Trail riding in the desert

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Trail riding in the desert

Postby Srhorselady » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 pm

I don't ride as much as I used to. I'm 66 now and it takes a lot of energy especially with 5 horses to care for. However, yesterday I texted my friend Alice and said "let's ride tomorrow morning". I'll clean after. ". I went out at 7am to throw hay this morning and Alice was already there mucking stalls. She is a wonderful friend! Anyway we hit the saddles by 8:30 and it was gorgeous! I wanted to check out two houses, being a nosy neighbor, and then we went out in the desert. One new house is under construction and I COULDN'T believe it. They are building it in the middle of a wash! It looks like they've built huge retainer walls and possibly re routed the wash. Flood control is usually VERY strict about changes to the natural waterflow. I'm assptonished they could get a permit. The second house was just resold and the new owner had scraped the front of the acre plus lot and had piles of crushed granite waiting to be spread. I just don't understand people! Then we wnt out into the desert. We've had so much rain this year that everything is green and the weeds are knee to waist high. Wild flowers blooming every where. We stayed on the trails and open areas since the snakes are starting to come out. There was a wonderful breeze, birds, insects (and pollen) every where. Headed home after about an hour and a half as it was getting warmer, over 80 F, but it was a wonderful morning. I really do need to do this more often!

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Trail riding in the desert

Postby Josette » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:03 pm

It sounds beautiful with the wild flowers (except for the snakes). ;)
Cold freezing rain here so I really envy your "warm" temperatures right now. Off to pull on tall rubber boots to slog through the puddles/mud to clean stalls. :roll:

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:17 pm

Morning rides are the best. Sans snakes, of course.

Gwen
Herd Member

Postby Gwen » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:35 am

This sounds wonderful, I really enjoyed reading it and pretending to have been there!

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:34 am

The Saturday ride really energized me! This morning I took the thoroughbred out. He's a bit of a giraffe and I was alone so we stayed closer to home, but it was still beautiful and a wonderful ride. He' 30 now so I let him set the pace, mostly walk with a little trot. New next door neighbors were hauling out to trail ride. Freckles had to gawk at everything. I still haven't seen any snakes which is a good thing! We headed back in after 45 minutes. So peaceful. I didn't see another person out there. Did see a coyote heading home. Unfortunately no Alice today so the turnouts didn't get mucked until evening. :D

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:13 pm

Is your desert blooming more than typical this year? The photos from other western deserts have been amazing. Glad you are getting out and about to enjoy your landscape.
Last edited by piedmontfields on Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

I can't speak to the desert proper but I volunteer at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix. It seems to me that flowers (wild such as they are in a bit more controlled environment ;) ) and the cactus are maybe blooming a bit earlier. We've also been in a bit of a heat wave and that can also inspire desert plants to start blooming.

Oh, and it's desert - not the tasty chocolate thing you eat for dessert :D

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:31 pm

This topic would be so much better with a few supporting photos (of the desert flowers, not of desserts!)

Hint, hint!

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:34 pm

Wildflowers all over here, too. Enjoy it while the weather is still "cool!"

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 pm

Sorry no pictures! Incompetent non techie here. Yes we have had much more rain than usual this winter. The weeds are literally well over knee high. Very little bare ground. Creosote in bloom, also nasty fiddle neck, plus some herby thing that looks (and smells) similar to chamomile, globe mallow, brittle bush, poppys, and gazanias! Others too, but these I can name.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:50 pm

Srhorselady wrote:I don't ride as much as I used to. I'm 66 now and it takes a lot of energy especially with 5 horses to care for. ....Headed home after about an hour and a half as it was getting warmer, over 80 F, but it was a wonderful morning. I really do need to do this more often!

Ha! Do I ever get the lack of energy issue!

But it's spring, which is always invigorating, so we got out today, too. No desert here, though. Still about 6" of snow on the ground, but no bugs, no snakes, great footing on the dirt roads because they have such a nice layer of sand on them, and sunny enough that my face got burned.

We've also been making plans to get out trail riding more often this year, because if we don't make plans to ride and at least try to stick with them it's just way too easy to put it off.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:08 am

I think the desert flowers and foliage have been better this year than in recent past years but we see it like this every few - typical cycle. The rain today and heat tomorrow should extend our 'flower season' a bit more. We went trail riding on Sunday and it was gorgeous. Managed 7 miles before we called it quits. We came across a Gila monster, a rattlesnake, and a few jack rabbits. The bobcat was waiting at home on the back patio when we got back; so, wasn't met on the trail. I can't wait to start getting the 3 year old out on the trails but I'm guessing that will be later in the summer when we'll be one of the few out there and only in the wee hours of the morning. Have plans to go out again this weekend. It's suppose to be nice again :)

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:41 am

Oh I'd love to see a Gila Monster in the desert. I think they are fairly shy? I find the Bobcats beautiful too. There have been reports of a mountain lion in our area Exvet in case you haven't heard. I don't know if anyone has seen it, but prints were identified in the wash near 14th St and Cloud. There's a lot to eat out there now so not too worried about the horses, but I'm keeping the mini locked in at night. I hope/plan to get out in the desert again Sunday, arena work with trainer tomorrow if I get my rear in gear. The weather is supposed to be back to normal with highs in the 70s so it should be nice. All of you with snow and or mud have my sympathy. You can return it when your riding is beautiful and we are sweltering this summer!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Wow, that is so cool to see a Gila monster while out on the trail! They are such beautiful creatures. Glad you SW people are having good rides out in the desert. Everything is getting hyper green here and flies are on the verge of returning! Must remember to bring the fly veil...

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:39 am

Yeah, actually they did get a picture of one (mountain lion) at Spur Cross a week ago. The last time I saw one was 3 years ago, gorgeous male. Unfortunately he ended up getting hit by a car. As long as the cat isn't sick or injured I"m not too worried about it either. We have a couple of coyotes getting too close, however. They've managed to get my cat a little over a month ago. Two males, one is running around on three legs so they've been hitting up whatever they can in barns and yards. I have more than my share of wild rabbits but I guess the cat looked better. They often run through my arena when I"m out riding in it at night. I'm going to enjoy the weather for as long as it lasts; so, more plans to ride tomorrow and Sunday.....maybe even Monday before I have to get on a plane....

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”