Barn dilemma

Snork
Herd Member

Barn dilemma

Postby Snork » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Barn drama, what else is new, right? I'm hoping maybe by writing this out, things will get more clear to me.

Just moved my horse to a new barn, that has a lot of things i really, really like.  For Chicago, it is almost magically close - just over 30 min from my house (compared to the hour or so for the alternatives).  The turnout is great, and the lady who runs it is very kind and really cares for horses.  I like her, like most people at the barn and my horse (and most horses in that barn) seem happy as can be.  The barn hours are a little restrictive (i wish i could ride on weekend evenings for example but barn closes at 7 in summer, 5:30 in winter) but I can work around it.  I don't like the mandatory old style every two months worming program (barn worms all horses, and worming is included in board) but, again, nothing is perfect, right?  When i moved in the BM stressed that this is not a competition barn and they don't encourage a lot of lessons, which was fine by me, i don't show and don't need or want in-house training anyway - the resident dressage trainer, although a really nice person, is not a good match for me and the other trainer is a h/j.  I figured I'd just trailer out to a trainer of choice every other week or so.  Casually mentioned it to the BM the other day and it turns out they do not allow horses to be taken off property on regular basis.  "Once or twice a year is ok, but not every month."  Any time a horse is taken off property, for any reason (lesson, show, trail ride, whatever), they make the horse go through full quarantine upon return, even if it has only been a few hours  - 5 days isolation paddock, then small separate paddock/small pasture/gradual return to the herd.  I suppose I should have asked before I moved in but I've never heard of such a policy so it was a a bit of surprise for me, particularly considering the line of trailers parked outside the barn (apparently unused?). BM claims the policy is in place to protect against strangles and EIA.

I like the barn, like the pastures, the care is great, horse seems happy and relaxed, it is super close and with a couple of exceptions, people are nice. Honestly, almost an ideal barn. I love the barn vibe there, it's just happy and relaxed and very nice. The multitude of extremely timid, scared riders which can be hard to ride with is a bit of an annoyance, but most don't actually ride, so half the time arena is empty anyway. So, really, just about ideal except I can't take my horse off property. Not that I take him all that often but I would like to take the horse for a lesson maybe once every two weeks.

Or I could move the horse to a barn that is at least 20 min further one way. Lovely barn, more of a competition style, nobody freaks out if a horse canters, care is good, I've boarded there before so I know the people and like them. Know the barn manager, she is a good egg. Preferred trainer might even be willing to come to me there, certainly no problem with trailering out. Lots of good inside and outside spaces to ride, obstacle course, just generally good place. A little more expensive but neither barn is cheap and the price difference is not prohibitive. My kids take lessons at this barn so I could add another ride that way. But ... 20 min further.

Would you stay? Would you go?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Barn dilemma

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:13 pm

five days of quarantine is not long enough to protect anyone against anything, least of all EIA. what you have is a situation where the owner wants to keep everything low level, co dependent.

Only you can answer your question to your satisfaction about staying or moving

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 pm

Agree with Chisamba.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:20 pm

I would move, as the policy does not make sense and I don't really enjoy being around timid, scared riders. But you have to focus on what makes you happy.

I moved this winter from a barn *5* minutes from home to a barn 35 minutes from home and about the same distance from work. I also gave up a covered arena. But I am happy and I ride just as much as I did before! I enjoy being in the company of active competition riders, even though I do not compete. And I am no longer annoyed and worried about my horse's care.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:30 pm

I don't understand the quarantine for EIA. Are they pulling a new coggins every time and waiting for that to come back? If not, what's the point? Horses can carry the disease without showing any clinical signs, so how would a 5 day quarantine make any difference?

Idk. Only you can say what you can live with, but I don't know that I could deal with that sort of micro-managing, which I'm guessing may get worse as you're there longer and find out more about the unspoken rules.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I'm afraid I would have to move. I am in control of my horse and if I want to take her somewhere, I want to take her. Mind you she hasn't been off the property where she is in 2 1/2 years but that is mostly because of me. I would love to be sound enough to take her to lessons and clinics. The "quarantine" is inadequate and makes no sense.

Good luck with your decision. That is a bit too much micromanaging for my peace of mind.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:24 pm

I wouldn't like those restrictions, close at 5:30? I'm lucky if I get there by 5:30! Quarantine? what? never heard of that unless a horse came from a different state. My farm hosts a lot of clinics, and is very careful, but as long as the horses have health cert. its ok.

This speaks of a weird control issue to me, so I would wonder what is next?

I don't quite understand why they are doing these things? I am ok with a lot of rules, but they are common rules, like turn off the lights, don't be messy, don't have 3 people longing, etc.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 pm

Yeah. Weirdness. I'd move. I'm all about rules for safety, welfare and harmony, but this takes things too far.

Her barn, her rules, but I couldn't live with it.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:48 am

A little restrictive?! I would never see my horse with those hours. Ever!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:01 am

might be a great place to board a retired horse-- you could come --in daylight-- and do some hand walking & grazing.
but that isn't what you want to do, is it?
(and i get the feeling that you've already got one foot out the door....)

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:34 am

I would not be at a barn that is that restrictive.
I definitely want to be able to haul my horse when I want.
Yes, it's closer, which is great but anyone who micromanages their boarders
to that degree is someone who would get on my last nerve very quickly.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:35 am

A twenty minute drive is easy. You are comfortable with the potential new place, know the rules and barn vibe, so move.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:43 am

Horses are just too damn expensive for me to put up with these kinds of restrictions on me and what I can do with my horse. That is how I would feel about it. Of course no barn is perfect. It just depends on what trade offs you are willing to make.
I also don't like anyone telling me how to manage my horse's health. I can understand mandating vaccinations, but as long as the horse is on a worming schedule of some sort, that is between me and my vet.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:42 pm

I'll have to take your word on the fact that the current barn is nice because it sounds like a freakshow. If your kids are already going to the other barn, you are already driving that extra 20 minutes anyway. I'm originally from Rhode Island and am the master at losing my mind over distances longer than 5 miles but this one is a no-brainer.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:55 pm

I missed the part about your kids already riding at the other barn, that would be the tipping point for me. I do get that there are good things about your current barn (even if some of the rules seem over the top). You could always give it a trial period (say 3 months?) and see how you feel afterwards. It's also possible that some of the rules are allowed to slide a bit once someone has proven themselves to be a good a reliable boarder. I know a few instances where new boarder were read the riot act, basically to scare them into submission, but the acutal running of the barn wasn't nearly as strict as portrayed.

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:33 pm

Thank you gals. I know full well that the quarantine is neither adequate nor makes any sense, but that's what BM believes she needs to do "to protect all the horses." The "quarantined" horse is still in a stall where it can touch noses with other horses, vets, farriers, massage therapists, chiros and saddle fitters are coming in and out and are a much more likely source of infection than my horse that has been hauled out for a few hours for a lesson to a barn 20 min away would be (and EIA is much more likely to be flown over by an insect than brought it by my horse, but I digress). But if something happens, my horse will be blamed.

As I write this out, it is crystalizing that i have two options:
(1) Acquiesce and do not trailer my horse out. Adopt to the barn lifestyle; or
(2) Move.

Is what it is, her barn her rules.

Thank you, again. This has really helped and led to some interesting realizations on my end, too long to go into here but the long and short of it is that I have had so much experience accommodating and "normalizing" fear and anxiety driven unreasonableness that I think I'm losing sight of what is normal and what is not. This is will be an excellent exercise in taking my own route.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:06 pm

My first thought is you're paying this barn? I get what you're saying about accommodating and normalizing fear and anxiety until it becomes a part of you
and I see you are thinking very much about this, but I think you need to step outside of your comfort zone and find the answer that fits you. "If" it were me I would go to the barn 20 minutes further down the road where your girls are.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:45 pm

Only you can make that decision .
That barn would not work for me. Where I board my old horse there is no open or closed hours. I have full access 24/7. My mare is at another facility and they don't have posted hours, but I am more aware if what time I come and go from there. I think they prefer boarders at by 9 pm.
I do semi like your quarantine policy. Ours is definitely non existent. I would like any knew horse coming in or one coming in for a clinic to be separated for the boarders.
I also would not like your deworming program. I deworm based on fecal exam.

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 am

I am with everyone - I find the rules bizarre, restrictive and non-sensical. My radar is pinging that that the BM may not be as she appears- she sounds more controlling to me. But I once boarded at a small barn and thought the owner was sweet. She turned out to be a total nut-bar so I might be projecting here. :D

I would find the extra 20 minutes well worth it.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:38 am

Dolores Umbridge was sweet, too. Just sayin'. :twisted:

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:15 pm

scruffy is correct. this woman sounds controlling and a bit off. i would move.

you have a very good grasp on the overall picture and what would would work if you went either direction. gosh, i miss talking to you on the bb!!

Cookie
Greenie

Postby Cookie » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Lessons would be important to me, so for me, that would be a deal breaker. I would move if it were me.

FYI, I am of the "no barn is perfect" camp and I have learned to deal with/tolerate a lot of imperfections. But one of the things I love most is taking lessons and learning and improving, so it would take the fun out of it for me if I couldn't take lessons regularly. I've never heard of such a policy either. People who show would be screwed!
AKA LaurieB :mrgreen:

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:22 pm

Where would you trailer to? Is that barn close enough to be an option?

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:08 am

I thought I'd update this - gave my 30 day notice today and will move the horse to the barn 20 min further where my kids ride.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:44 am

Good for you! Soon you'll be able to canter without freaking out others!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 am

imho, a good choice!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Terrific!! :D

Chisamba