OUCH!!

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

OUCH!!

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 am

Frickin ouch!

I just got kicked, Damned hard. Walker just span round and whammed me when I went to catch him, and slammed me into the barn for good measure. Fortunately he caught me on the very fleshy part of my rear end. But, Holy Crap... I'm sitting here with an ice pack, a tube of voltarin, ibprofen and a glass of red wine. Not necessarily in that order.

Mr. Spring Fever is having a rather cold and lonely night outside without his dinner, and getting his diet re-assessed. Yes, he has water.

This is going to make the road trip to Del Mar a little less comfortable than it might have been... I'm glad I haven't yet shed my winter 5lbs.

This is on top of a day when the dermatologist called me saying he wants to have another dig around on my face, which has just stopped hurting from his last exploratory mining.

Bugger.

piedmontfields

Re: OUCH!!

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 am

Crappy crap! Bad boy, Walker. Very bad boy.

I'm glad he didn't catch you somewhere worse. Drink up.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 am

Yeah. So am I. I'm sitting here trying not to freak out about how bad it could have been. Happens in an instant.

I wonder if it will cure my piriformis syndrome? I was going to make an appointment to get my butt injected again next week, but think I'll have to wait for the bruising to subside before I go back in...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:45 am

Ouch indeed. Don't kick the hand that feeds you. I wonder what set that in action?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:47 am

He's been getting a little big for his boots recently. It was cold and windy this evening and the grass is just coming in and he's been confined because of the mud. None of which excuses his behavior, but I should have been more aware.

Honestly, he needs a solid job of work to do and some routine in his life, I just haven't worked out what and how.

He's 21 next week and supposedly retired as a dressage horse, though he seems pretty damned sound at the moment and he'd make a very fine training and first level mount for someone, as he was for me. But while he is rock-solid sensible to ride, he's always had the potential to be tricky on the ground unless you are on your game, (obviously, I wasn't this evening,) so I'm very cautious about letting others handle him.

He's taught me a lot. I guess he just gave me another lesson.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:47 am

Yikes...glad if he made contact it was a fleshy area :o .

Since I can't ride much these days, I have been doing a ton of work with just leading and waiting. Two things Ms. I am Good Until I'm Not needs work on.
90% of the time she is an angel but when she gets a hair up her butt and she wants to be in charge...it can get a bit dangerous. So far, so good and she is responding...but you just never know.

Heal up fast.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 am

Think twice about the ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. They do interfere with clotting, so I'd avoid it for the first 48-72 hours at least. Ice, and Tylenol.

Ouch indeed!

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am

Yikes for the Ouch! I hope he is barefoot in the back. I've had some very close calls in the past with flying feet. Lesson learned that age doesn't matter and to always be on guard. My 21 year old is dominant type (gelded late and was bred) and he can be territorial in his stall. We have regular discussions about my space vs his space - worse when he is eating and I pick his stall. Who's the Boss?? :roll:

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:34 pm

DMSO if you have some. The sooner the better. Just dab dab dab LIBERALLY. No wiping it on, ok...

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:05 pm

Wicky wrote:Think twice about the ibuprofen and other NSAIDs. They do interfere with clotting, so I'd avoid it for the first 48-72 hours at least. Ice, and Tylenol.

A friend of mine fell off and got a huge bruise on her butt, and she said her doctor had her taking aspirin to prevent clotting (and the potential for one to get lodged somewhere). So whenever I get a giant bruise I've been taking aspirin. Is that a bad idea? Which is higher risk with a bruise, not clotting or clotting? Or does it depend on other factors?

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Oh dear. Hope your posterior portions recover quickly!!!

Baaaaad Walker!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Ok, so now I am jingling both for your hind quarters and Lad's. :lol:

Really, I'm so sorry Walker was such a twit. I hope you feel better soon!

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 pm

JMHO - YMMV, but unless the bruise is pressing on a large vein, bleeding could be more of a problem. Remember, you are only avoiding the NSAID for 2-3 days. Then the internal bleeding from the bruise is finished and you go from ice to heat to help it resorb.

IF you bleed into a closed space, like a shin, you can cause compartment syndrome. In some places like a thigh muscle, you can get calcification in the muscle which causes its own problems.

This is what I was taught, many years ago. It would be interesting to know exactly where your friend's doctor thought the clot could occur and spread. Typically you worry about clots happening in large veins and I do not remember one in the buttock.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:46 pm

OK, I will switch to Tylenol! Thank you Wicky :)

I feel like crap. Hurt all over. Early night tonight I think, so I can be bright as a button for the start of my vacation tomorrow.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:40 pm

Wicky wrote:JMHO - YMMV, but unless the bruise is pressing on a large vein, bleeding could be more of a problem. Remember, you are only avoiding the NSAID for 2-3 days. Then the internal bleeding from the bruise is finished and you go from ice to heat to help it resorb.

IF you bleed into a closed space, like a shin, you can cause compartment syndrome. In some places like a thigh muscle, you can get calcification in the muscle which causes its own problems.

This is what I was taught, many years ago. It would be interesting to know exactly where your friend's doctor thought the clot could occur and spread. Typically you worry about clots happening in large veins and I do not remember one in the buttock.

Thanks, good to know. I'll ask her if I when I see her. She's a nurse so will probably remember what her doctor said about it.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:02 am

Dang! So sorry you got kicked in the butt! Literally!

Sending healing thoughts to your posterior and of course Laddie's stifle still.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:17 pm

What a bad boy. Sounds like he needs at least some ground work to establish that you are, in fact, the boss of him and not vice versa!!
Hope you are feeling a bit better today.

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Just to add to the NSAID discussion - it depends on what you want to accomplish and which risks are worse. For example, there are a number of surgeries where anti-clotting agents are given routinely - I think hip replacement, and perhaps knee replacement, and for sure stent placement. There are some genetic variants which cause a hypercoagulable state. And, paradoxically, a disorder called disseminated intravascular coagulation, which causes bleeding, is (or was) treated by anti-coagulation, at least when I was young (the bleeding is caused by the body making microscopic clots all over and using up factors needed to stop bleeding).

So it all depends on what the issues are, which, as always, leads to the answer "it depends."

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”