Would you refuse to buy/sell over party politics?

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Would you refuse to buy/sell over party politics?

Postby ThursdayNext » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Just trying to liven things up around here! ;)

I have sold only one horse, and that was to my horse mom, from whom I originally bought the horse. She is an A++ horse person, so no qualms there (We happen to share similar political views (although she's more liberal than I am), so that never crossed my mind. ...). However, lately I have been researching breeders' facebook pages, and some of them make their politics obvious. ... It's a no brainer to nix a sale over animal abuse. But I thought, huh, what if someone wanted to buy your horse or sell a horse to you, and you really opposed their politics? How would that affect your decision, if at all? Have you ever nixed a sale or purchase over politics?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Would you refuse to buy/sell over party politics?

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:48 am

i have stopped following certain friends, not because of their political views, but because of the unrelenting volume of political interest they have, ie reposting multiple very one sided viewpoints every day. While i would not in particular refuse to deal with them, it does mean that i do not see when they post an animal for sale. of course facebook is cracking down on horses posted for sale, so it might be moot.

i would say if you use social media for your business, then pushing any particular political viewpoint in an unrelenting manner would affect it

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:53 am

Chisamba wrote:i have stopped following certain friends, not because of their political views, but because of the unrelenting volume of political interest they have, ie reposting multiple very one sided viewpoints every day. While i would not in particular refuse to deal with them, it does mean that i do not see when they post an animal for sale. of course facebook is cracking down on horses posted for sale, so it might be moot.

i would say if you use social media for your business, then pushing any particular political viewpoint in an unrelenting manner would affect it

I agree with Chisamba. I have many friends with opposing viewpoints and I can usually deal with it as long as there isn't an unrelenting volume as Chisamba said.
Would I stop from buying a horse because of someone's political views? I don't think so.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:21 pm

If I see a business expressing support for hate, sexism, lies about science, lies about immigrants, etc. they do not get my immigrant money. So there.

If they are wise enough to shut up and keep their opinions to themselves and off their social feeds, I can work with them.

p.s. I had to have a discussion with my farrier about this. He wanted to go off into hate speech about immigrants and Muslims and I just said flatly that is unacceptable language to use around me, ever. He shut up. I'm glad I can still use him as he is very good!

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:27 pm

I also, do not support any person or business who openly supports racism, sexism, hatred towards others etc.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:38 pm

As the others have said. On a similar note, I have known an older man about four years now. He's kind, generous, sweet, funny, and I just found out via his SIL, racist! I don't know what to do about it. He and his wife travel in the same circle of friends in the summer as do I. We dine together often, play pickle ball with a group one night a week, share beverages once or twice a week... I'm shocked and stumped.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:41 pm

I have friends from all walks of life, so, no I wouldn't refuse to buy something from someone who doesn't share my political views. I wouldn't sell an animal to someone I didn't think would take good care of him/her, regardless of politics.

I ignore most political posts on FB.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:58 am

I bought my last horse from someone with dramatically opposing political views from me. She had political signs all over her property. She was also funny, welcoming, encouraging, and an honest seller. I chose to do business with the human, not the color of her lawn signs. It was one of those human interactions that made me think that we're all going to be okay.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Wouldn't bother me a bit, it's still green money!

I'd rather NOT KNOW everyone's opinions about everything- over-sharing is really gone too far. Now that is hard if they are posting lawn signs...
I know a lot of conservatives and a lot of liberals. Who cares? I see problems and good things about both sides.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:59 pm

Tarlo, the way I'd think about it is that he is still the same kind, generous, sweet, funny person you knew before; he hasn't changed and it appears you've enjoyed his friendship (searching for the appropriate word). The only thing that has changed is something you've learned about him.

Me, I'd just avoid potential negative topics. As Ryeissa noted, I tend to avoid talking politics or other potentially inflammatory topics with people unless I am very, very sure of their feelings, thoughts and responses :)

PS. If you were contemplating a more "serious" relationship (not trying to be presumptive), his "racist" opinions might give me pause but I still might dip my toe in the water knowing I might be risking more than just him in the circle of friends and find out exactly how much and about what is he racist. It may be label that is applied but interpreted differently by different people.

MaryC
Novice

Postby MaryC » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Are these breeders posting racist/sexist/homophobic/fill-in-the-blank-ist comments, or are they just supporters of a political party you don't endorse? If the former, it might sway me to take my business elsewhere. If the latter, would you really remove half the population (give or take) from your list of approved people to conduct business with? Really? I've got plenty of friends that are delighted with our president, and plenty that are aghast, but they're still my friends. That said, I don't have to necessarily have a conversation with them about it, or read their FB posts - although it's interesting and useful to hear opposing viewpoints once in awhile.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:19 pm

MaryC wrote:Are these breeders posting racist/sexist/homophobic/fill-in-the-blank-ist comments, or are they just supporters of a political party you don't endorse? If the former, it might sway me to take my business elsewhere. If the latter, would you really remove half the population (give or take) from your list of approved people to conduct business with? Really? I've got plenty of friends that are delighted with our president, and plenty that are aghast, but they're still my friends. That said, I don't have to necessarily have a conversation with them about it, or read their FB posts - although it's interesting and useful to hear opposing viewpoints once in awhile.

Excellent post

Wicky
Herd Member

Postby Wicky » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:36 pm

i agree with Mary C. I have to say that our (and I count myself in there) reaction to just avoid politics really means that we don't feel that we can have civil conversations with people who do not think like we do, which of course prevents minds from being changed.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:44 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Tarlo, the way I'd think about it is that he is still the same kind, generous, sweet, funny person you knew before; he hasn't changed and it appears you've enjoyed his friendship (searching for the appropriate word). The only thing that has changed is something you've learned about him.

Wish it were that simple...My BIL is a black man. He and my sister have been together since the late '60's and married since the early '70's. I'm so cognizant of what they've gone through. Notice I didn't say "went through". He's in his mid-80's and not out-and-about anymore due to health, so he doesn't face any "issues", but this shit hasn't gone away.
I believe I will have a conversation with my friend this summer.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:33 pm

MaryC wrote:Are these breeders posting racist/sexist/homophobic/fill-in-the-blank-ist comments, or are they just supporters of a political party you don't endorse? If the former, it might sway me to take my business elsewhere. If the latter, would you really remove half the population (give or take) from your list of approved people to conduct business with? Really? I've got plenty of friends that are delighted with our president, and plenty that are aghast, but they're still my friends. That said, I don't have to necessarily have a conversation with them about it, or read their FB posts - although it's interesting and useful to hear opposing viewpoints once in awhile.

I have a friend who is very pro-Trump. And I still like to hear WHY he is pro-Trump. We share the same right leaning posture. But I cannot for the life of me, understand why he thinks Trump has been good thus far. I think that if both political parties listened better to the other side and why people consider this candidate better than another one, we might be able to re-unite this horribly divided country.

I fondly remember talking to a member of the old UDBB about politics. We were on opposite sides of the debate but it was just really really interesting to hear his thoughts. I miss that. And I can't remember his name either. David something maybe? It was a long time ago.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:00 pm

MaryC wrote:Are these breeders posting racist/sexist/homophobic/fill-in-the-blank-ist comments, or are they just supporters of a political party you don't endorse? If the former, it might sway me to take my business elsewhere.
What one person views as racist/sexist/homophobic/fill-in-the-blank comments, another person may not. It's uncanny how people (from opposite political views) can read or hear the same thing and get a completely different meaning from it.

To answer the OP's question, I would buy for anyone, even a criminal, if I liked the horse. Who I sold to (and I've only sold a couple) would depend on how I thought they would be cared for.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 pm

The only way differing political views would sway my business dealings (buying or selling) would be if the person said or posted so much stuff I found offensive that I ultimately unfriended/avoided them. At that point, I wouldn't know if they were selling anything and I would let them know if I was - so probably it would hamper business dealings. It doesn't mean they might not hear through a friend of a friend or a publicly posted advertisement but that would be about it. I wouldn't refuse business (either buying or selling) based on this alone.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”