Ouch ... falling off sucks.

DJR
500 post plus club

Ouch ... falling off sucks.

Postby DJR » Sun May 14, 2017 5:10 pm

Last night I was riding our large pony mare, Aggie (for those who might remember, she's the Fjord-X cutie-pie I bought 3 yrs ago for my daughter, but then found out that she was much more green than advertised so I've been bringing her along for my daughter to grow into after a few years). I was getting ready for a Mary Wanless-style clinic today and just putting her through her paces.

She is not at all good at cantering, but it's really coming along. I had done some nice walk & trot work with her, then into canter, back to trot, then up into canter again. She lost her balance and inverted a bit at one point in the big 30m circle I was doing. Then she spooked herself (she is very spooky, unfortunately) and bolted. I tried to get her round again to get her under control, but something scared her at that point (probably her own lack of balance) and she inverted and bolted even worse, zigging & zagging. I stayed on all the way across the diagonal and then in a big, fast, stiff cantering loop at the far side (200' long sand ring). As she scooted around past the hedge she started picking up speed so I bailed out of fear that she'd put me into the fence or wipe out badly.

I landed full weight and full speed on my left lower back. Holy toledo, did it ever hurt. I couldn't get up for several minutes, and when I did get up my SI area felt decidedly wonky. Despite that, I managed to catch the pony (who was still blowing & snorting & spooked), walk her back to the barn, and untack her. When I was leading her to her own paddock, my back started spasming and I could barely stand up let along lead her back. I had to call my daughter (who was inside getting ready for bed) and she came out to help.

I then went to ER and spent 5 hours there. Thankfully, no fractures were seen on x-ray (but I'm pretty sure I bruised bone by how it feels), but my pain was severe and so most of the time in ER was spent trying to get that under control.

Now, the next day, I'm definitely painful but can at least get around (slowly & carefully!). I sure don't bounce now as a 52-yr-old compared to in my 20s and 30s!!

I'm not sure I'm going to keep this pony. I love her and she is as cute as a button, but I don't think she'll ever be suitable for my daughter (who is a lovely young, beginner rider but fairly timid). I know the pain is colouring my views today, though, so I won't make any decisions now.

Just ... ouch! My pain meds are working, though. We'll see how things go since I have a full & busy day at work tomorrow!! Not looking forward to that!!

Here's the little cutie-patootey:
Aggie_jumping.jpg
Aggie_jumping.jpg (89.27 KiB) Viewed 14986 times
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Fatcat
Herd Member

Re: Ouch ... falling off sucks.

Postby Fatcat » Sun May 14, 2017 5:21 pm

Ouch is right! The pony does sound too spooky and reactive for your daughter, especially if she's a timid Rider. I don't think your fall is coloring your judgement there. Hope you're feeling better soon!

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Sun May 14, 2017 11:04 pm

Ouch, that does sound painful and yes you seem to stop bouncing so well as you get older! My knees will never be the same after my last fall!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Mon May 15, 2017 3:33 am

so sorry you got hurt! wishing you a speedy recovery!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Ouch!!! Wishing you good meds and a speedy recovery.

Bailing is almost always painful---at any age. And yes, that pony's future is on notice!

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Ouch!! Coming off for whatever reason is never fun. Don't forget to trade in your helmet! She is adorable, but I would not blame you for moving her down the road.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Maybe you can find her a place where regular work is not interrupted by lousy weather. She may be a pony that just doesn't do well with a rain interrupted riding schedule.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Mon May 15, 2017 2:57 pm

So sorry to hear this, I did the same thing about a month ago...I was pretty crippled up for 2 1/2 weeks...it does hurt ..and soft tissue injuries take time.I had x rays and had no fractures and my Dr said the ligaments near my spine were sprained. Sending my best healing wishes to you.I bought a new helmet right afterwards..I took a major whack to the back of my head.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Thanks everyone. Yes, a new helmet will be in order. I didn't hurt my head but it sure thwacked the ground hard. It's more my neck muscles that I feel today. And, of course, my left low back & back of hip are toast. I'm at work today (on ketoralac with more powerful meds available if needed) but am very sore and ginger. Standing/sitting repeatedly is no fun!

I just hope that this doesn't turn into the kind of back pain that hounds me for a lifetime. Prior to this fall, I never had back problems so hopefully that is the case post-fall (long-term I mean).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 15, 2017 5:30 pm

Owwww... those dang ponies can be so quick. Yeah, the different sorenesses take time to develop after a fall like that. Hope you're feeling better soon. That is one adorable pony though.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon May 15, 2017 7:48 pm

I will agree...ouch!

I came off one time and landed on my sacrum. I barely made it home...stiffening and pain increasing by the minute. I never did go to the doctor or ER. Ice was my friend and with time, it did get better.

Take care of yourself.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Mon May 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon, and please don't be in a rush to get back into the swing of things. Take your time to heal. Hugs.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 15, 2017 9:04 pm

Ouch indeed. I hope you heal quick.

It's amazing how much it just rattles your whole being. I posted about Walker kicking me in the same spot about 6 weeks ago. It was hard enough that he spun me round and slammed me into the stall wall, and I bent up a finger rather badly. After a couple of days, I wondered if I'd fractured a rib, but it was "just" a muscle tear. I have arthritis and bulging disks in My SI area and piriformis issues anyway, and I was due a couple of nice little shots to calm all that down, so I accelerated things a bit and got them done, but it was still entirely miserable even after them.

I'm OK now, apart from some residual bruising and a deformed finger, but really, this getting older and not bouncing back stuff is really tough!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon May 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Moutaineer wrote:... but really, this getting older and not bouncing back stuff is really tough!

You can say that again!

I called around and found a physiotherapist who had time to see me. She did some very gentle soft tissue massage to try to get some of the sensitivity out, then some TENS for 25 min. That helped about 2%, which may seem like a minute improvement but really it was welcomed because I'm *that* uncomfortable.

What's bugging me now is that both legs are swollen (I don't usually get leg swelling) and my left knee, downstream of the left SI/hip injury, is aching pretty badly since this afternoon and worse after physio. Undoubtedly it's just swelling pushing on nerves, but geez. I don't have the patience to be an invalid!

I had to work today as I had a full docket of patients booked, but I managed to cancel my end-of-day house call (to get to the physiotherapist). I'm very glad that tomorrow I had already booked off for a CME (Continuing Medical Education) event. I've secured a refund for that and I plan to stay home and rest. I also have a friend doing all the outside chores since there's no way I could lift a bale of hay, much less a flake or two (bending down is a no-no right now). It truly does take a village sometimes!

Larbear
Novice

Postby Larbear » Mon May 15, 2017 11:22 pm

StraightForward wrote:Owwww... those dang ponies can be so quick. Yeah, the different sorenesses take time to develop after a fall like that. Hope you're feeling better soon. That is one adorable pony though.

Yeh they can be quick! I used to ride a Fjord mare and a Fjord gelding. Both despite looking rather chunky were extremely nimble and could spin on a dime! The gelding was also very talented at leaping and bucking. At a cross country clinic he bucked on the landing side of a jump so high, it popped me right out of the saddle and I landed running beside him! :o :lol:

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 16, 2017 12:13 am

I am so sorry that you were hurt that badly. It's never a good thing. I would agree that thinking to sell her might not be a bad idea.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Aw DJR, I am sorry you got hurt. I join the sea of voices suggesting you sell dear pony as you will never be able to trust her with your precious daughter. Either that, or you keep her as a pasture ornament like I did with my son's "crazy" pony. Little Black never developed into a pony he could ride out and about because he's simply too reactive (very well bred Welsh pony that was a stud until he was 8), but LB has made a lovely pasture ornament and folks hop on him for a spin now and then.

I know you are a doc, but just thought I'd mention that I too went to the ER after being bucked off 17.1hh Scotty many years ago. I couldn't bear weight on my right leg and couldn't stand up straight. Idiot doc failed to notice the marked and rapid swelling over my hip and pelvic area even though I was sitting there watching it grow! Kind nurse at least gave me an ice pack. :lol: He also declared radiographs unremarkable as did the "radiologist" 2 days later. Follow up with my ortho revealed a non-displaced femoral neck fracture, crushed greater trochanter, and left SI subluxation. I spent 6 weeks on crutches, 8 weeks off the horse, and a couple of years in a fair amount of pain. Tincture of time, one hip injection and some really good physio eventually set things right although follow up films look dreadful. :lol: My word of advice is to be sure to get follow up films and exam if you are still gimping around in a few weeks. Ortho said I was really lucky that femoral neck fracture didn't come apart or cause neck necrosis.

Be careful and heal well! :D

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue May 16, 2017 7:39 pm

Yikes, that's a scary story, Sue. Weight-bearing is the worst for me, but when I have drugs on board it is tolerable and improved today compared to yesterday.

I'm seeing my own primary care doc tomorrow morning because I need more pain meds. We'll see how that goes.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Glad you're ok in the grand scheme of things. How scary! Dang pony is supper cute. Dang pony. :-)

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”