Finally back, update and pics :D

Tempest
Greenie

Finally back, update and pics :D

Postby Tempest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:41 am

Hullo - I'll be glad if anyone remembers me as I was largely a lurker on the old forums. Username is the same although I was "missliberty" in a prior incarnation ^_^ Years ago I leased a grey Perceheron/STB mare named Liberty but for the last several years I have been owned by a big bay TB mare named Storm.

Nearly three years ago, Storm and I relocated from Canberra, Australia all the way to the other side of the country and we are now about an hour south of Perth, Western Australia. We have been agisting at an eventing stable and taking lessons from the owners which has been a really great sea change for us - I've been wanting to get more into jumping for ages and for whatever reason Storm was getting more and more stressed out about dressage, to the point where it was really pointless trying to compete her - as soon as she came up the centre line she'd start to melt and promptly attempt to canter the entire test :? So we've been having fun playing around with jumps, coming along quite slowly to build both of our confidence. One of the trainers here holds regular clinics, so I clinic with him every few months and train every week with his partner.

Unfortunately, my health has taken a nose dive since we moved here - after being continually fatigued, in pain, having vision problems and cognitive dysfunction and a whole bunch of other things, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome last September. I started seeing a GP who has a special interest in fibro and came highly recommended, but he and I were both dissatisfied with the original testing I had (fibro obviously doesn't have a specific test, but all I got was a blood panel and then the diagnosis was symptomatic - not even a pain point test) so we're going through all the testing all over again. Fibro does, by and large, perfectly explain my symptoms but the complete lack of upper back/neck/shoulder pain has made everyone (doc, physio, acupunture doc) kind of step back and go "let's just double check this". Obviously this has an effect on my riding - while I'm not in too much pain while I actually ride, the fatigue is a killer and it's hard to even get out to the stable most days.

But despite all that, we're doing well and I'm lucky I have one of these horses that doesn't mind only being worked once or twice a week - she truly is an amazing horse and I couldn't have asked for one better suited to me. Just love her guts <3

In other news, the move interstate forced my departure from my much beloved job at the shelter - I ended up taking a vet nursing job while studying for the VN qualification, due to the fibro/mystery illness I've had to cut back hours pretty dramatically but I make up for it by running a stray cat rehoming program (essentially a rescue but it is, thankfully, funded by the clinic owner). I started doing it about two years ago and have rehomed about 120 cats, plus a few rabbits and a ferret :D Absolutely love it even though my house has become a revolving door of foster kittens and my personal menagerie now consists of four cats, a dog, a ferret and of course, the horse.

Pics!

One of the VERY rare good moments in dressage :oops: :lol:

October 2015 - our very first XC clinic - thankfully I can see the improvements!! (the pics up top are the most recent)

And just for cuteness - my ferret, Zelda:

And one of the more recent kitten crops:

I suppose I'd also better do a bit of a shoutout to this wonderful man - we got engaged last August and we're getting married this December ^_^ I am so excited!!!

Anne
Herd Member

Re: Finally back, update and pics :D

Postby Anne » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:31 am

Hello Tempest, welcome back! I remember your posts on the old UDBB. You and your mare are looking super, and congrats on your upcoming wedding. I can't say I'm a fan of ferrets (major pest here in NZ), but the kitties are very cute!

Nikiwink
Greenie

Postby Nikiwink » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:16 am

Hi Tempest, i remember you from the old days too...mainly due to Liberty.

I suspect you are living not far from me nowadays. Ive got 13acres near north dandalup :D

Tempest
Greenie

Postby Tempest » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:32 pm

Nikiwink wrote:Hi Tempest, i remember you from the old days too...mainly due to Liberty.

I suspect you are living not far from me nowadays. Ive got 13acres near north dandalup :D

Ah yep, not far at all! We're at Ellison Park in Baldivis. Not for much longer though as we've been posted back to Canberra (which I'm super excited about but ugh moving interstate sucks!)

AnnCohrs
Greenie

Postby AnnCohrs » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:54 pm

Welcome back!
I assume you've been tested for various autoimmune diseases - If not, well I have lupus and your description of the haze of pain and fatigue is very familiar.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 am

Welcome back.

I hope you can get some answers and find the upside with the health issues.

Lovely pictures---especially that last one 8-) .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:22 am

Fabulous pics, welcome back!! :D

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 pm

Tempest, you've been busy!! All amid illness. Welcome back, great photos, and congratulations!

Tempest
Greenie

Postby Tempest » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 am

AnnCohrs wrote:Welcome back!
I assume you've been tested for various autoimmune diseases - If not, well I have lupus and your description of the haze of pain and fatigue is very familiar.

Yes, quite a few. Lupus and ankylosing spondylitis (not autoimmune, a spinal condition) were in my last lot of tests and they both came back negative. I'm off to the doc in a couple of hours to get results from an MRI I had last week to see if it might be MS. I think it probably is an autoimmune issue of some kind - I have food allergies, eczema and hayfever which is apparently some magical triad of immune responses - the difficulty is in finding out exactly *what* it is!

Thanks everyone for the welcome backs, it is nice to be lurking here again and good to see so many names that I remember :D

Sue B
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Sue B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Welcome back Tempest. I was wondering what became of you and Storm just the other day!
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding--what a handsome fellow he is.
Jingles that they sort out what is dragging you down so you can get on with life. :-)

Thank you for sharing the beautiful pictures.

Ryeissa
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Hello! Nice to hear from you!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:14 pm

Hi Tempest! Welcome back. Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing.

Tempest
Greenie

Postby Tempest » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 am

Sue B wrote:Welcome back Tempest. I was wondering what became of you and Storm just the other day!

Aw, shucks. We're still trucking along, slowly but surely. She's a gem of a horse.

So, good news - got in for an MRI last week, results came back yesterday and I'm all clear for MS or any other brain nasties.

So we've circled back round to fibro as the primary diagnosis, which is ok. I mean, it still sucks, but at least I know I've investigated it. We upped my LDN (low dose naltrexone) dose - I had been on 0.5mg which wasn't really doing anything other than giving me spazzy dreams, so I had stopped taking it, but after discussing it with the doc we decided we'd try 1mg and in a couple of weeks I can up the dose myself if I want to.

I am taking a bit of a holistic approach to this now - so rather than just trying to shove meds at it and pray it gets better, I'm actively going to physio, acupuncture and psychologist (all I can say is, thank god for bulk billing and health insurance!!) and trying to address each of the major symptoms as well as keeping my mind and body as fit as possible.

Physio has been really tough - I've had issues with my lower back and sciatica for ages and have developed really bad muscle tension as a result, from "guarding" my body - this is causing the limp. Been doing loads and loads of trigger point therapy (the acupuncture also addresses the tension issues) and we've moved on now to a functional exercise program which I do every day at home, aiming to stretch, release and strengthen certain muscles. The work is really pissing off my sciatica and the pain, for the moment, is actually quite a bit worse but I'm determined to stick with it because I can feel the payoff in how much more responsive my body feels - and as a bonus, my trainer is telling me my posture in the saddle looks better :D Also adding in some light walking (which has proven to be really difficult as my back twinges - I've been told to go for a couple of small walks each day, not far enough to annoy my back, but enough that I can begin to build up to longer walks). I'm also really wanting to get a bike at some point as it's easy to walk unevenly and work muscles unevenly, but cycling (or swimming) is much more bilaterally even. I'm also trying to teach myself to walk normally again, as the limp is/was a fear avoidance behaviour just as much as a physical disability, and now it's an ingrained habit, so I have to adjust for that - only downside is that I still get the pain response from the sciatica when walking normally so I think I have a long road ahead of me there.

Anyway, the upside is that I'm finally feeling a lot more positive about everything - I really had a bad, bad time adjusting mentally to the changes fibro was forcing me to make in my life - I have a great boss who gives me the time I need to rest and is 100% supportive, I have a treatment plan, I have a way forward, and I do actually have a lot of things to look forward to in the next 12 months or so. I read this quote in a book not long ago and it keeps coming to mind now - "You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails." Seems like an excellent motto to go by :D

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Tempest, beautiful pics and thanks for sharing. Congratulations and am looking forward to more pics and wonderful stories!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”