"Purple" mattress, anyone tried? Thoughts?

Quelah
Herd Member

"Purple" mattress, anyone tried? Thoughts?

Postby Quelah » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:29 am

It's time for a new mattress. Thinking about going rogue and trying a Purple. Seems pretty low risk with the return policy. Has anyone here tried one?

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: "Purple" mattress, anyone tried? Thoughts?

Postby Kyra's Mom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:27 am

I threw this very question out on TOB and got nothing. I did order one of the purple pillows. I rather like it but I find it warm and their ads specifically say the mattress sleeps cool so I don't know. It also weighs a ton (OK, so 10 lbs but that is a pretty heavy pillow--no fluffing that bad boy) so I can't envision what a whole mattress would weigh.

Since I had my tailbone removed, my old mattress is a lot friendlier now (or my butt is :lol: ) so I have put the new mattress thing on the back burner. When I do spring for a new one, I am not paying thousands. Good lord, some of those mattresses and systems are pricey :shock: .

On TOB, several people like the Casper mattress. About the same price as the Purple and similar shipping and return policy.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Thanks! I broke my back badly about 10 years ago and it gets unpleasantly stiff if I sleep for more than 3 hours. Maybe it is what it is, other than not sleeping through the night I can't complain too much but it's time for a new mattress anyway.

I think the purple weighs about 150 lbs, our conventionalmattress easily weighs that lol.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Quelah, consider a temperpedic. Ours has been fantastic for sore backs!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:28 pm

I have a Tempurpedic that I've had now about 5 years. I started with pretty severe scoliosis which was corrected surgically (long story) and the Tempurpedic really helped me sleep better (before and after surgery). I am a back/side sleeper and feel like I get decent back support regardless of how I'm lying.

Next time around I plan on looking at the Temperpedic Breeze as it is supposed to not be as warm as earlier models although I rarely get hot in the one I have.

Not inexpensive but their guarantee is decent and I don't think I've had much, if any, "sag" in the mattress at all in 5 years. Previous I had a pricey Seely (I think) with springs and memory foam and started having noticeable sag after 3 years with it and could hardly wait to get rid of it after 5 years. Temperpedic isn't going anywhere just yet :)

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 am

I saw a review somewhere that said the purple mattress sleeps stiffer than they say. If your back needs a firm mattress, it might work, but the reviewers were side sleepers and hated it. Can't remember where I saw it.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:28 am

I cannot sleep in a Tempurpedic. I have some horse related arthritis and after one night's sleep in a Tempurpedic I could barely stand.
They were also very hot with no support - kind of like sleeping in a really hot wheelbarrow.

OTOH I did try a Sleep Number and that thing was * awesome*. Very stable and totally worth the $.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:08 am

I would love to try a sleep number but the $$$ :(

Snork
Herd Member

Postby Snork » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:31 pm

I got Casper for both of my girls. Excellent return policy and so far they like it. They're both fussy sleepers and use every excuse to show up in my bed but they've been staying put in their own stalls, er, rooms, more than not, which is consider success. :P

I've slept on it a few nights myself and it's a good mattress if you generally like the memory foam (i do).

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:48 am

No info on the mattress but LOL "rogue"!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”