Compression Fractures/Kyphoplasty

KathyS
Greenie

Compression Fractures/Kyphoplasty

Postby KathyS » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience w/ Compression Fractures and/or Kyphoplasty? My husband was in the hospital last week and during a CT of his abdomen, they noticed a compression fracture. He has no idea how it happened, but his back has been sore for the last few weeks. Currently in a back brace, and he has an appt with neuro later this week. Kyphoplasty has been mentioned. He is an RN, and he is worried that this could impact his ability to work.

Thanks!

Dragonfly
Greenie

Re: Compression Fractures/Kyphoplasty

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:28 pm

I've not had it done but have been in numerous OR's as the tech...

I kyphoplasty is mostly used for those with extreme and multiple compression fractures. Essentially, a vetebral body (the square part) compresses at the front, losing height and become triangular. Over time, this causes pain. loss of height and a change in posture.

The procedure itself can be done in an Angio suite and takes 1-2 hours. The radiologist or surgeon, drills through the pedicle of the vertebral body (hardest part of the bony structure) into the center of the VB. Then, a balloon is inserted and a type of cement is pushed in, it hardens immediately. It can't rebuild a VB to its original height, but can prevent further collapse and in most cases, reduces pain and loss of motion.

As for what can you do after? Most patients at our hospital are walking within hours and discharged the next morning. He will be sore, it is surgery!!, and he might need to take it easy for a week or two, but that's about it.

Mirabella
Greenie

Postby Mirabella » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 pm

I don't know who is suggesting surgery but if has not been worked up by a neurosurgeon, I wouldn't get ahead of myself. As a person who has had successful major back surgery (L1-L5 fusion, I would not recommend rushing into anything if the only symptom is a sore back.

RedMare
Greenie

Postby RedMare » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Get all the facts before making any decisions. I refused having the procedure and don't regret it. My pain is daily, but tolerable.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm

8 years ago I had a burst compression fracture of L1, fairly severe, was in hospital 4 days then was in full brace/bed rest for 4 months. L1 is as Dragonfly says, now a triangle ;) Neurosurgeon was blessedly conservative, he told my husband "I am a surgeon, it is my job to cut, it is also the last resort."

He did tell me at my first post wreck check up that any more compression and he'd have to go in. IOWs stop doing what you're doing and REST. So I did.
Kyphoplasty was never mentioned FWIW.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:19 pm

For more info, you might want to look at this website, hosted by the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA):

http://www.radiologyinfo.org/en/info.cfm?pg=vertebro

Idofly
Greenie

Postby Idofly » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Research the procedure thoroughly, research any doc's involved and get a 2nd opinion. And always ask the doc's if that would be the procedure they would have or want their spouse/kid to have if the condition were exactly the same. If they waffle...be wary.

A family member had one of these go wrong and has not spoken to me in about 4 years because I voiced my strong opinion that they should do more research and get a 2nd opinion instead of being in such a darn hurry to get a "quicker" fix. He ended up with leaking cement, more pain, an infection, and ultimately more surgery.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:30 pm

A very wise person once told me that all back surgery (excluding something say, from an accident) is elective.

You may, some day, to elect to have the surgery. It depends on the procedure, your circumstances, your personal tolerance for whatever pain you are in.

There are some very good suggestions and recommendations. For non-emergent back surgery, always get a second opinion. Talk to people. Evaluate your own personal pain level and tolerance *and* quality of life. Some day, it just might be the right thing to do. Only you know if and when that is.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:36 pm

Sounds very much like an incidental finding...who knows how long it has been like that. Everyone has had good info.
Since he didn't even know he had it, I would tread the line of learning every thing you can, get multiple opinions and proceed conservatively. Perhaps he needs a bone density test also. Men can have osteoporosis (might help shed some light on whether this is an isolated thing or may repeat up or down the line (spine).

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:10 am

Kyphoplasty has been around for awhile now, but there is the general procedure and then specific tools/brands of cement. Kyphon is the leading brand (or was when I was working in the space).

The exact procedure and who does it will greatly impact your experience. Also, I seem to recall that it was most common for people who have multiple fractures (elderly or severe trauma - very serious stuff).

In other words - I would be very, very careful and would not rush into the procedure.

KathyS
Greenie

Postby KathyS » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the info. It was the hospital doctor that was reviewing the CT scan and found the fracture that mentioned Kyphoplasty. He had a neuro consult before they would let him leave the hospital last Thurs. They gave him a brace to wear and said no work for the time being. If he is out of bed, he needs to have the brace on.

Today was the 2nd neuro appt. He had an xray done Tues night, and they said nothing had changed which is good. She said they wouldn't consider kyphoplasty unless the pain worsened dramatically or another fracture occurred. The neurologist at this facility is supposed to be one of the best in the area. They said he could go back to work next week with restrictions of no lifting over 8 pounds. Sadly his boss turned him down. He is an RN so the lifting restrictions make his job pretty much impossible. Ugh....he will be off for at least the next 3 weeks. Has another neuro appt on the 18th.

Thanks!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”