Update on my #warhorse - Tuddy the Canadian

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Update on my #warhorse - Tuddy the Canadian

Postby Tuddy » Mon May 15, 2017 8:04 pm

You may remember my adventure with my gelding, Tuddy, last summer which resulted in me throwing in the towel with him, and questioning my journey with my horses.

It has been 9 months since I was thrown from him and I have done a lot of soul searching. Firstly, he came home from the facility and negativity that I had subjected him too. Secondly, we walked away from everything and anything work wise. We spent the winter getting to know each other again and forgiving each other for the mistakes that we made. And I put him in front of a round bale and told him to fill his guts and put some weight back on. A 15.2hh Canadian will weigh 1400 pounds and look fit... Let's just say he was far from that... :(

I had his body worker go over him on Saturday. She was amazed at how well he was doing at home. She said that Tuddy looked better physically, and he felt better energy wise. We sat and had quite the chat about my experience with him last year and how I had come close to absolutely failing him. Living in anxiety at the place he was at, always knowing that it wasn't his home, and having to behave a certain way and not have anyone take his character and personality into consideration was killing him. And me. There was a lot more going on behind the scenes at the place he was at than I knew about, which I found out later. Let's just say I will always question where the dent in his face came from. Nuff said. :cry:

I have yet to get back on this horse. My body worker asked me if I wanted to hop on when she was out, and I said yep, but we got as far as just laying over him. The flashback of getting flung was a little too much for me so that is as far as we went.

Just a couple pictures from the other day. We are getting there. It will happen.

Thanks for letting me share..

There - I officially sat on him, lol!

20170428_151201.jpg
20170428_151201.jpg (125.48 KiB) Viewed 11914 times

Looking at something in the yard...

20170512_152446.jpg
20170512_152446.jpg (158.15 KiB) Viewed 11914 times

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Re: Update on my #warhorse - Tuddy the Canadian

Postby Saddlebum » Wed May 17, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh please, post more pics. He looks beautiful!!! Sorry that you have had rough times together but the future looks bright for you both! Thanks for sharing.

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Wed May 17, 2017 7:12 pm

The feeling of having failed them is awful. Replace it with the feeling that you are doing everything right by him now. I'm looking forward to great updates. :D

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 17, 2017 10:10 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed May 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Sometimes you need to start over. This is a great update.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Thu May 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Saddlebum wrote:Oh please, post more pics. He looks beautiful!!! Sorry that you have had rough times together but the future looks bright for you both! Thanks for sharing.

Be careful what you wish for! Lol! I have more on his thread in the Training forum, but here a couple more for you. He is my #hearthorse that is for sure. Thanks for the kind words!

Tuddy 1.png
Tuddy 1.png (151.76 KiB) Viewed 11803 times

Tuddy 2.png
Tuddy 2.png (157.62 KiB) Viewed 11803 times

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Fri May 19, 2017 1:40 am

WOW! Thank You! Thank You! hehehe, he is just gorgeous!

I love his big feet, that long arched neck and, I'm going to say this knowing some will of course, disagree...love that his mane falls on the left. I love bays!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

Saddlebum wrote:WOW! Thank You! Thank You! hehehe, he is just gorgeous!

I love his big feet, that long arched neck and, I'm going to say this knowing some will of course, disagree...love that his mane falls on the left. I love bays!

Interesting observation, and now I'm going to have to go out and see how many of mine have manes that fall (mostly) on the left. I know Sting's does, and the new QH's mane (what little there is) falls on the left, but Sting only has cuspids on the right side of his mouth too, and I noticed yesterday when he was walking toward me that his barrel bulges more on his right side than his left. So now I need to add "mane side" to the things I want to look at when I'm looking at symmetry in horses. :-)

Tuddy is one handsome boy, and I'm betting that he's very happy to be at home again where he feels safer. Safety is just such a huge issue for horses.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 pm

I have a friend who trains and she says, jokingly, a horse is NOT a warmblood unless the mane falls on the right.

My first horses' mane fell on the left and she being a big morgan and me being 9 yo, I used her thick mane to help me into the saddle. I still yearn for a duplicate of her.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri May 19, 2017 1:46 pm

Saddlebum wrote:...love that his mane falls on the left. I love bays!

Lol! So, what does it say about a horse when they have a mane that falls on both sides, because Tuddy's does... he has a huge double mane. You can see it falls to both sides here. Yeah, I am pretty partial to color. I have 3 Canadians, each a different color. I have had people tell me that Tuddy isn't a bay, but a dun, as he has a very prominent dorsal stripe.

IMAG9337.jpg
IMAG9337.jpg (222.53 KiB) Viewed 11761 times

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri May 19, 2017 2:03 pm

You can see here the mane falling to his right side. Now I am going to be google-ing what all this means! Lol! I did the face/body whorl stuff and he is supposed to be "average". I find that kind of information pretty neat, and most of the time, pretty accurate. I thought the old wives tale was what ever side the mane lays on is the side that was to the outside while in the womb. I wonder if this guy moved around a lot? :?:

20170508_170150.jpg
20170508_170150.jpg (158.84 KiB) Viewed 11758 times

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Fri May 19, 2017 3:42 pm

my farrier would say he was well balanced with a mane that falls to both sides like that :). Dorsal or no dorsal, he's a bay to me. I want one just like him only 16.2hh and a mare please.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

Saddlebum wrote:my farrier would say he was well balanced with a mane that falls to both sides like that :). Dorsal or no dorsal, he's a bay to me. I want one just like him only 16.2hh and a mare please.

Well then - if you wanted to wait a few years and mold her the way you like.... 8-)

https://canadianhorselink.wordpress.com ... ng-quebec/

Everyone thinks Tuddy is over 16HH, but he is barely 15.3, his presence makes up for it though.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun May 21, 2017 1:53 am

That photo of you in the orange shirt, standing beside him, is the best....you both have the kick a$$ and take names energy coming off of you, like a powerful team.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”