My daughter's new mount!

DJR
500 post plus club

My daughter's new mount!

Postby DJR » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:39 pm

As many of you know, I adopted a 7 yr old girl 3 years ago. She started riding 2 mo after moving in with me (Dec 2014), and is totally & completely hooked. The first pony I got her turned out to be far too much horse for her (was not as advertised), that's the cute little Fjord/QH cross I've mentioned before, Aggie. Aggie is now on a 1-yr free lease with a more advanced rider to put more miles on her.

The next pony was a surprise birthday present two years ago, a 17 yr old Welsh mare medium pony, Sera (Seraphim). Sera was super for my daughter at walk-trot, but pulls a lot of mischief & naughtiness at canter to the point that my daughter is now quite defensive and ready for crow-hops & bucks (regularly). Sera is now 19 and is quite arthritic which is for sure contributing to the misbehavior. So, she's semi-retired and my daughter will still ride her and love her, but Sera just doesn't have enough left in her to be a good match for my daughter as her riding progresses.

So, we've been on the hunt for a longgggg time, and last night we found him ... meet Sawyer!
2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic6.jpg
2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic6.jpg (56.9 KiB) Viewed 16295 times

He's a 14.1h registered QH gelding, 7 yrs old, zero mischief, takes care of his riders, can take a joke, easy-peasy in all respects. He's bigger than my daughter is used to and a much bigger stride, but to my surprise and her coach's surprise, she had a ton of fun on him and kept wanting to canter (normally she's quite anxious to canter). He goes a bit more up-headed than some of the other ponies we tried, but will frame up with a knowledgeable rider ... and that is a good thing for my daughter because her Welsh would always drop her head/neck before mischief so my daughter then gets very nervous about that (that will go away quickly on a dependable mount). And, my daughter's equitation on Sawyer was wonderful with her self-correcting when she realized she was perching forward or hands getting defensive.

And, I love this pony, too! He's big & stout enough that I can easily school him to keep him going well.

Here are a couple more pictures ...
2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic3.jpg
2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic3.jpg (44.93 KiB) Viewed 16295 times

2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic4.jpg
2017Jul08 Sawyer_salespic4.jpg (78.87 KiB) Viewed 16295 times

Hopefully, if time allows, we pick him up this evening!!
:mrgreen:
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: My daughter's new mount!

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Congrats !!

Sawyer is certainly a cutie!

May your daughter enjoy many miles and years of riding this guy!

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:40 pm

Cute! Welcome to the world of Welsh. Her markings are lovely and she sounds like a true to type B - the perfect children's mount. Have fun!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Congrats! I wish many happy trails to Sawyer and your daughter.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:43 pm

Deanna he is beautiful!!!! He sounds absolutely perfect. Congrats on finding him! And I can't wait to see pics of him and your daughter together. :D

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Oh my gosh, those lip spots and the little white "stitches" on his cheek! He sounds wonderful, and at that size and age, your daughter will have many years with him, which is a huge bonus.
Keep calm and canter on.

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:52 pm

exvet wrote:Cute! Welcome to the world of Welsh. Her markings are lovely and she sounds like a true to type B - the perfect children's mount. Have fun!

This new pony is a registered QH gelding. It's her naughty current pony who is a 13.2h Welsh, so she's already been in Welsh-world for the past two years!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:59 pm

You know, I just realized that and must apologize. That's what I get for trying to do two things at once. I had my work computer on at the same time LOL.....at least my proofread of that demonstrated better focus ;) Sorry that the Welsh experience did not go so well. I still love the color of her new horse. Hope she has a much better experience this time around. I have to say as much as I love welsh the mustang I picked up and have been training has been a hoot and very good for those who have ridden him. I had a chance to pick up two welsh for free but their circumstances (the usual that get offered to me) just didn't fit the bill. I wanted safe, steady and perfectly happy to plod along the trail. Even though he was a stallion that had been 'injun broke' you could tell he had that steady eddie, conserve energy, survival instinct. This guy has suited the request I had in spades. I've always said Welsh aren't for everyone ;) Again, I apologize for the mistake and will work hard to improve on the reading for comprehension skills. Gorgeous horse!

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:27 pm

exvet wrote:You know, I just realized that and must apologize. That's what I get for trying to do two things at once. I had my work computer on at the same time LOL.....at least my proofread of that demonstrated better focus ;) Sorry that the Welsh experience did not go so well. I still love the color of her new horse. Hope she has a much better experience this time around. I have to say as much as I love welsh the mustang I picked up and have been training has been a hoot and very good for those who have ridden him. I had a chance to pick up two welsh for free but their circumstances (the usual that get offered to me) just didn't fit the bill. I wanted safe, steady and perfectly happy to plod along the trail. Even though he was a stallion that had been 'injun broke' you could tell he had that steady eddie, conserve energy, survival instinct. This guy has suited the request I had in spades. I've always said Welsh aren't for everyone ;) Again, I apologize for the mistake and will work hard to improve on the reading for comprehension skills. Gorgeous horse!

No worries! She adores her Welsh pony despite the shenanigans. She'll continue to ride her, but the main focus will now be on Mr. Sawyer.

Her coach and I think his show name should be Huckleberry Finn!

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Oh! A new pony! Congrats

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I. ❤️. Sawyer!

Congrats and I hope you all enjoy each other and all of fun that will come your way.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Ooooh, he's lovely!! Congratulations!! And have fun!!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:25 pm

He's beautiful!! Lucky girl and congratulations on the new addition!!!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:58 am

So exciting! Thanks for sharing the joy. I agree on the show name.

Share updates as you can :-)

p.s. Hope you are feeling well and/or are improving with time and care.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:06 am

What a cutie!! Congrats! I hope your daughter enjoys him!! :D

DJR
500 post plus club

Postby DJR » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:16 am

piedmontfields wrote:p.s. Hope you are feeling well and/or are improving with time and care.

Thanks! I still have pain in my left SI joint now, almost two months later. It's a very focal area, I can put my finger on it (and if I hold pressure on it, it feels better). I also still have fairly dense numbness over my lateral hip since the fall. So, my hunch is that this is a semi-permanent addition to my horse-related injuries, but it doesn't bother me when I'm riding so all is good (LOL). It bugs me in certain sitting positions, and quite a bit when I run (the jarring of that leg hitting the ground goes straight to the SI joint on that side), but otherwise it's just background noise.

PNG_Pony
Herd Member

Postby PNG_Pony » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:54 pm

He's adorable! I hope your daughter has many fun years with him!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 am

Adorbs!! Congratulations. Looking forward to many happy stories of triumph.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:06 pm

Luv the potential show name and they should make a great pair. He actually looks a lot like a horse my friend had. She too had a hot little number of a mare, a TB, who bucked her off a few times and really caused some fear issues. She got 'Scooby" an 8 year old QH gelding who had done just about everything. She got back into showing and did pretty well. I wish your daughter many fun adventures ahead.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:55 pm

He sounds perfect, and is adorable, to boot. Congratulations.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:37 am

DJR, I hope as tough and smart as you are that *you* are getting all of the care and diagnosis that you need. We all want you well and happy, and so does your herd and daughter!

p.s. I know Jackie Sicoli through other connections and am glad to see Loxley being well handled/marketed.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”