Sharing your horse... Yey or ney?

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Sharing your horse... Yey or ney?

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:53 am

I have a really nice youngster (5) that I have bred and just got back from a month or so of schooling. She's a really lovely mare who just tries to please and so level headed.

Anyway with spring and all the farm work that comes along with it, along with a royally screwed ankle, I am only finding the time to get on her every few days.

I have a boarder on my property whose horse is currently laid up, and she's been looking for a lease horse to ride. She seems to be a lovely relaxed rider, with more jumping experience than dressage.

What would your thoughts be if you were in the same situation to say, "hey do you want to ride my mare a couple of times a week? until your guy is better? " No money changes hands, mare is still on my property and I still pay all the bills. I will give her a couple of rides to get used to the mare and the mare to get used to her before we set anything in stone...

I don't like leases or anything of this nature, but it seems that it may benefit her, me and the mare....

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Sharing your horse... Yey or ney?

Postby Chancellor » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:25 am

I did this with great success.

Feder
Greenie

Postby Feder » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:18 pm

I am the rider in this exact situation. My mare is retired, way early, from injury. Another boarder is hurt and has her horse in two day a week training. He's green but very willing and fun. I started riding once a week and it's now two to three days with owner asking often when I can ride next! Owner has standing days with trainer, most weeks she asks me to ride horse one day so I am training him the same way. It's a great way to do this, they are training him a little different (he's not a warm blood) and I am learning tons on him!

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:29 pm

If you are comfortable and approve of the riding level/ skills of this rider then it sounds like a win-win situation to me.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Sounds like a win-win-win situation for everyone, to me...

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm

I have been the rider in that situation, as well as the horse owner. It's worked out wonderfully.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:58 pm

Try it and see. Don't go into long-range plans/commitments. Start casually and see how it goes. But, yes, I have done this and it worked out great. (I've been both rider and owner at different times.)

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:06 pm

I've been on both ends of this, and it has always been a successful venture. Just make sure your expectations are clear — a few rides a week for miles v. training, etc.

Perilous
Greenie

Postby Perilous » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:18 pm

I would do it, sounds like she could use to be under saddle a little more then you can do.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:06 pm

I think in this situation it is a win-win. I was in a similar boat when I was pg and riding less, and a lovely rider at my barn had a horse on layup.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:24 pm

I wish I were near you. I would ride your horse. So yes, do it, let the boarder ride your mare.

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:12 am

Just try it and see. Sometimes it's a great solution. Sometimes it's a train wreck :)

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:37 am

I had someone who rode with me once a week for a couple of years. She was ultra nervous. Initially had her own horse (very retired) but eventually he died. She kept riding until she had her kid and has only been back twice since (he is nearly 3!) due to lack of time, and the rest.
It worked well. She learnt tons, she got on quite well with the horse, and it allowed me to ride my youngster, in company, with a like-minded person. She was doing me as much of a favour as I was doing her, even though she practically got a lesson every time she rode. Initially I felt I had to "touch up" the horse a LOT because she wasn't asking it to do much, but as time went on that changed (horse became more reliable and settled, she got better about asking for correct responses, etc).
She never paid a thing, nor did she help clean tack, hold for farrier/trimmer, or anything other than grooming before and after a ride. But I had company, someone to ride/groundwork with, someone I was 'teaching' (which helped me remember what I was supposed to be doing), someone to help if things went wrong, someone who is capable and confident around my horses and who can feed or check them if I am ever away, someone who could offer insight when things were going on with the other horse... It was a win-win in many ways! You do truly have to appreciate what the rider can do for the horse, as much as what you can do for the rider, and the rider has to appreciate what they're getting. There has to be communication, open-ness, and a willingness to work together, but it can totally be worth trying. And hey, if you try it, and it doesn't work, you haven't lost anything except a bit of time/effort.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:13 am

As someone who doesn't have a horse of my own I certainly appreciate those willing to share their horses. It's worth trying, if it works out then it's a win-win.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:59 pm

The plusses, horse will get exercise and experience and you know the rider and the horse is still in your care and monitoring.

Minuses, some of what the horse learns may be different from your method and skill set.

Generally it's a win win, i would also recommend a gradual immersion, poster av ride, see how it goes, progress from there.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:25 pm

I've been the rider in this situation for over 25 years. It works if you and the rider are in agreement. I've always taken lessons on the horse and am interested in the welfare of the horse so it has worked out fabulously, on many horses. But again, make sure you are happy with the rider. Sounds like you are planning to do that. Wish I had a horse that young to work with, most of the ones I ride are older.

Sue from Auckland
Greenie

Postby Sue from Auckland » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:36 pm

If all 3 of you are compatible (in some instances the human combination may be much more incompatible than the horse/rider combination ;) )then I say go with it. By keeping it informal, it's much easier to bring it to an end if things turn to custard.

DollarHorse
Greenie

Postby DollarHorse » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Yup, as long as expectations are clear, it can be fantastic. I was very lucky to be on the receiving end for years, getting rides, and now give back when I can.

SandTikiFire
Greenie

Postby SandTikiFire » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:46 pm

I am doing this with Tiki right now and it is working out well. Adult Amateur whose older dressage horse recently passed away - she LOVES the training aspect and is helping me get him soft and more connected. He is "hers" Mon-Thurs while I am too busy working and too tired to make the drive to the barn when I get home. it is TOTALLY win-win!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”