Help New Farm Owner Please...oh, the variables!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Help New Farm Owner Please...oh, the variables!

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 am

Hey gang. The Fixer Upper Farm continues to come along well and we have two very happy horses. I've come up with plans and have been getting equipment that makes sense for the space we have. Three pastures are complete.

So....re: the pastures...lime is needed. Yes, soil has been tested. Yes, county Ag agent has been involved. Several moving parts that keep answers from being straight forward but that is a whole different story.

The logistics of getting the big trucks into some of the horse pastures, keeping horses away from the dust cloud, keeping off fields til rains, etc, make me want to do it myself. Powdered lime is a nightmare with the equipment I have, getting people to come with smaller equipment probably won't work. Been thinking about pelleted lime. And I can't find any info on using in horse pastures as far as safety and brands and such.

I know it's cost prohibitive for big areas, and many don't use, but may need to figure out a way for one or two of the pastures. Does anyone use this? Any insight in what to get/avoid, etc?

Getting these pastures back in shape with horses on it....not an easy feat!

Thanks all!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Help New Farm Owner Please...oh, the variables!

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri May 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Did you do a search in the "Facilities..." forum? We discussed this at length one time...it may have been the UDBB now I think of it... Pelleted lime is fine, and much less hassle and easier on your equipment. Like the powdered lime, once you get a rain, you can put the horses back on the fields even though you will be able to see the lime pellets.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 12, 2017 4:53 pm

Hey Tarlo. Nothing that is saw in the facilities section. Maybe it was in UDBB. So...this is where I get tripped up...products for lawns versus products for grazing pastures (due to the ingestion factor). Is there a potential problem with this with lime products/the pelleted type, or is that just with fertilizers? I read something about agricultural lime versus some other kind of lime, and the extra caustic nature of the wrong stuff you could potentially buy.
A friend's hubby mentioned this ProCal stuff, but i don't trust that there is any real knowledge about use on horse pastures...just "yea, of course it's fine" as an answer.
https://www.ewingirrigation.com/scl-50lb-pro-cal

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Yes, you want Ag lime with no "fertilizers" in it. Just pelleted lime. Again, wait until after a good rain. You'll see the pellets for days or weeks, depending on your rainfall.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Just got off the phone with my buddies at the Ag store. They carry a cheaper version of the above link. Said it is safe for grazing pastures, helped me sort though the amount I'd need, and explained all the stuff I had questions about as far as the options out there. Sounds like this is the way I will go for the horse pastures, and will look at getting the truck to come for the hay fields....unless anyone has any insight or personal experiences as far as tngs I didn't think to ask/didn't know to consider?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 12, 2017 5:11 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:Yes, you want Ag lime with no "fertilizers" in it. Just pelleted lime. Again, wait until after a good rain. You'll see the pellets for days or weeks, depending on your rainfall.

Tarlo, this is the stuff at the Ag store. My buddy told me it didn't have fertilizers in it, just lime. Look right to you? Thanks! https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... 50-lb.aspx

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri May 12, 2017 9:42 pm

Yep. That's the stuff. Sounds like you now have a good connection with your Ag store. That's always helpful and usually fun. Bring 'em cookies some time and they'll bend over backwards for you. :D

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 12, 2017 11:34 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:Yep. That's the stuff. Sounds like you now have a good connection with your Ag store. That's always helpful and usually fun. Bring 'em cookies some time and they'll bend over backwards for you. :D

Haha. I am there so often, and have thrown so much money at them getting this place under control, I think I am definitely on the "nice list". :D Definitely first name basis with everybody and know the sound of their voice when they answer the phone.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue May 16, 2017 3:38 am

Try reaching out to your cooperative extension. Your tax dollars pay for them, and their help is free.
I know I have had good luck with mine, as have a few friends. Some will do soil testing which will
tell you exactly what you need.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 16, 2017 6:35 pm

I"ve used pelleted lime for a while and it works well. I have made my pastures into three smaller ones so I can rotate in and out. That helps me to take care of ones not being used. We also aerate every spring and it has made a big difference.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Redsox..yep! See first post. Did that.
I actually got myself a buddy in county extension as soon as we bought the place, 6 months before our move in date.

Teresa...we just finished fencing off a third pasture about two months ago. Makes it sooooo much easier plotting some of this work out!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”