Rain ....

DJR
500 post plus club

Rain ....

Postby DJR » Wed May 10, 2017 6:05 am

So, here's the thing. It just keeps raining. I'm about to vent now ...

Since the 2nd week of January, it just keeps raining.

First it was 7 weeks of weekly freezing rain storms that shut down school buses and made driving, running a farm, and anything outdoors treacherous.
Then it was torrential rains in March followed by a huge snowstorm.
The footing ALL winter in my neck of the woods was crap and, since I have no indoor arena, we couldn't ride for weeks ... for months.
Then spring showed up and we got back on our horses ... for about a week.
Then more torrential rain for 2 days.
On ... and on ... and on ...
Yesterday was the last day of FIVE days of continuous rain (sure it stopped once or twice in the last 48 hrs, but that was it ... prior to that, it rained absolutely continuously for 72 hrs ... heavily).

Then the weather changed today. I thought, "yay, sunshine, finally!" I was excited because, to date, almost all horse events (shows, clinics) have been cancelled due to the rain. Not only is outdoor footing crap, but there's nowhere to park trucks & trailers on saturated fields. I was excited that this weekend, the horse-related events I was looking forward to might actually happen.

And I was excited to be able to ride ... but today I had an evening work meeting after a full day of work so couldn't ride. And tomorrow I work a 12-hr day so I knew I wouldn't have time to ride then either. I knew riding would have to wait until Thursday and then I could ride through the weekend ...

Then I looked at the forecast for the weekend: Friday 5 mm of rain (no big deal, but still more than we need with record flooding occurring throughout this region and worse in our neighbouring province of Quebec), Saturday 20 mm of rain all. friggin'. day. Sunday 15 mm of rain. Monday 10 mm of rain. If this forecast holds, it's almost a certainty that the Saturday "Derby" (a jumping event that combines stadium with XC jumping) will be cancelled because of the completely saturated footing and lack of safe parking. The Sunday clinic will carry on because it's in an indoor ... but I haven't been able to ride in what seems like forever so my horses are not as fit as they should be at this time of year, and neither am I ... so I'll be riding in the clinic on fresh, insufficiently prepared horses.

Lake Ontario is now at a record high. The water level in the lake has never been this high in recorded history. And it will continue to rise. People are losing their homes in a bunch of areas throughout Ontario & Quebec. So not being able to ride is small potatoes in that context. I'm very, very fortunate that my house, barns & farm are on high & good ground so there is no water damage. In fact, paradoxically, my outdoor sand ring is absolutely fine even after the heaviest of the rains. But the footing to GET to the outdoor ring is so saturated that it gets chewed up even if I walk on it.

So this is definitely a first-world problem that I'm whining about not being able to ride except in fits & starts if the rain chooses to stop for a moment. And I am counting my blessings that I haven't lost my home or my barns to flooding.

But riding is how I unwind. And these days, I can't do the thing that helps me unwind after busy, stressful work weeks. Also, where I live (eastern Ontario) isn't supposed to be this wet, this often. It just sucks. I know it will get better at some point. For now, it sucks.

Thanks for reading!

[/vent]
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

kande50
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Rain ....

Postby kande50 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:09 am

DJR wrote:So this is definitely a first-world problem that I'm whining about not being able to ride except in fits & starts if the rain chooses to stop for a moment. And I am counting my blessings that I haven't lost my home or my barns to flooding.

We're not getting hit quite as hard as some, but somehow we managed to get a new horse at about the same time the monsoons started, so everyone is all worked up around here and they've torn up just about every square inch of ground near the new horse's pen.

A few years ago I would have had everyone locked up in the sacrifice areas to minimize the damage (one mule has even been charging the fence and then turning around and double barrelling it, and has popped the no climb horse fence right off the posts), but I now realize that the damage to the sod will heal so I haven't been worrying about it as much. Although I have been putting up more electric fence to try to keep them off the permanent fences.

Riding isn't such a big priority for me anymore, so even if I didn't have an indoor I wouldn't mind taking a vacation from riding. But I do like things calm around here, and they haven't been for a week now, with no end to the drama in sight.

I do sympathize with those who would like to be riding but can't due to work or weather, as I lived that for a long time before I decided to bite the bullet and put up an indoor. If I knew then what I know now I would have done it sooner.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 pm

Oh I feel your pain. Northern Maine here, we *just* got rid of the snow, I just got the horse home, and I can't turn out to pasture, it is a swamp! The arena is only barely useable if it's been dry for 2 or 3 days yesterday I hand grazed in the front yard because it's on fill, which drains better, but still he was leaving foot prints. At least my paddock area is rock fill and gravel - so it drains - no mud - but It feels like it's been raining forever (its pouring now). (In actuality, we've getting a day with sun breaks, then two or three days of rain - and we haven't had as much as you have). It's the middle of freaking May and it looks and feels like November...

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed May 10, 2017 3:25 pm

DJR, I feel your pain. It only just got sunny and nice this last week or so. All our water ways are at flood stage around here now that the snow is coming off the mountains to join the greater than normal Spring rains. Jingles for your weather calming down sooner rather than later.

Dapple Field
Herd Member

Postby Dapple Field » Wed May 10, 2017 3:51 pm

We had snow at the slightly higher elevations yesterday and the day before and more rain elsewhere. There is no end in sight for at least a week. I had to put winter coats back on the horses it has been so cold here lately. When the sun finally does come out, the bugs are going to be horrendous!! DJR, hope you can get back on soon, and be safe at the clinic with your at this point -semi feral horses...

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed May 10, 2017 7:25 pm

It's been a lousy spring here, too, but nothing compared with what you've had, DJR. I hope summer is glorious for us all!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu May 11, 2017 12:47 pm

For those of you who haven't, it helps the rest of us know where you're talking about by including your location, either in your profile so it shows up under your photo, or at least in your text. Thanks.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Thu May 11, 2017 12:59 pm

I feel like I live on the edge of the Universe. Often a foreign country (they speak a lot of french up here) Fort Kent, Maine.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu May 11, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for the commiseration!

I was hopeful that the last two days of sunshine meant a change in this pattern, but we have more rain coming tomorrow, quite a bit more forecasted for Saturday, and less on Sunday/Monday. So, the whole weekend will, once again, be wet. And, once again, the Saturday horsey event I was registered for (a "Derby" (XC/stadium jumping event) has been cancelled because the turf still is soggy from last weekend's nonstop rain let alone more coming this weekend.

The weather guy on the radio said that after Monday, things will be returning to more typical seasonal weather. I'm afraid to get my hopes up, but I sure hope he's right!

On a more positive note, my horses have so many dapples this year that I can't count them! Their coats must like the rain!! LOL

Woost2
Herd Member

Postby Woost2 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:13 pm

Since are suffering the consequences of climate change, consider joining the Citizen's Climate Lobby. There may be a chapter in your city, state or province. https://citizensclimatelobby.org/ It is the most organized group I've ever encountered, it is doing incredible bi-partisan work and has a plan. Just a thought.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu May 11, 2017 6:37 pm

DJR wrote:The weather guy on the radio said that after Monday, things will be returning to more typical seasonal weather.

And what that means is probably hot and miserable. Today was perfect here. Warm and sunny, but still too chilly for the bugs, although they'll probably hatch out tomorrow and then I hope they all drown on Sat and Sun when it's supposed to pour.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu May 11, 2017 7:00 pm

kande50 wrote:
DJR wrote:The weather guy on the radio said that after Monday, things will be returning to more typical seasonal weather.

And what that means is probably hot and miserable. Today was perfect here. Warm and sunny, but still too chilly for the bugs, although they'll probably hatch out tomorrow and then I hope they all drown on Sat and Sun when it's supposed to pour.

No, at this time of year our weather is typically quite pleasant. The blackflies can be annoying but otherwise it's lovely riding weather. We don't get into humid-hot awfulness until July/August (usually).

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Thu May 11, 2017 7:32 pm

kande50 wrote:I do sympathize with those who would like to be riding but can't due to work or weather, as I lived that for a long time before I decided to bite the bullet and put up an indoor. If I knew then what I know now I would have done it sooner.
Clearly. I'm sorry I didn't put up one right when we built the farm. I'm sorry I didn't just put up an indoor instead of the barn. Of course, indoors are expensive and not everyone can (or wants to) afford one. If you really shop around, you can get some really good prices. We did.

I think with one 1 or 2 horses, you can ship out or board out in inclement weather. When you have several horses that you ride, it becomes almost a necessity for an indoor. It's not just the rain or snow that you need one for. It's the heat as well and to get away from the bugs. It serves as a turnout in bad weather. So many plusses.

Amado wrote:Oh I feel your pain. Northern Maine here, we *just* got rid of the snow, I just got the horse home, and I can't turn out to pasture, it is a swamp! The arena is only barely useable if it's been dry for 2 or 3 days yesterday I hand grazed in the front yard because it's on fill, which drains better, but still he was leaving foot prints. At least my paddock area is rock fill and gravel - so it drains - no mud - but It feels like it's been raining forever (its pouring now). (In actuality, we've getting a day with sun breaks, then two or three days of rain - and we haven't had as much as you have). It's the middle of freaking May and it looks and feels like November...
Did you realize what the weather there was going to be like when you decided to move there? I used to be on forum with a lady from Maine and there are just about 6 months you can ride. Winter starts early and Summer comes late.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm

I *wish* I could afford an indoor. I just can't. I've spent the last three years trying to find creative solutions, but it's not within my financial budget anytime soon. By the time I will be able to afford to build an indoor I'll be at the twilight of my riding career! This issue has been a frustrating sore spot for me since I bought my farm (2009). I am currently riding 3 horses so an indoor sure would be ideal! I don't like to board out because then my dogs spend the entire daylight hours (and into the evening) without me around because I get home from work, let them pee while I eat, then go to the barn and disappear from their lives again. Not fair to them, and tiring for me.

So, I have to make do with the (lovely!) outdoor sand ring that I have. I did have lights put up last year so at least I can ride into the evening regardless of daylight hours ... if the weather, my work, my energy levels, and my kid cooperate to allow me to do so, that is!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Fri May 12, 2017 2:23 pm

It's heartbreaking to see the news with the terrible flooding around Quebec, place of my birth. We had a very rainy summer here last year (SW of Calgary) so I sympathise on the no riding. Hope things dry out soon for you. Dont' blame you for venting.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 12, 2017 2:52 pm

DJR, living in hay country (this is where Standlee hay is grown), I have often thought about just putting a hay shed over my arena. it is essentially just a big roof, very tall to accommodate stacks of 1 ton bales and has no walls. It would not solve my wind issue, but it would keep the precipitation off and would discourage our horrid gnats. Don't know what it would cost though and it wouldn't be very pretty but...

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri May 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Amado wrote:I feel like I live on the edge of the Universe. Often a foreign country (they speak a lot of french up here) Fort Kent, Maine.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Fri May 12, 2017 5:38 pm

Sue B wrote:DJR, living in hay country (this is where Standlee hay is grown), I have often thought about just putting a hay shed over my arena. it is essentially just a big roof, very tall to accommodate stacks of 1 ton bales and has no walls. It would not solve my wind issue, but it would keep the precipitation off and would discourage our horrid gnats. Don't know what it would cost though and it wouldn't be very pretty but...

I've thought of this, too. The problem is that my 100x200' sand ring has a hydro pole at one part of it (about 8 m from one long side). When I first had the sand ring installed, I had the option of moving the entire thing 10m north to be away from the hydro pole easement (which is on my property). However, during the planning phase I was in conversation with Hydro One about having a sentinel light installed on that pole. I discussed it three separate times and was told it was possible if I paid for the installation, which I was happy to do. This would have solved my arena lighting issue for the most part. Then, 10 months later (the next spring), I had the arena installed. Once it was in, I called Hydro One to arrange to have the sentinel light installed and was told "NO!!". I explained what had been discussed the previous year, the dates & people I spoke to, and they still said "NO!!!", nothing can go on any hydro easement poles. So, now I have a gorgeous sand ring with a hydro pole in the middle of it! And, expensive LED lights installed around the perimeter.

Anyway, I can never cover this sand ring because it would contravene the laws around building near a hydro pole easement. So, that just sucks, but there you have it.

khall

Postby khall » Fri May 12, 2017 5:51 pm

DJR I am sorry you are dealing with bad weather over and over again. While we do have issues with rain sometimes, not usually to the extent you are dealing with thankfully. Our weather problems involve heat and humidity. They can be brutal and difficult to deal with.

I don't need a full indoor but just a covered arena. Has been bandied about more than once but DH is not for it at this time.

I agree with MC, I wished I had thought about a cover more than my barn! 11 stall barn now down to 6 horses and while I do really like my barn I could have gone with something less expensive and possibly even attached to a covered. Ah well, maybe one day!

Reason why the covered really did not figure prominently for me, for 20 yrs my horses were on property my family owns. We had 150 pecan trees there. Nothing nicer than riding out in a pecan grove even in the hottest of days. 10 acres of lovely big trees.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 12, 2017 5:52 pm

I'm in "high desert" Utah mountains. We had an incredibly snowy winter followed by an unusually wet spring. It's been a miserable quagmire here. Now, it's finally drying out and I'm actually able to get a hay delivery in. The trails are still rather squelchy.

The plus side is that we have more grass than we have had in years. Until it dries up and turns into wildfire tinder.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri May 12, 2017 6:41 pm

DJR wrote: By the time I will be able to afford to build an indoor I'll be at the twilight of my riding career!
Sadly for me, I was in the twilight of my riding when I built mine. We still had to mortgage the house to pay for it. Oh, the sacrifices some of us make for horses.

DJR, I appreciate the problems with restrictions as we had to jump through lots of hoops to get our indoor built. We have a gas pipeline easement going through my property which affects things. I put up my indoor over an existing 200x120 outdoor so as to save money on excavation. So now I have no outdoor and while indoors are nice, they are hot in the summer.

I lived here for 14 years without an indoor and at times had 4 horses. I really didn't miss that many riding days due to weather because we plowed the snow off the ring. Rain is another story. Yes we can ride in it, but who wants to.

For most of you this is just a temporary inconvenience.

I spent one season in Florida in 2003 and we had a covered arena. Even so, it was really blistering hot for me if you didn't get finished by 10am. I am one that prefers cold to hot and so do most horses. My horse never takes a step in the fields once the weather gets hot with bugs. He just stands at the fan.

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 13, 2017 1:29 am

After reading your posts and seeing the news with some extreme weather reports throughout the country - I really have nothing to complain about here. We've had another mild winter with some rain and this weekend will be another wash out - but I've managed to get some rides in between. No indoor and I'm not motivated to board anymore so I'll deal with mother nature. Now hoping we don't get a extremely hot / humid summer but you never know. I'll just have to get up super early to get my ride in.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”