My Perseverence is Paying Off

TeresaA
Herd Member

My Perseverence is Paying Off

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 16, 2017 12:48 am

Two years ago I bought a young Andalusian mare. She quickly showed herself to be reactive and not very trusting. I worked with her and made some progress but when we started again last spring she was becoming dangerous to ride. I was seriously considering selling her because riding her was not fun but there was something about her that kept pulling at me.

I hired a local western trainer who is very very good with young and 'problem' horses. It was a long road with him working with her and me. I had to check my ego at the gate and change my approach to her. Further digging revealed that she had a very poor start and never learned to trust that person on her back could be trusted. I spent a small fortune (not upset about that at all but I had to cash in some savings and cancel most of my plans). When we were done with the trainer I found a very good and knowledgable dressage trainer who travelled to my place and helped us.

I learned a whole new way to ride and how to find the balance between not avoiding something that was bothering her but not confronting her and picking a fight either. It was hard and some days I was in despair that it would ever work.

Last weekend I took her to our first show ever. The goal was to start to gain experience miles together so that we could further develop. She rocked the whole thing. She was stellar in the warm up ring. She was quite spooky in our first test but got better for the second. The next day she was even better and it was clear that she has learned to trust me. I would never have gotten even into the ring last year with her. Our scores went from 51 -55- 66- 70. our scores on the movements ranged from 2 to 8.

I am so happy with this girl even when some days she drives me nutty. She sweet and imperious, steady and reactive and basically a dramatic spanish mare. Here's a photo taken from the show.

mld02004
Herd Member

Re: My Perseverence is Paying Off

Postby mld02004 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:01 am

Good for you! I remember when you got her. It must be very satisfying to make that progress.

I leased an andaulusian/QH and that horse was HOT and your story reminded me of her. I could only get so far with her because she was so reactive in the arena. Smart as a whip. When she was good, she was great. Also not the kind of horse you could ride occasionally--and for whatever reason the changing seasons always set her off. Like your horse, she really needed a tactful rider that could keep her challenged enough to not be bored but not over face her. Even just cantering in the arena was a huge deal. I think if I stuck with it and paid for good help with training as you did I probably would have been successful.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 16, 2017 2:52 am

I love that you persevered, and did it wisely, with the right kind of help. I love that your perseverance has paid off, and you feel comfortable enough to take her out into an unusual venue. Congratulations on your progress.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue May 16, 2017 3:15 am

Thanks for sharing. Your mare is beautiful; I remember when you got her too.

I'm in a similar situation with my mare Pickle right now - she had a scary accident early in her days under saddle, and is now with a good western trainer who is re-starting her from scratch. I am not sure what I'm going to do yet, but yeah, the expense of months and months of training is definitely a factor.

Well done with the lengths you've gone to to get the right help and turn your mare around. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue May 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Chisamba wrote:I love that you persevered, and did it wisely, with the right kind of help. I love that your perseverance has paid off, and you feel comfortable enough to take her out into an unusual venue. Congratulations on your progress.

Well said Chisamba. TeresaA - Congratulations on your "New" riding partner! I agree that is some difficult training situations the challenges are about overcoming mental obstacles and negative experiences. Enjoy your Drama Queen. :)

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue May 16, 2017 12:55 pm

TeresaA, your commitment is impressive and your mare is a lucky girl. Great to read your story and see your wonderful progress.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue May 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi TeresaA - Yes, I too remember when got her, as I got my Andy mare at the same time.

Your picture is beautiful - so glad you have not given up on her.
My Andy is also spooky at noises in the ring, reactive and super quick under saddle. She has scared the crap out of me many times. Even on the ground she scares me, as she loves to rear up. My girl is not untrusting - she just lacks confidence. I can see it in her look, that she's unsure of what she's supposed to do.

I have had people tell me to give up - this should be fun. But, like you I am not giving up. She has a huge heart and I think with the right trainer and time, she will be fine.

She's laid up with a major injury and I'm praying we too can ride together again.

Keep up the great work with her..it is paying off....

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue May 16, 2017 2:43 pm

What a wonderful story. I've always learned the most from the difficult ones, they're special that way. (Not quite sure which emoticon to use here). . . . . :D

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue May 16, 2017 4:06 pm

TeresaA, great news. I am so happy that you are finding your way with this lovely mare. Congratulations! :D

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 16, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you everyone. And I'm sorry for the really large picture.

It has been a journey for sure and it's not over. I was fully prepared to sell her if I couldn't make it work. She requires a lot of mental attention at times and sometimes a 'get over yourself' attitude and sometimes a bit of coddling. It's been interesting to figure out when whe needs what and I don't always get it right. BUT my western trainer set in a really good 'WHOA' that I continue to reinforce and it has saved us a few times.

Hayburner- I'm sorry that you are having troubles. I remember when you got her (and that she was pregnant).

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed May 17, 2017 12:57 am

Congratulations and well done!

They can be super sensitive horses to ride and some require a whole new skill set from their riders. The hard work you've put in will pay off heaps as you have her trust and get a really good partnership going.

Mine aren't so spooky as I try to get them used to all sorts of things from a very young age, so that by the time I'm ready to ride them they are mostly dead quiet and very laid back individuals that cope with most things. Take the time to do the groundwork and handling and this will really help your partnership.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed May 17, 2017 4:51 am

Yeah for perseverance. she is a lovely mare.

We should start a club...I certainly have BTDT with my 1/2 Andalusian mare. They are soooo sensitive and quick. My mare's early years were rife with tension and spookiness. It was not fun to ride in the least. I did finally determine a physical issue that was contributing to a lot of that behavior. She has a very fleshy mouth and was getting pinched badly on the inside of her cheeks. OK. Found the source and it only took another year plus to find a bit she was remotely comfortable in. Oh...and she doesn't like birds :roll: .

It is a long investment. I was not fearful of her but would get angry so easily when she was spooky and distracted and for sure, that helps nothing. My anger at her at times, certainly slowed our progress. She wasn't that way every ride but it only takes one episode of me losing my temper and well, two steps back. I have been working via the internet with Karen Rohlf's programs and have made great progress in myself. Now I can laugh off the occassional silliness. Yes, I still have to be ultra present when I ride. You don't take time off when you are on top for sure. Totally worth the effort though :mrgreen:

I am so glad you found the right help. Thanks for the update.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:34 am

Baroque wrote:
Mine aren't so spooky as I try to get them used to all sorts of things from a very young age, so that by the time I'm ready to ride them they are mostly dead quiet and very laid back individuals that cope with most things. Take the time to do the groundwork and handling and this will really help your partnership.

And here I thought that they tended to be braver than other horses, because they were bred as war horses and used in bull fighting?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Wed May 17, 2017 10:00 am

kande50 wrote:
Baroque wrote:

And here I thought that they tended to be braver than other horses, because they were bred as war horses and used in bull fighting?

Yes they were bred for that and like all horses they vary. They are intelligent and sensitive and need careful handling. My gelding was very brave and bold and not phased by too much most of the time. My mare's line is known for it's sensitivity. The reactivity I believe was from not being exposed and handled a lot when young and then her initial training was not what she needed (I'll leave it at that).

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 pm

TeresaA - My mares reactivity could be the same as yours - not being exposed and handled a lot. She wasn't broke until 5 and during her breaking-in, she was pregnant and super easy for the trainer to work with. Once she had the foal, the real quick and sensitive mare came out.

I will say that she is certainly very much a people horse and loves attention and grooming. She can be so loving and kind hearted. That's why I won't give up, yet....LOL

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Excellent update! Good for you!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat May 20, 2017 12:20 am

I'm so happy for you!

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat May 20, 2017 3:06 am

This is a heartwarming update. Thanks for sharing. My Morgan mare has proven to be a quirky mix of overachieving, worrywart, and sensitive (requiring a high level of finesse and tact to ride), along with a bombproof trail horse. I've recently discovered that her true gift is trails--she's a rockstar, who'd have thought?

I've decided it's not things of nature she's bugged by, she just doesn't trust people. I wonder about what happened when she was first started, given how long it's taken me to unpack her baggage and start to gain her trust. I figure I will be a much better rider and horsewoman at the end of this journey.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun May 21, 2017 10:22 pm

kande50 wrote:
Baroque wrote:

I don't know if there's a correlation but I've had had more than one cutting horse trainer tell me that the best cutting horses can be spooky and a little fearful, they never take their eyes off the cow.

My personal experience with Iberian horses is that they are not terribly brave and do not have great natural canters. I think its majikal marketing ;) f I were going to make a generalization I would say that the Thorougbred wins on both those counts (bravery and canter) hands down but I grew up on TBs and they will always be my first love.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Quelah wrote:[My personal experience with Iberian horses is that they are not terribly brave and do not have great natural canters. I think its majikal marketing ;) f I were going to make a generalization I would say that the Thorougbred wins on both those counts (bravery and canter) hands down but I grew up on TBs and they will always be my first love.

It would be hard for me to pick a breed, or even a horse, because I think my judgement might be clouded by my own reactions to the level of reactivity of any of my horses.

I remember my TB/QH mare as being hot, but brave (not spooky), but then when I think about it she was probably just as spooky as the horses I have now, but I was much younger so didn't care how much she shied or jumped around. In fact, the more I think about it, she dumped me, or came close to dumping me many times because I put her into situations in which she leaped around enough to boost me right up out of the saddle.

I also wonder if perhaps the bullfighting breeds get their reps for bravery because they use so many stallions, as my currently wimpy gelding was not wimpy at all when he was still a stallion?

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 23, 2017 12:55 am

Fatcat wrote:This is a heartwarming update. Thanks for sharing. My Morgan mare has proven to be a quirky mix of overachieving, worrywart, and sensitive (requiring a high level of finesse and tact to ride), along with a bombproof trail horse. I've recently discovered that her true gift is trails--she's a rockstar, who'd have thought?

I've decided it's not things of nature she's bugged by, she just doesn't trust people. I wonder about what happened when she was first started, given how long it's taken me to unpack her baggage and start to gain her trust. I figure I will be a much better rider and horsewoman at the end of this journey.

'thank you!
And yes, you will be a better horsewoman at the end of this. Trust me in this. :)

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue May 23, 2017 1:22 am

I'm so happy for you! I remember when you got your beautiful grey girl, but don't recall having difficulty with her ( i haven't been on the board very much lately). Wonderful that you were able to work through problems and get to the other side. :D

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue May 23, 2017 2:26 pm

TeresaA - Not sure I'll be a better horsewoman - but I have learned to be PATIENT! NO getting upset or mad at her when she acts stupid. With this mare it would only make matters worse....

Boudicea
Novice

Postby Boudicea » Tue May 23, 2017 5:50 pm

I actually think this is a mare vs gelding/ stallion thing. For better or worse the spanish and Portuguese bred the Iberian mare for breeding and the stallion for riding. Almost without exception I have found the lusitano mares to be so smart it makes for a difficult ride and requires a very sensitive and tactful rider. Re boys IME are more forgiving and more wanting to work with you.

But yes they can be hot. They are hot horses which makes them great for bullfighting and cattle work. You don't want to be on a laid back horse when you're in front of a bull i imagine. I think that hotness easily gets turned into spookieness when not channeled.

But I totally disagree about the canter. They take longer to develop the balance and strength, yes, but they can have super canter. My lusitano could only gallop when I got him as a 4 year old. Now his canter is his best gait and is quite nice. It did take a while to develop and someone who knew what they were doing (not me).

Good work for the OP. I know someone else with a lusitano mare who has gone through the same thing and come out the other side.

Boudicea
Novice

Postby Boudicea » Tue May 23, 2017 5:59 pm

I also think the bravery thing is a combo of bloodlines and handling. It's been my experience that you have to prove yourself to them but once you do and you have their trust they will do anything for you. At least that is how it was with mine.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Tue May 23, 2017 6:58 pm

Boudicea wrote:I actually think this is a mare vs gelding/ stallion thing. For better or worse the spanish and Portuguese bred the Iberian mare for breeding and the stallion for riding. Almost without exception I have found the lusitano mares to be so smart it makes for a difficult ride and requires a very sensitive and tactful rider. Re boys IME are more forgiving and more wanting to work with you.

But yes they can be hot. They are hot horses which makes them great for bullfighting and cattle work. You don't want to be on a laid back horse when you're in front of a bull i imagine. I think that hotness easily gets turned into spookieness when not channeled.

But I totally disagree about the canter. They take longer to develop the balance and strength, yes, but they can have super canter. My lusitano could only gallop when I got him as a 4 year old. Now his canter is his best gait and is quite nice. It did take a while to develop and someone who knew what they were doing (not me).

Good work for the OP. I know someone else with a lusitano mare who has gone through the same thing and come out the other side.

Yes- this makes sense to me! She is hot and my understanding is that her sire, Gaucho III was quite hot. I just got back from clinic that I attended last October and everyone was amazed at the change in her.

I also LOVe her canter. It's so lovely and flowing but at first was very tight and 'up and down'.

Backyarder3
Novice

Postby Backyarder3 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:24 pm

You've put a lot of great work into this mare! I'm so glad that this is starting out to be a good year....it can only get better!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed May 24, 2017 3:31 pm

Teresa! - Thanks for the reminder that - our mares are out of the same Sire - Gaucho III . My mares Sire is a son of his.

I didn't realize he was "hot"...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed May 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Hayburner, do you have any news on your mare's health situation? Thinking of you.

Baroque
Herd Member

Postby Baroque » Wed May 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Boudicea wrote:I actually think this is a mare vs gelding/ stallion thing. For better or worse the spanish and Portuguese bred the Iberian mare for breeding and the stallion for riding. Almost without exception I have found the lusitano mares to be so smart it makes for a difficult ride and requires a very sensitive and tactful rider. Re boys IME are more forgiving and more wanting to work with you.

Totally agree with you about the mares vs geldings vs stallions. The mares are feisty and great mothers, they are generally hotter and sharper to ride than the geldings and stallions in my experience. They need to be sharp to look after those foals.

Lusitanos are generally hotter and sharper again and most will not put up with things that our laid back Spanish chaps will happily tolerate, they seem to need a lot more tact and very light aids from the rider.

And I also disagree about the canter, the PRE and partbred canter is divine and while some do take more time to get strength and balance to be ready for canter, once the canter is established it is like sitting on a cloud. All that power at your fingertips is quite mindblowing!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”