What do you do, when you have nothing to do?

silk
500 post plus club

What do you do, when you have nothing to do?

Postby silk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:21 pm

I am off work due to a (mild?) concussion following a hoof to the face. What do people do when they don't have day jobs and aren't allowed to do anything around their horses?

I'm not supposed to ride/horse/trim/anything for another 3-5 weeks. They only specified 24 hours not driving after the general anasthetic to stitch up my face, but in relation to the concussion, I can drive "if I feel I could stop in an emergency" (I'm questioning the validity of asking someone with a head injury to assess their own reactions... I mean, I feel OK, but what if I'm not?). I'll probably not drive until next week when I am supposed to start back at work, on limited hours.
I'm supposed to limit screen time (tv/laptop/phone) which has not really been happening as I have no other time-fillers...

So... What do I do to stop being bored out of my tree?

stella
Novice

Re: What do you do, when you have nothing to do?

Postby stella » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Knit?

When I was on movement restriction for 4 weeks I watched a helluva lot of ID TV.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:33 pm

Yep, knit... acres and acres of knitting, I did, when I was on layup with my leg.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:38 pm

I read. Big reader from early on here.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Concussion? You're supposed to be resting your brain. I know it's awful. It's boring. It makes you want to rip your hair out. But you have to do it.

Artemis
Greenie

Postby Artemis » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:58 pm

I like to draw, paint, do crosswords, Sudoku, read, surf the web, watch movies.
There are games on FaceBook to play.

Like every one said - rest is the main thing for now. Hope u are better soon!

gypsy still flies
Greenie

Postby gypsy still flies » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:02 pm

What about audio books? They might help you pass the time and you wouldn't be staring at book pages.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:05 pm

Spin yarn. Read. Watch TV

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:28 pm

goldhorse wrote:Concussion? You're supposed to be resting your brain. I know it's awful. It's boring. It makes you want to rip your hair out. But you have to do it.

This my dear. Really. And I am so glad it's not worse.

I have a lot of down time due to health stuff. I have found the meditation tapes by Bodhipaksa really terrific. I think they help with healing, as well and dissolve that cranky feeling from inactivity. I have mine on my Kindle.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:32 pm

I'm just trying to keep myself occupied enough that I don't go out and deal with horses when I am not supposed to... I hate being idle, I'm normally doing 3 things at once!

I don't have the patience for knitting when I'm at full capacity - it drives me wild!

No books. BF was the avid book buyer and, well, he's now my ex so all the books are gone (I'd read all the ones I wanted to anyway). I live about 3 kms from the nearest bus so it isn't easy to get to town to a library, though mum has an appt I will probably tag along for (lawyer/divorce shit) on Friday so I could get her to take me past the library then.

Partly I'd like "something" to do so I don't dwell on the whole breakup thing. Man, when you're concussed, medicated and hospitalised, your brain has free rein over all the shitty stuff.

stella
Novice

Postby stella » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Do you have indoor pets? Can you teach your cats agility or something?

Amazon delivers books, last I heard.....

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:48 pm

Read i get lost in a book, snuggle with the doggies and nap

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 pm

Reading would have been my answer too because that is my brain rest. Reading calms me more than anything else does. If I had nothing else to do, I'd worry myself to death over all the things not getting done. How do you rest your brain when it is on overdrive anyway. Can you do Kindle? Not quite the same type of screen as a laptop etc.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:53 pm

stella wrote:Do you have indoor pets? Can you teach your cats agility or something?

Amazon delivers books, last I heard.....

By the time they get here I'll be back at work ;)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:55 pm

angela9823 wrote:Reading would have been my answer too because that is my brain rest. Reading calms me more than anything else does. If I had nothing else to do, I'd worry myself to death over all the things not getting done. How do you rest your brain when it is on overdrive anyway. Can you do Kindle? Not quite the same type of screen as a laptop etc.

I'm not sure if I can Kindle, but the laptop screen doesn't seem to bother me so I assume it would be fine. Need to find some books TO read on it though. The doctors were a bit vague about how much I could do. I'm liable to overdo things. My horses are itching to be groomed (they're still shedding) but I've had to settle to taking photos from afar or cuddles over the fence.

Josette

Postby Josette » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:59 pm

www.bookbub.com

Free books to read online.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:25 am

Or catch up on music. I know I'm about 20 years out of date with who are the new artists doing new work. If I wasn't supposed to be having screen time (which makes me wonder how much reading I should be doing as well), I'd catch up on music listening. Music is wonderful stuff and I almost NEVER listen (it's NPR in the car.)

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:35 am

I really really really advocate that you do things that don't require much focus, concentration, problem solving, visual stimulation, and some other stuff that I can't remember. When kids have a concussion, they're now told to stay in a dark room for a week or two with no tv, computer, or video games. Boring as all hell. But speaking from experience, I wished I had followed that advice. So can you do some simple tasks like cleaning out your closet, gardening, sorting through old photographs? Maybe some exercise like long walks or weight lifting? Things that don't take a lot of concentration. If a doctor told you that you couldn't walk on your broken ankle for a month, you'd follow that advice. Please do the same for your brain.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:17 am

Read, cook, sleep, paint a room, garden

Feder
Greenie

Postby Feder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:42 am

I second the meditation and music. I have lots more free time then normal (no brain injury though). I have had to learn how to address some anxiety over not having 12 hours a day of work. Meditation and music have been great. Oh and singing! I learned at 38 that I love to sing when no one is listening.

Take it easy and heal up.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:50 am

My normal go-to would be cooking, but a friend yesterday described nearly burning the house down (when she had a concussion) as she put a pot on the stove and walked away, completely forgetting about it until she smelled the smoke from the burning contents of the pot. Plus, with only me and mum in the house now (my ex moved out the day he informed me we should go our separate ways as "we want different things"... news to me...), and me feeling like I've not expended any energy and thus aren't hungry.... yeah. Cooking is not on my agenda.

If it weren't nearly raining I'd go get some Vit D, sitting on the grass outside...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:41 am

OK, go look up BBC Radio 4 extra online. Listen to British radio--excellent plays, series, comedies, something for everyone, free. I love a good mystery, myself--classics like Lord Peter Whimsey, amongst may others.

I hope the ex gets a bad case of hives.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:55 am

Mountaineer--brilliant. Why didn't I think of that? BBC has gotten me through a lot of rough times.

Silk--the whole situation sucks. Totally. After a concussion my emotions are very very tippy. Having a real reason for tippy emotions at the same time is right up there with rotten luck.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 am

You say it's raining by you so my idea is out. I walk........and walk and walk and walk. I love to enjoy the nature that I come across and the peacefulness of it. Plus, I'm getting some exercise and fresh air. Maybe you can get out tomorrow?

Like you, I'd be climbing the walls if I had to stay inside.

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:01 am

I have plenty of paper books if you want me to drop some around?

But I hear you and have been where you are. It's seriously boring, as even reading an sometimes tax you too much!

I can always come around pick you up and take you for an outing? Hamilton gardens? The zoo? Anywhere you feel like going? Day trip to Raglan?

Otherwise gardening? Spraying weeds in the paddock? Cleaning tack? Cooking?

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 am

Moutaineer wrote:OK, go look up BBC Radio 4 extra online. Listen to British radio--excellent plays, series, comedies, something for everyone, free. I love a good mystery, myself--classics like Lord Peter Whimsey, amongst may others.

I hope the ex gets a bad case of hives.

I was going to suggest exactly the same. Radio 4 has a consistently good output throughout the day and everything is on I player. Check out the moral maze and my favorite, the news quiz.

NPR has the TED podcasts available and also This American Life. I've just listened to six Ted talks in a row driving yesterday and they were all very entertaining and thought provoking easpecially the one on privacy. Omg facial recognition software!!!!

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 am

Oh Silk, i'm sorry you're having such a hard time. I have had numerous concusssions without changing my habits, and the resultant brain fog and short term memory issues just suck.
Listening to books on tape can be soothing, though I know how hard it is to switch to semi hibernate mode when all you want to do is be busy and productive.
Please be gentle with your self while you heal.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:32 pm

well, since reading did not do it, sketching? i love doodling and sketching all you need is a pencil and paper, sorting photos, although in this mood it might be tearing the ex out of all the old ones, listening to music and napping are good ones too!

Hope you feel better soone

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:24 pm

Coloring books? I have found it very relaxing. (Not the children's' coloring books)

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:31 pm

When I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, I was looking forward to having to do nothing. Mostly because I am ALWAYS doing something and to be forced to take it easy I thought would be a blessing. Well, after a week, I was BORED out of my mind.

This was just posted on facebook:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/251582027/ ... e_active_1

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:31 pm

coursera.com

on-line college lecture series

free

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Hoof'n it wrote:I have plenty of paper books if you want me to drop some around?

But I hear you and have been where you are. It's seriously boring, as even reading an sometimes tax you too much!

I can always come around pick you up and take you for an outing? Hamilton gardens? The zoo? Anywhere you feel like going? Day trip to Raglan?

Otherwise gardening? Spraying weeds in the paddock? Cleaning tack? Cooking?

Thanks so much! If you're passing, I could definitely use some books, but no stress if you're not. Tomorrow I will probably end up going with friend to scope out Claudelands; she is competing this weekend with her Gypsy Cob (who was Champ last year with his previous owner/breeder - so no pressure!!!). Depending how I feel I may go with her on Saturday to take photos (no, I will not do anything horse-related!).

My problem with farm jobs is 1) I don't want to overdo anything 2) there is no one around, if I get into any bother. I could clean the house..... :|
I'm trying not to think up things to do that require me to drive or go alone. Everyone I know is working - so inconvenient of them :lol:

onetrickpony
Novice

Postby onetrickpony » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:02 pm

Ryeissa wrote:Coloring books? I have found it very relaxing. (Not the children's' coloring books)

Great idea. They're all the rage now and said to be meditative. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/col ... 4ba5a6724f

NancyP
Novice

Postby NancyP » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:06 am

onetrickpony wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:Coloring books? I have found it very relaxing. (Not the children's' coloring books)

Great idea. They're all the rage now and said to be meditative. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/col ... 4ba5a6724f

Yes!
I love to colour!
It's such a wonderful waste of time

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:24 am

Hoof'n dropped me off a few books :D Then my rabbit dragged in a 2.5kg (5.5 pound) rabbit... literally dragged, it was too large for him to carry without it touching the ground, and he is a tall cat. Apparently, it was lunch time! Good cat! It was very clearly pregnant too, so there goes a whole generation of the buggers. I'll have to go out and bury it so he doesn't eat it under my bed :roll:

Last night I put some meat on to marinate and cooked it while eating lunch. I forced myself not to leave the kitchen during the process in case I didn't come back :lol:

Cat is now sleeping next to me looking like he is full, though I know for a fact he didn't eat anything. Oh well, maybe he'll be hungry enough to catch another rabbit later :lol:

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”