Witnessing a Choke Death

Benatus
Greenie

Witnessing a Choke Death

Postby Benatus » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 pm

Hi,
I used to be on the UDBB, but found this by chance, which is so nice.

I board at a barn where the intentions are very good.

They are, among a fairly small market, doing a "kid program" and they have a couple old schoolhorses.

One has been wandering around the property loose b/c of choke.

My only experience was once in the UK and the vet dealt with it by tubing and moving the food.

This was chronic.

Sunday after a spa day for Albert after finishing up a turnout injury, I heard what was the most agonizing breathing.

I ran over to see the old school mare just slowly suffocating. She came over to me, I tried to massage her lower throat, but she was heavily drooling and not doing well. She was alarmed. She was already very thin (a draft cross) and her breaths were making her gut go really high up. I ran over to get someone, but BO was over at an across state show and hubby knew nothing and stood there texting the wife for the vet's number (?!?!) while the mare collapsed.
It was horrible to watch.
She got up again and then staggered and got herself cast. I tried to get a lead rope under her and get her had free, for casting herself she just bent her head at a sharp 40 degree angle and it effectively stopped her being able to try any more.

She kicked her feet up a few times and died.

Here was a mare that needed an early exit strategy instead of a slow, awful suffocating death. Husband just stood there blankly (this is the horse that taught is daughters to ride).

BO's dad was in the bottom field and came up after she died. He self congratulated how good of a life she had there.

I was in shock.

I am so mad at them for letting her die like this I can barely see straight. I've put down a number of horses with the knacker, I've seen bad colicks, but I've never seen people just stand around. Like myself.

I don't know if banamine in a wacking great dose would have done it or just let her go. But I am haunted by the look on her face as drool spilled out of her mouth and she staggered around not knowing what was happening.

What should one do in the future? She had a big horse feeder full of wet food that had been sitting in the sun. Plus she was about a 3+ on the Henneke scale.

I just don't really have any place to vent about this. The BO has just made sad faces when I texted her that she suffered and blithely goes on.

I want to suggest she think of an exit strategy for her older horses, but I feel like she's just not into dealing with it the same way I was trained.

Sigh.

Thanks.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Witnessing a Choke Death

Postby Flight » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:03 pm

Oh that would have been just awful :(
No words really, that would have been so distressing to see and to have in your memories.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:47 pm

I sadly was at a barn for a while, who fully believed that horses "wanted" to go naturally. There is a sort of movement toward it. I find it shocking and horrible and cannot bear letting a horse suffer. I am sorry , it had to have been in intensely shocking and emotional moment for you.

For the future, perhaps you can discuss less painful options for her older horses, but its such a personal decision, (and one i honestly believe is often financially motivated but i am a cynic. ) that you may well be unable to change their opinion about it. I have seen two separate horses die " naturally" before it was possible to bring about kind human intervention, and each time it was ugly, painful and horrible. I think that is why some people believe that there is an advantage to a day too soon rather than a day too late. Its not my saying, and i am not sure i agree, but unassisted death is often not pleasant for the animal. very sad.

Its nice to see you back Benatus, sorry the circumstances were so unpleasant. I hope being able to share helps.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:41 am

That is very sad. I do wish people with animals were attentive to their later life needs and devoted to preventing suffering. I think as humans we have extra responsibilities in this regard. I freely admit that I am really a "day early" rather than a day or week late sort of human manager of mammals.

I just witnessed an active choke incident for the first time last week. It is extremely distressing for the horse. Yes, the vet came out and assisted with drugs and tubing. In this case, it was the first time the horse choked, and it was caught early. So far, so good, as he is doing well and choke has not recurred.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:47 am

OMG, I'm so sorry for both you and the horse. I agonize over being glad I wasn't home when my dressage mare died of torque (essentially a suffocation) and wishing I'd been there to do SOMETHING. So helpless and frustrating. And so sad. Hugs for your awful situation.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:35 pm

Thanks all. This is the only place I could explain my anger. The barn is the quiet haven and yesterday I had it to myself.
Albert and I rambled around in a field for an hour or so.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:43 pm

How horrible for both of you. You are a better person than I for co trolling your emotions and your words that day.

FWIW, as I read your description, I got the feeling that the mare knew you cared and was so thankful for your efforts and for not being alone. I know that sounds "out there" but I hope it gives you a little bit of piece.

I

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm

I would never trust that facility again, I am so sorry that happened! Nice to "see you" here!

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 am

I'm so sorry, for you and for the poor mare. How long ago did the choke start? I don't understand why she was wandering the property loose because of it? I have seen horses who were choking that were able to resolve it on their own fairly quickly (less than 15 mins), but for her to starve to death it must have been much longer. I would consider this abusive, not sure if would be worth reporting.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:56 am

I would be looking for a new place for my horse. That (lack of) response is not sufficient quality of care for me.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am

OMG, that poor, terrified horse. I'm so sorry you had useless "help."

If you decide to stay at that facility, you might spell out clearly that you want immediate medical intervention in cases of ____.

This isn't a criticism of you (oh hell no), but next time, just take charge and call the vet, then call the owner and explain the emergency. The vet wouldn't have responded quickly enough in this mare's case, but you'll feel much better for having done something.

Hugs.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:15 pm

That doesn't sound like a place you belong. I'm so sorry you had to witness that and I wish I could unsee it in my mind.

Borrowed Freedom
Greenie

Postby Borrowed Freedom » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:23 pm

That sounds like a horrible experience. I'm just confused why the BO didn't leave the vet's number with her husband? Where I keep my horses there is a number for our vet, another vet as back up and both farriers numbers in the office. The stable manager also always gives us dates when she's away and always puts the number of the person checking on the stables on the notice board.

If I were you and you decide to stay at this place I would get the number of the vet, so that you can immediately call the vet without having to run around trying to find it.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm

Yeah, where I ride, vet's number is posted on the door of each stall.

End of life planning is a subject everybody should consider, and in fact it should be taught in Pony Club (though perhaps not pony camp).

If you like the barn otherwise, perhaps your next gentle nudge would be to put together an end of life plan for your own horse, and give it to the barn manager "so they will know what to do" if you are unable to be reached for some reason?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:43 pm

I can't imagine the horror to stand watching and not being able to do anything. Sorry you had to witness this.

After reading your post, that note I went to the barn and my old guy started to choke. I had put a few pieces of carrots in with his grain, and I think he just gobbled everything to fast. Now and then he does cough, but this was different. I could tell he was worried and stressed. At first I wasn't sure it was choke, since he'd cough then not cough, then cough. When he started to paw and wasn't eating his hay, I was sure he had something stuck. There was no one around to help me and my vet was not available.
I continuously rubbed/maassaged his upper jaw and throat,that must have done the trick, because he seemed less stressed and wasn't pawing, though he didn't start eating right away. I waited around until he did eat and made sure he was swallowing.

I was lucky I got it to pass. It was just weird, I read your post, then it happened to me.

Sorry the mare at your facility wasn't able to pass the blockage.

Benatus
Greenie

Postby Benatus » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:15 pm

This horse has had choke since she arrived last year. They seemed to manage it by keeping her out. She would wander the property and it's been managed loosely by letting her walk about and eat grass, or just be out. Even during winter in the snow.

I guess since the property is unfenced (though she hangs out with a few friends) she was getting into the road (dirt, property surrounded by large acreage properties)

I appreciate everyone's input.

I'm looking for a new berth for Albert.

sigh.
:S

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 am

:shock: Sickening and abusive. I'm glad you're looking to move Albert.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”