Log House

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Log House

Postby Sunshine2Me » Sat May 27, 2017 2:06 am

Anyone live in a log home? I looked at one tonight and I kinda liked it but no nothing about the maintenance and upkeep. I live in central Illinois so our winters are COLD! Are they adequately warm?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Log House

Postby Moutaineer » Sat May 27, 2017 5:18 am

Yes, I live in a log house. Mine is square logs with wide chinking. I love my house, it has soul, but it is also a bit drafty. It has settled over the years and the windows dont fit so great, so we are working our way through replacing them, which has made a big difference. However, we are never going to die of carbon monoxide poisoning... the logs themselves have very adequate insulation abilities.

Actual upkeep of the logs depends on the house. I know some need staining regularly, but mine are naturally weathered.

I live at 7k ft up.a mountain in Utah. Lots of my neighbors have log homes, as with most houses, some are better built than others. I wouldn't hesitate to have another one.

Hanging pictures and installing cabinetry can be tricky :)

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Mon May 29, 2017 1:08 am

My sister and BIL live in northern New Hampshire, and they have a log home. It is wonderful - warm in winter and cool in summer. They heat about 2,500 sq. ft. with a pellet stove that does a great job. Before the pellet stove, they heated with a propane fireplace. I wouldn't hesitate to get one!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon May 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Great insulation, HUGE maintenance issues though. If the logs are round, they collect dust. No matter what shape they are, they need to be sealed as regularly as wood sided houses need to be painted/stained.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue May 30, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the input. We saw the house on Friday evening, and while it was very cool, it needs a lot of work, and I don't think I'm ready to sign up for that.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”