New here!

lrhanoverians
Greenie

New here!

Postby lrhanoverians » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi everyone! I am new to this BB., was on the old one, but kept fairly quiet though.

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a massage therapist that works from home, and I also breed Hanoverian horses. My dream was to always be able to work from home, and to have my horses in my backyard., and that dream has come true. Each year my handy husband and I will work hard to renovate our century old farm and property. The big project for this year is to build 2 more run-in sheds that will lead out to two different horse pastures (maternity pastures.) The run-ins will back onto a new hay barn to store our winter round bales. The cool thing is, we will do all the work ourselves, from cutting the trees from our woods, milling it, and then building the timber framed building ourselves. It's a labour of love, but we take a lot of pride in it (and save tons of money too ;) )

I have an almost 1 year old son, Everett. He is an absolute doll. Happy, such a good temperament. I was back to work 4 weeks after an emergency c-section, and have worked and looked after Everett ever since. A juggling act for sure!

Now the fun part. I'm a dressage rider, although haven't ridden seriously in years. With our old property, we can't just ride in the open fields since they are not level. We have a spot cleared for a riding ring, however, that will have to wait for a little while until my breeding program gets going.

Here are a few pictures of my lovely ladies. I am SO proud of what I have in my backyard.

Mare #1. Diamond Days (Diamond Hit x SPS Romancero) I bought this gorgeous and kind hearted mare when she was 2 days old. She is my everything. Such a darling personality, lots of get up and go, extremely typey, perfect legs and feet. And the perfect size for me. Just barely 16.1 I love her and loved the 1 time I got to ride her before she completed her MPT as a 3 year old. She was sensitive (in a good way), forward, listening, wanting to learn. My plan is to eventually get her back into riding and have her be my personal riding horse. I plan to try and keep her genetics moving forward by doing embryo transfers. She is expecting a Dante Weltino foal in June. This will be her 2nd baby, as her first is being raised as a stallion prospect. I really want to try and ET with her this spring to either Dante Weltino or Bon Coeur ...we will see :)

Mare #2. Free to Be (Fidertanz x SPS Don Bosco) This mare is a new arrival, however, has been 'in the making' for a little while. I recall seeing her at the breeder's farm, and thinking, she would be an awesome addition. Didn't it happen that the breeder wanted to sell her, contact me, and luckily we had room for one more mare. This mare is a phenomenal mover, ridiculous front leg and super engaged hind end. Her two first foals have been outstanding, and we are expecting a 3rd from the same sire (Fabregas) in a few weeks time!! We are hoping to breed her to Belissimo in the spring. Fingers crossed.

Mare #3. Cindy (Certus x Welfenschatz). This is my old girl, with old fashioned pedigree and type. She is shorter and stockier with a bit of good Holsteiner in the pedigree too. She has been a career broodmare and is expecting baby #9 I believe this spring. She's a 1998 model, super healthy, loves her job. Very sweet and kind mare, but the boss to everyone else. She's expecting a Buckingham baby in June and we will breed her again to either Royal Classic or Finest. She has some jumper blood in there, and maybe isn't as fancy prancy as the other two mares, but she is a very solid producer. Image

These are my ladies. I do all the breeding work myself (ultrasound/AI), as I live in a remote area with limited vet experience and they unfortunately are not able to be at my farm every 6 hours. I learned embryo transfer too, which I would like to try soon. I also have a 2016 Hanoverian weanling Schwarzenegger x Cindy. No new pics as she is in the 'hide behind the barn' stage. But she is sweet, a bigger mover than mom, more modern type, and very athletic.

That is the quick and dirty :lol: I look forward to being an active member!
Last edited by lrhanoverians on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: New here!

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Hi "stranger"!! :D

Nice to see you here! Can't wait to see your foals this year!!!

Everett is SO CUTE!!!

lrhanoverians
Greenie

Postby lrhanoverians » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Hehe, Hi Rosie!! I figured it was time, and I really missed the discussions!!

Foals soon!!

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:54 am

Hello

Tempest
Greenie

Postby Tempest » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:35 am

Hello, welcome! I would absolute love to see progress pics for your farm renovations - every part of it! We're hoping to buy a farm in the next couple of years and I have no doubt it will require a lot of work so I love seeing how and what other people are doing.

Your horses are beautiful!

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:50 am

Welcome to DDBB!

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:48 am

Hello and welcome! I love your Hanoverian girls!

lrhanoverians
Greenie

Postby lrhanoverians » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:00 pm

Thank you! As we get into the reno's I will be sure to post some pictures! They should be starting soon ... it was feeling like spring, but we just got more snow last night, uf. So they will wait a little bit longer.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:04 pm

Welcome! What a great life you get to lead!! Raising a son on a farm is just perfect IMO.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:11 pm

Beautiful horses! Your son is darling. Can't wait for LOTS more pics. WELCOME!

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:45 pm

Welcome! Lovely kid and lovely horses.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Welcome! The horses are great, but OH THAT LITTLE EVERETT! :D <3

I have a feeling you were here previously with a different name. Care to share?????

lrhanoverians
Greenie

Postby lrhanoverians » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks! I was here previously, but honestly cannot recall what my name was! JuneDressage, or Shannon29/canucksgal are my usual names. I would have mentioned my Diamond Hit mare beforehand. She would have been just a baby at that point!

I will have to figure out how to post more pictures as I have tons more hehe.

Everett is a total heartbreaker. We are so lucky., he had his first day of daycare today, and all the kids adored him and I was told over and over again what a super temperament he has. He was also kissed by many girls. So it starts ...

First couple of pictures are of us building 'a barn within a barn' Only 1/2 of the barn has been completed, but we will finish the other half in a few years. The main structure of this barn is extremely sturdy.

This is the lean to shed that was an absolute mess when we purchased the property. Reinforced it, and added newer roof.
And Everett today at day care. Happy boy!

The run-in shed that we built a few summers ago. We will be building 2 more just like it this year.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Welcome! Beautiful horses, cute baby, and great work on your property! I think its really neat that you do all of that work on your own!
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:44 am

Welcome fellow Nova Scotia! Nice horses and nice property! So great to have a handy husband.

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:18 am

So many great pics! The kidlet is so cute I can barely look at the horses :))) I'm in S. Alberta where we are trying to decide if it snows, rains or shines daily. Welcome!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 am

Welcome.

What an idyllic set-up (at least in my mind ;) )....of course after a lot of hard work on your part.

Beautiful family--humans and horses alike.

Thanks for sharing.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”