Deposit for sale horse question

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Deposit for sale horse question

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:09 pm

My friend is looking for a pony/horse for her son. She found one that sounds like what she's looking for, about 4.5 hours away from where we live. She called to set up an appointment to look at the pony this weekend, and the owners said that they would require a deposit for 1/3 of the purchase price. Nothing wrong with that at all, and I completely understand that with all of the tire kickers out there, but then the owner goes on to say that the deposit is non-refundable. When asked why it was non-refundable, they said that they had a lot of interest in the pony, so in order for them to hold it until the weekend, you had to pay.

To me, if you have a lot of interest in a pony, that would be even less of a reason to have a non-refundable deposit, but maybe I'm wrong. My friend is asking my advice on what to do, but I'd like to have others weigh in with their thoughts to make sure that my thinking isn't completely out of line. What are DDBB's feelings on the subject?

I should probably also add that there is no video of the pony and no under saddle photos of the pony in motion, but the pony is being sold as a lesson pony/babysitter type.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Deposit for sale horse question

Postby Chancellor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Your friend can just drive out to see the pony. If the pony sells beforehand, well, then so be it. Let the seller know to give them a call if the pony sells beforehand.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:28 pm

I would laugh and walk away.

I would never pay just to go look at a horse.
Keep calm and canter on.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:18 pm

StraightForward wrote:I would laugh and walk away.

I would never pay just to go look at a horse.

This was my thought as well. Put a deposit to prove that you're serious? Yes, but a non-refundable deposit just to get an appointment to see a horse? I don't even think that's technically legal, if one wanted to take it to court to be honest.

I definitely wouldn't make a 9 hour round trip on the off chance that they'd let me see the pony once I got there, without the non-refundable deposit.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Not only would I not pay to go look at a horse but I'd also be very suspicious what is wrong with that pony that they are requiring a 1/3 non-refundable deposit to even come look at it...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Yeah... no.

I'd sort of understand it if they'd said to the owner "don't sell it 'til I get there," but just to go look, no.

Whenever I've sold a horse, I've made appointments on the understanding that I'd let the person know if it sold, or someone put a deposit down subject to a PPE, before they got there.

I did once have a person hold a horse for me when I was purchasing an airplane ticket and flying in to see it, but that was their choice (and I still have the horse 12 years later :))

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:59 pm

If a buyer asked me to take a horse off of the market so they could look at it I would expect to be paid a nonrefundable deposit, especially if there are other people wanting to look at it. Those other people could very likely find a different horse to purchase while waiting for you to come and then I would be stuck with no one to buy my horse. I would only take the horse off the market for a virtual sure thing, and A nonrefundable deposit ensures that. My deposit has always been way less than a third of the purchase price, usually 10% and dependent on the PPE.
Last edited by svvdressage on Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Nope, maybe a minimal holding fee (100-200) but not 1/3 of the price.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:52 pm

Thanks for your input guys. I will pass along your comments to my friend.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:49 pm

I too required a non-refundable deposit (few hundred bucks) when the potential buyer wanted the horse pulled off the market, but that was after she'd taken a first look and wanted a little time to think. I personally have never asked a buyer to hold a horse for me prior to my making it out to see it. I have always figured if the horse sold before I got there, then it wasn't to be. i also don't take the seller's time up unless I am sure that I am ready to make a purchase.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:44 pm

agree with Chancellor, stil plan to see the pony, do not expect it pulled from the market, ask them to be polite enough to let you know if it sold before they take the drive

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm

Chisamba wrote:agree with Chancellor, stil plan to see the pony, do not expect it pulled from the market, ask them to be polite enough to let you know if it sold before they take the drive

After getting more information, I found out that she wasn't asking the pony to be taken off of the market. She asked if she could go see the pony this weekend and was told yes, with a deposit, which she was fine with until she found out it was non-refundable. When she balked, the owner said that there was a lot of other interest in the pony, to which my friend replied that that was fine, but if the pony wasn't sold by the weekend, she would like to see it. Basically, there is no just showing up to see the pony. You can't see the pony without paying, period.

I think she would be less reluctant if the owners had video of the pony under saddle, or any video at all tbh. She's had some experiences with ponies being completely misrepresented already, so she's a bit leary to just take the owner's word on it's suitability.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:32 pm

It's unreasonable, and makes me wonder what else they would be unreasonable about. If pony is so wonderful, it will sell within the first few lookers, so I can't see the deposit as anything except a scam. If they think people will try to get their kid a free pony ride out of it, I can see maybe charging a small amount at the time of the viewing as a lesson fee. Not someone I would want to do business with; I'll bet they'd be a nightmare to deal with through the PPE process too.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:
Chisamba wrote:agree with Chancellor, stil plan to see the pony, do not expect it pulled from the market, ask them to be polite enough to let you know if it sold before they take the drive

After getting more information, I found out that she wasn't asking the pony to be taken off of the market. She asked if she could go see the pony this weekend and was told yes, with a deposit, which she was fine with until she found out it was non-refundable. When she balked, the owner said that there was a lot of other interest in the pony, to which my friend replied that that was fine, but if the pony wasn't sold by the weekend, she would like to see it. Basically, there is no just showing up to see the pony. You can't see the pony without paying, period.

I think she would be less reluctant if the owners had video of the pony under saddle, or any video at all tbh. She's had some experiences with ponies being completely misrepresented already, so she's a bit leary to just take the owner's word on it's suitability.

Well, then wait until the owner of this pony pisses off enough people with ridiculous deposits and drops the price. No normal person is going to pay that. If they asked for a $20 deposit, I might think about it if the pony was perfect. But 1/3 the price, nope.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm

Where did the seller come up with this insane request!

You have to PAY to even see the pony - OMG - I would run fast from these people. God knows, there may not even be a pony ! No video, No pics, No Pony...LOL

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:04 pm

I would definitely Google this seller and check out Facebook to see if you can find any more info out about her.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:42 pm

I would bet this seller gets more than a few riders at a non-refundable 'deposit' each from the newbie, first-time horse buyer who doesn't know they shouldn't do this and doesn't know they should get a PPE. I bet that the pressure will be on for a potential buyer to pay up the rest of the purchase price because if they don't, there is someone coming later in the day/next morning who wants to buy the pony. If you want the pony, buy it now.

Yeah, it happens (almost had it happen to me with my first horse... almost bought the wrong horse because my family and I were first time buyers, the horse was nice and quiet and pretty palomino and high ringbone - good thing my mom worked for an equine vet and talked to hime *before* we quickly bought the horse as there was someone coming in a few hours who did want to buy it.) Yes, we walked away and glad we did (vet remembered the horse and ringbone)...

:shock:

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I've offered and sent 10% non refundable deposits on horses far away to give myself a day to think about it and set up vetting. Bought both so it worked out ok. They were rare to find horses, so I didn't want to chance someone else getting ahead of me.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:35 pm

it actually sounds scam like

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:11 pm

No, nonononono...hell no!!!

Sounds like a variant of one of those scam OTTB/Auction "rescues" to me.

What is it with the horse world? So many con artists preying on the unwary.

I hope your friend finds a lovely, sane, pony from a lovely, sane, seller!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:41 pm

BTW, if anyone is looking for an adorable, *trained* and very polite pony and can shop in TN, this little mare is delightful:
https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2065638.html
She was at my barn for a bit before moving to a more youth-oriented barn. Truly a little 12.2 unicorn. No deposit required to meet her ;-)

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:47 pm

Totally sounds like a scam. I wouldn't consider travelling to see a horse without video footage, and zero appts without a 1/3 fee? Beyond unreasonable!

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:35 pm

Piedmontfields, she is CUTE!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:38 pm

After a little more interaction with the pony's owners, my friend agreed that this was sounding more and more like a scam. Thanks for your input!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:40 pm

piedmontfields wrote:BTW, if anyone is looking for an adorable, *trained* and very polite pony and can shop in TN, this little mare is delightful:
https://www.dreamhorse.com/ad/2065638.html
She was at my barn for a bit before moving to a more youth-oriented barn. Truly a little 12.2 unicorn. No deposit required to meet her ;-)

She is very cute!! Just a tad taller than my friend is wanting or I'd tell her to have a look.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

The hard part with these "scammers" is they know just what to say to suck in the unsuspecting horse-struck kids and their uninformed parents :(

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Dapple Field wrote:Piedmontfields, she is CUTE!

It was very hard not to buy her just because she is a sweetheart with an awesome name (Pebbles) and looks like a miniature version of my mare! Some lucky kid(s) will have fun with her.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:17 pm

I LOVE PEBBLES!!!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:14 pm

I love Pebbles too, how can 12 and a half hands be too big, lol. :)

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon May 01, 2017 1:12 pm

Chisamba wrote:I love Pebbles too, how can 12 and a half hands be too big, lol. :)

I had the same question! The child is quite small for their age and mom says that he wants to learn to do everything by himself, so they want something small enough that he can tack up on his own. They are wanting 10-11 hands, preferably. They did go look at a larger pony out of state, but decided that they are wanting something smaller. They have younger children as well, that will grow into the pony as the oldest outgrows it.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sat May 06, 2017 1:54 am

How obtuse. To think someone would pay 'just' to see a horse and hold it till the weekend (and 1/3rd the price!). That means, 3 people is all it would take to pay for the animal. I would shoot them back an e-mail no doubt on how arrogant ... blah blah blah...!!!!

I always think, if the horse is still available when I am able to see it, then it may or may not be, the one for me. If the horse is sold by the time I am able to see it, well then, it was not meant to be and there is a better one out there. Simple.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 am

BTW, Pebbles sold last week.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”