Looking for a draft-sized unicorn.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Looking for a draft-sized unicorn.

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:35 am

We had a tragedy in our barn last week. One of my barn mates lost his beloved Clydesdale mare to colic, very suddenly and unexpectedly.

The poor man is devastated. This was his first horse, they were a mutual adoration society (really, this guy would come home from a business trip, came straight to the barn and she would come running up the pasture to greet him. It was really very sweet.) She also took great care of him as they trail-rode all over creation--while he is the nicest guy, he is still a bit of a beginner and has beginner moments so he needs a bit of a babysitter.

The family has literally just moved to the area full time (they were second homers here before and the horse was in full care at our barn) and he was so excited about being able to trail ride every weekend and go out with his young son, who they have just bought a nice horse for.

So, after the initial "I'm never riding again" reaction, Dave has proved that he really is a horseman, and has decided he needs a new trail mount. We all said we would put out feelers for him, so here I am.

Dave is a big man, so he wants a draft or part draft. Mare of gelding. Needs to be gentle and able to take a joke, but also be able to take him for a canter out on the trails without killing him. He rides in a Western saddle, a grab the horn and go kind of guy. He's not going to be taking lessons in an arena, but he doesn't have scary horrible hands or ride in a curb bit or wear spurs. This does not need to be a trained dressage horse, but does need to have the training to be a bombproof rockstar. It will get tuning rides from a very competent trainer.

In return, the horse will have a very cushy and loving home for life with daily pasture turnout and a huge stall, and excellent professional care from people who understand caring for drafts and feathers and diets and footcare (we have a very fine farrier who is really good with draft horses) and all that stuff.

He will pay an appropriate amount for this paragon of horsey virtue and he will travel just about anywhere to find it. (Actually, he will send our trainer first. She has a good eye for exactly what's needed.)

So, if anyone knows of anything that might fit the bill, let me know. We have a 19 hand hole in our barn at the moment that needs filling.

chantal
500 post plus club

Re: Looking for a draft-sized unicorn.

Postby chantal » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:19 am

Oh gosh, I know of nothing, but am sending jingles that you find the perfect unicorn for him.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 am

That's so sad, what a loss. I can't think of anything but will definitely keep my eyes and ears open.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

Aww I hope he finds the perfect mount. I am so sorry for his loss.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:32 am

I just had a thought. Is there a hack stable anywhere around that might have a bombproof hack that is drafty? I boarded at a stable with a hack line for 12 years. The hacks were mostly draft crosses and all gentle giants. Every once in a while someone would come regularly to ride, fall in love with one of the hacks, and then wind up buying it. It always worked out so well.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:35 am

My friend has a lovely 3/4 Belgian draft cross but she probably doesn't tick all the boxes. I am not even sure she wants to sell but she hasn't ridden her in months due to her own health issues. I hate seeing her just standing out at the barn in her little pen. If I wasn't up to my eyeballs with elder care, full time work and my own critter, I would be working her. She is 16 h and approx. 1650lbs. She is 21 but sound, healthy and BF but I would imagine he would want something a bit younger. She doesn't have a lot of trail experience but is pretty unflappable. I have never seen her do anything on our rides out together but she might need a short trail boot camp with the trainer and of course some (gentle) conditioning.

For the right home, who knows? If he can't find something, I can ask if she would entertain a sale.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:03 am

Thank you all... we might just have found something. Needs vetting before we get too excited about it, but is very promising--another Clyde, which will make him happy. Fingers crossed!

I will post pix if it works out!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 am

Good luck to Dave in finding his new riding partner. I love that he wants a horse that 'is able to take a joke'!! Yeah, some can and some can't eh. Crossing fingers too!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:15 pm

Please keep us updated! Tell Dave there are a bunch of us pulling for him and his new unicorn.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:41 pm

awwww....sending him and everyone good wishes~!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 pm

And tell him those of us who have experienced random, sudden, deadly colic, cry with him.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:34 pm

All the above, in spades.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 pm

Fingers crossed for your new find!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 pm

Fingers crossed for the prospect. Let me know if it doesn't pan out and I'll send your/his criteria out into the draft world. Often better that way than the 30 day wonders you see advertised on FB ;)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:46 pm

The horse in question is getting vetted this week. It's out of the Budweisser program in St Louis. Flunked out because wrong height, I believe, supposed to be nice to ride and drive. Fingers crossed!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Jingling for a successful ppe!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 am

Everything's got moved out to next week, what with the holiday and all, so we just have to wait and see!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:16 pm

Jenniferkey just posted a nice drafty type in the sales section, horse is located in TX. (just in case) :)

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:29 am

"wrong height" Too short?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:15 am

Jenniferkey's horse looks a bit too advanced for Dave :)

Tarlo, he's 17ish hands, I believe. Which will feel short to Dave after Madison, who was a horse mountain, 18.2ish I believe.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”