan

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:18 pm

I have an old Select Comfort air mattress that I love, with an after-market memory foam topper. I thought anything that "relieves pressure points" is simply memory foam. Good luck with whatever you do!

awa
Novice

Postby awa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

No help on Purple mattress. I hate memory foam and much prefer latex toppers for my aches.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:31 am

Hate is a strong word but yes...I find memory foam dead. To me, it just squishes down and there you lay. I guess I can look at other mattress toppers. I think I am going to cut a hole in the one I have. My butt didn't feel too bad after the first 2 nights but it hasn't been happy today :P . I need to get all pressure off that spot. I don't think anything type of mattress will work until that spike is gone.
Susan

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 am

Refreshing this thread to see if anyone has tried one yet?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:01 am

Have you gone to a mattress store and tried a Tempurpedic? I had fairly severe scoliosis and problems getting comfortable sleeping. I've had my Tempurpedic about 5-6 years and still very happy with it.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:42 am

I tried a Tempurpedic before I bought the Sleep Number and I didn't like it. I don't like that sinking feeling and the heat :lol: . I know they have made improvements since then but :shock: , I really don't want to pay that much for a mattress. My sister has an I-Comfort from Serta that is similar to Tempurpedic, I think and no, I get pressure on the butt with that one too.

I have an email out to a second hand store to see if they would take my Sleep Number but I haven't heard from them yet. If I can rehome the Sleep Number, I will pull the trigger on the Purple and let you know if that was a mistake? They do have a 100 day trial.

Susan

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”