My friends in the northeast, stay safe in the BLizzard

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

My friends in the northeast, stay safe in the BLizzard

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:39 am

Title says it all, really, I hope you had enough time to prepare, hope all your animals are safe and well, hope you can stay home.

I have to go in to work, and will probably bet stuck there. I hope i did enough prep work at all my animals are safe and content.

skykingismybaby1
Greenie

Re: My friends in the northeast, stay safe in the BLizzard

Postby skykingismybaby1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 pm

I am in central Jersey and seem to be on the line between snow and rain. Sleeting now and only about six inches on the ground. I hope this does not turn into an ice storm instead.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:52 pm

It has shifted. Blizzard warning has been taken down now but we are getting a lot of sleet and freezing rain. And high winds. So not a picnic, but not two feet of snow.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I just got back in from the barn and all tucked in fed/water. Same as Skyking described here central NJ close to shore area. If it turns to ice at night it will be a mess.

(This past week with mild temperature a bunch of daffodils started to open. Sudden temp drop and they flopped over. I went out yesterday evening at dusk and cut about 20 half open flowers. They are in my kitchen window as a reminder that spring will be here soon - I hope.)

Chisamba - stay safe and warm.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:31 pm

I was supposed to have a sold horse shipped out today from eastern Ontario to Maryland.

We've postponed until tomorrow because of this mess!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:41 pm

LeoApp wrote:It has shifted. Blizzard warning has been taken down now but we are getting a lot of sleet and freezing rain. And high winds. So not a picnic, but not two feet of snow.

Yeah, the blizzard warning has shifted up here....lucky us.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:47 pm

:(

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 pm

They are saying anywhere from 10 - 18" for us. That's on top of the ton that is still on the ground. Never lived anyplace where you need snowshoes if you have to go anyplace you haven't plowed!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:57 pm

The winds are wicked here. I can see that another board has blown off the fence around the riding ring and a strand of tape has come loose, and we're only just getting started.

Just had to walk backwards to the barn because the wind kept blowing snow up in my face. Had to turn back around to wade through the waist high drifts, but then walked backwards again when I got to bare ground.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:43 pm

I so wish you all would adjust your printed profile that goes below your name and give the rest of us an idea of your general area. Here in NW lower Michigan, close to the Lake, we only have a couple inches on the ground. Sunny and COLD! Very weird winter. Stay warm and safe!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 am

North Jersey 30 inch range. Roads are still tricky, snowdrifts in the barn aisle and indoor. It was and is significant. My muscles hurt.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 am

We got 6-8 inches but the wet sleet/snow froze solid overnight. I can walk on top of it. Sheets of ice covering the driveway. Now hoping for melt down soon....

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Thank you those who added your location! And now we got six inches of that tiny, light flake snow last night. I didn't get up and swim at 7am because I could hardly see the road from my house. I'll go at noon now.

Nothing worse than that sleety/icy coating that then freezes. Bleh, be careful!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:13 pm

Everything is just totally encased in ice. A few inches of snow, followed by lots of sleet and rain, followed by temps in the teens. Lovely.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:53 pm

Yuck. the worst.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:53 am

It's been going on for 48 hrs now here.

Yesterday, there were two major collisions involving tractor trailers on the 401, which is the huge divided highway that connects our vast province (Ontario) west to east, and is part of the Trans-Canada highway. The two collisions each triggered chain reactions, and one involved a tanker carrying a chemical that converts to hydrofluoric acid when it's heated up (like in the turmoil of a major collision). The tanker driver succumbed to his injuries, but not before many dozens of 1st responders worked hard to get him extricated. In that process, over 20 people including 1st responders were exposed to this dangerous chemical, which had spilled almost completely out of the damaged tanker.

Because of this, our local Emerg Dep't declared a "Code Orange" which happens with a mass casualty event. Hasmat teams were deployed to help those on site, and to start cleaning up the spill. All of this occurred during the worst part of this winter storm yesterday afternoon.

The collisions were so extensive that BOTH sides of this major, divided highway were closed, and to signify just how bad it was, both sides are STILL closed over 24 hrs later!

It's been a heck of a March storm. Everyone is itching for the above-zero temps to get here, which hopefully will be this weekend.
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”