New Dishwasher?

Srhorselady
Herd Member

New Dishwasher?

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:46 am

I just came in from feeding the horses their night hay and found water on the kitchen floor. Not a huge amount, but not a dribble. It is definitely coming from the dish washer. Did I not close it tightly? Is it a seal? Is it worth calling a repairman for a 19 year old appliance? Anybody bought a new dishwasher recently? Sigh

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: New Dishwasher?

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:02 pm

I'm sorry I can't teleport my husband to you for dishwasher assessment. After many fixes over the years, we finally replaced our 16+ year old model (most of the fixes were electrical in nature). Now he has fewer "fixing opportunities" (what an engineer does for fun on the weekends)

This sounds like it could be as simple as a bad hose connection or a hose in need of replacement. Honestly, if you have a good brand and it works/cleans well, you will be better off getting it fixed for a few hundred dollars. I doubt that a new dishwasher will last 19 years!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:45 pm

If you do need one, I bought a new Kenmore three years ago. It's fabulous, has a great repair record, and you can probably pick them up pretty cheaply now. :|

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I'd take the loan of your DH in a heartbeat, Piedmont! Although I suspect something more like the door seal not electrical. There is some calcium buildup and we have very hard well water.

Unfortunately it hasn't been cleaning that well recently. I've been using the pot cleaning option for the last year. So it may just be time to bite the bullet. Thanks for the Kenmore recommendation TF. I've had good luck with them in the past.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:50 pm

If there's just two of you in the house, I highly recommend looking for a 2 drawer dishwasher. We absolutely love ours. You can fill a drawer in a day and run it, rather than waiting to fill up the whole darned thing. It's less of a chore to empty as well :)

Ours is a Kitchenaid, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend, but I do like the concept. Having said that, it's got to be 10 years old and the only real issue we've had is a split hose. (I bet I regret typing that out loud.)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

19 years is a pretty good life span. Be sure to check decibel levels when shopping

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:04 pm

I agree with Paula. Our new dishwasher is super quiet---very nice for running overnight.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:05 am

My Kenmore is both quiet, and has an option to just wash the top shelf. All kinds of washing options actually. Very low energy consumption.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 am

Ours died two years ago, at only 11yo. This house is eventually going to be a rental, and knowing how things randomly broke in previous rentals, I went with the cheapest Kenmore that met all of my requirements. It's light years ahead of the previous DW in noise level, cleaning efficiency, etc.

I've looked at the drawer dishwashers for the new house (same situation -- 2 person household). Fisher and Paykel are the only option right now, and for that price, I'd get a DW with the single rack wash option.

Check Consumer Reports.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:15 am

I would recommend a Kitchenaid Superba.

I love mine - it's so quiet - I have to check to make sure I turned it on!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:18 pm

When I was a kid we had a new Kitchenaid put in. Lasted 38 years. The second one lasted two.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Thanks for all the good advice. Currently I'm still researching. So far there is only a puddle that can be soaked up with a tea towel so situation isn't urgent. There is only me now so dishwasher is only used once or at most twice weekly. I considered a smaller unit as suggested, but I expect to sell this fairly large house within the new dishwasher's lifespan (I hope), so I think I'll go with a standard size.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:11 pm

I'm going to go against the drawer dishwasher recommendation. They have the highest failure rate of all dishwashers so while not all fail, the chances are high enough. I don't generally like to go buying expensive trouble.

I have three Bosh dishwashers and so far so good. Two have the third rack (utensil rack), one does not. I almost prefer the one without because for spoons that are dirty, I still have to put them on the lower rack in the designated utensil box, so the third rack doesn't actually get used much. But i have little kids and a husband who like to eat peanut butter with a spoon, perhaps the third rack is meant for a more civilized household. Otherwise, no complaints.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:48 pm

I always look at the Db (decibel) rating to make sure it is quiet. The good ones you can be in the same room and not hear them.

You might also bring in a plate and a bowl into the store and see how they work with the shelf arrangement of the washers you're looking at. I've had some "odd" shaped bowls (cereal size) that are deeper than many of the more popular cereal bowls in sets and often have a hard time fitting in as many plates and bowls as I'd like as the "spine" arrangement on the shelves just doesn't work well...

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:15 pm

Snork wrote: I don't generally like to go buying expensive trouble.

I know this is off the subject, but I couldn't resist. What about horses?

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Rockabilly wrote:
Snork wrote: I don't generally like to go buying expensive trouble.

I know this is off the subject, but I couldn't resist. What about horses?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:03 am

At my old house, when the cheapo Kenmore gave out, I bought an Asko. Scandanavian brand that I had never heard of before. Loved it. Easy to operate.
Just simple buttons for the cycles. White outside but stainless steel inside. Loved the utensil basket. Much more functional than the crappy in the door basket on the Fridigdare in this house. Price was mid-range. The Asko was in the other house about 4 years and no problems up to the time I sold the house.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”