June 29, the pre-purchase

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

June 29, the pre-purchase

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Everyone except me knew I was going to buy Ariel. The pre-purchase is set for June 29th. :D I'm sure she will come back as "serviceably sound." Should I have hock x-rays done?

demi

Re: June 29, the pre-purchase

Postby demi » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:14 pm

Congratulations! Lucky Ariel! and you.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Congrats and good luck with the PPE....
One thing I didn't do on my PPE was any ultrasounds - looking back I wish I had. I did a ton of x-rays which showed nothing. Due to a recent injury I had ultrasounds done on both fronts below the ankle. The injured leg showed a "possible prior suspensory injury". This possible injury could have been real and could be the source of her now spurs.

It never hurts to have a baseline for her future riding career. I'd get a few x-rays and whatever else the vets suggests.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 pm

That's great!! Not to be nosy but why is it a month away? When i decide to buy I can't get the PPE done quickly enough! :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:10 am

If I remember right, she is in her teens?

I'd probably do lots of x-rays, but that's just me. With my most recent PPE, we did front feet, knees, hocks and stifles. The feet in particular are nice to have as a baseline and to show the farrier if any tweaks of balance are needed. On an older horse, I might do front fetlocks as well to look for any ringbone type things. If her stifles are fine, you can probably skip that; I get it done on young horses to check for OCD lesions.

You have the advantage of knowing the horse well, and if she's reliably sound, there's probably no reason to go too crazy on imaging. Maybe think through what you'd do if there were findings on the radiographs that weren't correlated to a current issue; would you still want her? If yes, there's probably no reason to get them done. I get the major ones done because irregularities on a young horse can kill any later resale value, so I want to know about it up front.
Keep calm and canter on.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:26 am

You have the advantage of knowing this horse which means you can choose and select what you would like baseline information on. Since she is in her teens and I have a lot of history with senior horses I like to know what Maintanance issues might be necessary. Radiographs from my vet are "relatively" cheap so I'd like to know her arthritis status in the major joints and particularly the coffin joints. If she has demonstrated any symptoms or matches the profile I would have Cushings (around $200 the last time I did one) and Insulin Resistance (around $100) blood tests done. Maintanance for both of those are relatively easy, but the earlier started, if needed, the better. I'd also consider just the standard Blood tests for base line figures on her major organs. All of this could get pricey but it gives you a good profile. You could also wait and do some of the tests later, unless they will make a difference in your decision to purchase. Good Luck. I've never regretted purchasing any of my senior horses! (But don't ask about the yearling!).

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and well wishes. I'm going on vacation soon and don't want to,officially own Miss A. til I get back. She is 16 and I've ridden her since September. I will definitely get baseline blood work pulled, and hock X-rays. I've known my vet forever and will discuss with him. She's shown no signs of Cushings and has never been off. There will be arthritic changes simply because of her age.

I feel like I've owned her since September because I have been her guardian. It's now just a matter of writing THE CHECK!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:43 pm

Truthfully, at this stage I would not even do a PPE. You have had her for more than 6 months, you know if she is lame or not.
At this stage, if she was going lame she would be lame. Save the money and enjoy your time together.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:37 pm

I agree with redsoxluvr. If you are going to get X-rays, I'd get them on the front, just to make sure there is no ringbone starting. Hocks, they are maintainable.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:27 pm

I agree with Musical Comedy. Enjoy your vacation and your "new" horse!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:40 am

ditto!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:18 pm

Yay!
No strong opinion on PPE except that my initial reaction to your post was to wonder if I would even get one if I were in your situation, and knew the horse so well. My trainer friend and I once talked about a client of hers being in the fence about buying an 18 or 19 year old horse for dressage. My friend told me "I love the older guys...if they are still sound at that point, they are staying sound, short of avute injury." Sort of like they have proven their hardiness.
And again, yay!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:54 pm

I have bought a few horses that I leased first, did not PPE. Have only done so for horses I as meeting for the first time. Never bad to have a vet check though, even as a formality. Congrats & enjoy your trip!

VBOpie
Herd Member

Postby VBOpie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:53 pm

I'm on the side of not bothering with xrays, etc. As several vets have told me, they've seen horses with terrible x-rays stay sound forever and vice versa. You have the advantage of having a relationship with Miss A for several months. I know it's not pleasant worrying about ending up with an unrideable horse, but, as we all know, just because a horse is perfect today doesn't mean that will be the case tomorrow - and the same goes for us!

Congratulations, PaulaO - and Ariel! Happy Trails to both of you!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:48 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Is there anything that you could possibly discover on a PPE that would make you say you don't want her? If so, do PPE, otherwise, I agree with redsox et al.

You know her, you love her, if it was me, i'd skip the PPE and use the money (thousands, possibly) to invest in Adequan, legend and some massage and chiro.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:58 am

When I bought my horse, I had been riding him in lessons and on trail rides, for only about 3 months, so less time than you, but long enough to know he was sound and sane. I did not get a PPE because of that.
He was about 14 when I got him and I had 19 wonderful years with him, which included 18 years of riding him. He stayed sound his whole life barring a couple of minor times when he was a little off for a few days.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”