Godspeed Boston Dodger

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Godspeed Boston Dodger

Postby khall » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 am

It was a horrible day at our farm today. One of my long time boarders who I loved like one of my own had to be humanely euthanized due to a freak accident in his stall. He had a complete and open fracture of the LR just above the hock. I have no idea how it happened. He was fine eating hay at 12:30, found him at 4 when I went to go throw some more hay. Dodger was 21 going on 2, with a big personality and a determination to never act his age. There are lots of Dodger stories and pictures. One of the worst calls I have ever had to make, to a good friend that her horse had to be euthanized. I wished this day could have a do over.

Flight

Re: Godspeed Boston Dodger

Postby Flight » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:14 am

How sad :( Very sorry to hear this Khall.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:20 am

i'm so sorry khall-- (((hugs)))

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am

I am very sorry. So shocking to find a safely kept horse in such peril.

Abby Kogler
Herd Member

Postby Abby Kogler » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 pm

I am so so sorry, what a terrible event. Thank God though that you found him when you did and were able to end his misery. So sorry.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:38 pm

Sorry you had to be the one to find him. If only we could put them in bubble wrap and keep them safe from themselves.

Hugs to all that knew and loved him.....

Angfreda
Herd Member

Postby Angfreda » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 pm

So sorry Khall.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm so sorry :( we try to keep them so safe :(

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:21 pm

{{{{{{Khall}}}}}

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm

:( oh dear, I am so sorry to hear that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

I'm so sorry. :(

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 pm

Aghhhhhhhh!!! It kills a part of me every time. I'm so sorry.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Tarlo Farm wrote:Aghhhhhhhh!!! It kills a part of me every time. I'm so sorry.

Yes, me too. Very much.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:17 pm

To lose a horse and have to convey the news to your friend. . . . that's a lot of heartbreak. So sorry for Dodger's loss to all who loved him.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:23 pm

I am so very sorry. These things are so horrifying.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:03 pm

:( What a shock and tragedy.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:14 pm

Yes, this was every horse owner's and care giver's nightmare. What absolutely kills me is that out of any of the horses over the years I have cared for (and it has been MANY) Dodger IMO was the least likely to have such an accident. He never did anything that was spooky or rambunctious in his stall that would cause such an injury. The worst he would do was to bang on his doors when he thought the food was not there in a timely manner and that was even rare for him. He was not one to roll in his stall ever (now out in the mud, yes, hence one of his nick names: pig pen) he rarely even laid down in his stall unless he was in longer than normal. He usually laid down in the field to sleep with his buddies around him. It is just so out of character for him and completely confounds me in how it happened. We are just so sad here at the farm.

I wished the image of him at the end was not in my brain. It was one of the worst and I have lost a horse to a broken leg before: she was out in the field when she broke hers. I did not let his owner see him because of how bad it was. I was there for him to be euthanized and his other long time caregiver was there with us. As bad as the day was, how all came together for Dodger in the end was really remarkable. The vet was there in about 30 min and was instrumental in maneuvering Dodger to burial site, his owner and her DH (who was not supposed to be home) was there in about 20, my husband made it quickly and my helper was there all there at the end. Our good friend who has buried horses before for us was there just after he was euthanized, so from the time I found him at 4 he was completely buried by 7:30. Thank Dog for my DH who was there to drag him out of the stall (we euthanized him in the stall which thankfully had a rear door accessible by the tractor) and then carry him to his burial site and go in the hole with Dodger to arrange him carefully. We dig big enough holes so the horses can lay flat on their sides. That is one thing I cannot do is to watch them go into the hole. I will be there for the euthanasia, but that final step I just cannot do. It also would have been very difficult for me to do what my DH did, getting Dodger from the stall to the burial site.

I have 5 buried here on the farm, 3 from age related issues (21, 27, 26) and my mare Anna I lost last year to colic and now Dodger. He and Anna have been so difficult, gone too soon.

Typical Dodger:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:48 pm

What a sad, sad day. but you know you did the right thing and there was nothing else to do for it. Reading your post makes me anxious and emotional because I still feel the pain of Billy's passing. I found him passed away in his run-in 4 years ago. There was no struggle. He was as glossy as ever and just looked asleep. I often try to bring that picture back into my mind and it's there for a instant, but then my brains shuts it off. I can only see it for an instant before it's gone. I am so sorry because the pain is just too much.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:18 pm

I am so very very sorry for all of you. It boggles my mind how frail and vulnerable such massive, powerful creatures really are...and it terrifies me.
I hope those last images fade fast for you. How wonderful you all were to shield Dodger's owner from any pieces of the agony that you could. Tears for a horse I never met, and for the pain of his humans. Run fast and free Dodger, and enjoy the most perfect mud you'd ever hoped to encounter.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Ugh pretty rough day here Tuesday. Dodger's owner came in to go through his stuff (which was actually not as bad as I thought it would be, harder to see his empty stall). Vet who euthanized him was here for my other boarder so owner wanted to chat with vet about Dodger and thank vet for all her help in getting Dodger out of stall and to the burial site, helping my DH with it. Also owner wanted vet's reassurance that there was nothing else to be done, she is just trying to make sense of Dodger's loss which I can understand, but know from experience there is no making sense of it. We will probably never know what led to the fracture, I have my thoughts on it and his owner knows them, vet does not agree and has her own beliefs. So all owner wanted was vet to say there was nothing else to be done, period. Euthanasia was the ONLY option, but NOOOO, even though I told vet at time of euthanasia owner does not need to know or see how bad it was, called vet office (knowing owner wanted to talk to vet) stating again owner does not know full extent of the injury please do not enlighten her. And again when vet was here talking to me about it (almost gleefully saying how bad it was comparing the tragedy to others she has witnessed over the years) asking her to NOT go into detail on the injury/fracture. So what does vet do when talking with owner? Goes into great detail about the injury and also goes on to tell her how bad it was compared to others and that the vet would remember this tragedy in her retirement years, one of the top ten in her career. Good God, why on earth would someone be so heartless and cruel? Owner and I have known this vet for years, this was totally uncalled for. To the point owner walked away from vet before discussion was over, just about ready to throw up she was so upset. I was furious with vet, still am. Wished there was other options but she is about the only game in town here. I actually don't use her that much, I tend to haul 2 hrs to great vet, but do use her for some and emergencies are one of those that I need her for. Just so unprofessional and IMO heartless.

I talked with a good friend afterwards (DVM who actually had been associate of said vet) and she was saying the reminiscing of the tragedy of Dodger A) should not be just a week out B) should be done with other colleagues C) not to elaborate to shell shocked and grieving owner (especially this owner who was not that versed in horse issues)

Vet did not have to tell me how bad it was, I knew how bad it was. It still haunts me and I would give anything to know how it happened. I tried so hard to shield his owner from the full extent, the only solace I have is that she does not have the actual sight of Dodger's last moments in her mind, I was able to shield her from that.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:07 pm

That is just awful....I cannot imagine any vet I know saying such things to anyone close to the animal, ever. So very sorry.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”