1st World Whine about the weather

Tabby
Herd Member

1st World Whine about the weather

Postby Tabby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:40 pm

It's the middle of March and here we are buried under some feet of snow with a temperature of minus something and a wind chill of minus ten times that. I appreciate that we had a mild January and February but come on - we're supposed to be gearing up for spring now. What the hell???? I'm so cranky I don't even know where to start. I could post a list of specific things that piss me off right now but the common root cause of them all is that it is supposed to be warming up, not cooling down, and though I fully expect a spring snowstorm, usually they melt immediately afterwards and our forecast suggests this snow will stick around for a while. And it won't be the last of it. I'm miserably whiny cranky and I just need to vent. And a Caribbean vacation wouldn't hurt but that's not in the cards. I'm sick of the extra 10 minutes it takes to leave the house to put on my winter coat, boots, gloves etc, and I'm sick of how much all this stuff weighs (my back is getting sore from it) and I'm sick of the trail of salty slush and I'm sick of the damn wind. I used to love daylight savings time because of all the extra evening time it gave me to do stuff but now I am just sitting looking out the window at sunshine with snow flurries blowing off my neighbours roofs. It's good for nothing. There's a tree next to my house that's creeking like a scary intruder, my stove fan is making crazy sounds with the wind and I can't even go check my mail without risking frostbite. First world problems - all of them - I know, but golly gee whiz I can't take much more of this.

Anyone want to share a glass of "whine" with me?

Amado
Herd Member

Re: 1st World Whine about the weather

Postby Amado » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm

This morning in far northern Maine. I had to dig several of my doors out, the front walk and all along the side of the house to the propane tank (which was almost completely buried, and we have to keep it clear so they can fill it). I didn't manage to dig out the back porch and door yet (the one in the the photo). That is our bedroom window that got drifted in. We already had so much snow, before this storm. I don't think I'll see grass til May. I haven't left the house without having to put a million layers on since I don't know when. :(

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:12 pm

:shock: I feel your pain. Please raise a glass of "whine" with me (red, white or other) so I can properly toast your misery Amado. Maybe you and I can find an island to escape to next winter (provided this winter actually ends).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:14 am

:eek:

I know it won't make anything "better" but here in the SW, we are working on above average temps for this time of year... weird for sure.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:29 am

In my neck of the woods, it is already getting into the 70s. We have had no moisture and have just suffered horrible lethal fires :( It is only March. Can I have your precip?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:04 am

I will join you in the whine! I need to start my mare back to work!

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby kande50 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:16 am

I'm not happy about the snow either, but then I remind myself that the longer the winter lasts the better the chances that more ticks will die. I'd prefer bare, frozen ground, but would rather have the cold than the bugs and the heat.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Can I join in the whine? I'm soooooo sick of snow. And furthering the "first world" problem, because of my breast cancer diagnosis, I didn't get my Caribbean vacation making this winter ULTRA long.
I'm so done with winter.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:35 pm

I'm sorry. It's a b!tch dealing with the snow and cold. I feel your pain about the extra layers. That gets so heavy. Sending you warm thoughts for a quick thaw (well, not too quick or there will be flooding).

highoctane
Herd Member

Postby highoctane » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 pm

I think I speak for everyone in the PNW when I say this weather can bite me. It's actually currently sunny at the moment, but breezy and in the 40's. I'll take it. ANYTHING other than the constant downpour!

http://komonews.com/weather/scotts-weat ... of-october

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:38 am

Wow that's a lot of snow!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:40 am

We live in MD. No snow this year, only 3 inches of ice this past few days. We wanted 1 snow... I feel for you guys with lots of snow. Sending wine... (or alcohol of choice)

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Having just gone through a snowy winter, followed by flooding during the initial melt-off (in a desert???) and now watching the river rise as the mountain snows melt, I can certainly empathize. I went from the beginning of December clear til last weekend, unable to ride my horses due to the weather. Now of course, it's raining off and on and is unseasonably warm! On the other hand, I live in the high mountain desert, making any precipitation a blessing (even though we are 2x's the normal for our water year). This too shall pass, have a cup of hot coco with a little peppermint schnapps and the frozen world out there will look much warmer. :P Jingles!

My sympathies and jingles for you folks experiencing those horrid fires. I fear fire far more than snow I must confess.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:35 pm

Dreadful winter here, followed by the last two weeks of unseasonably warm weather, floods, washed out roads, mud... and it hasn't really even started to melt off in the high mountains. While we also are high mountain desert, and glad for the precip, we could really do with a slower melt so it had the chance to sink into our ground and fill our aquifers rather than running off and ending up in Las Vegas.

Now the big outdoor arena at the boarding barn is dried out to perfection, and my horse is lame.

Sigh.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Still whining here! After a couple of lovely sunny (still cold) days, here we are at the weekend and it's snowing again. Grrrr. I sat in the carwash line up for 45 minutes the other day because I had zero visibility out of my windows and you couldn't see if my lights were on due to the salt. I want to go to the barn today, as well as grocery shopping but it's guaranteed to be a salty mess out there and I can't stomach going through that again so soon. We've had either snow and/or bitter cold and wind every single weekend for the past 6 or 8 weeks. Some weekends it has been too windy to even ride in the arena (sounds like a freight train is crashing through the wall). I don't remember what the trails look like - I'll probably get lost if I ever have a chance to venture out there again. I feel like I'm being punished - grounded to my house. It's 11:20 am already and I'm still in my jammies because I'm stuck here - again - with nothing to do but laundry and housework. Gag. I'll take an even bigger glass of whine this time, thank you.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Hang in there :).. This time last week our ghastly long bitter cold winter started the upswing to spring. Been mega mild this week, yesterday 17c. Longest hardest winter in awhile. But spring always comes.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”