Which home owners insurance company do you use?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Which home owners insurance company do you use?

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Our home owners insurance agent is retiring after we used them for 20 years. They are trying to swap us over to another company/agent and keep getting denied or rejections. We are considered a small "hobby horse farm" as we are 6 acres and have my 2 horses on the property. No commercial business or boarding, etc. So if you are not a commercial or business farm - who do you use if you don't mind sharing? This is crazy because in 20 years we have never filed a claim and have a fairly simple home and barn arrangement. Thanks!

Mareless
Herd Member

Re: Which home owners insurance company do you use?

Postby Mareless » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:25 pm

Farm Bureau. I think ours is called a "country estate" policy.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:36 pm

Farm Family. We probably pay for way more insurance than we need, but when we were getting home owners from another company I read the policy and the maximum the outbuildings could be insured for was 10% of the value of the house. And at that time our barns were probably worth as much or more than our house, and I was worried that the indoor might blow down because we found out after we built it that we're right in a wind tunnel.

We've never had to make a claim, but I sleep better on those nights when the wind is rocking the house, and that's worth a lot.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:13 pm

Yes - it sounds like we would fit the "country estate" category. Simple property arrangement with home attached 2 car garage and small barn. Crappy Sears sheds are not worth mentioning but that is it for out buildings. We simply keep my horses in our backyard.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:18 pm

We use State Farm as they do not discriminate against owners of well-behaved dogs that the insurance world considers "dangerous breeds". When we bought The Fixer Upper Farm I was worried about what might happen. First year there were no horses here so I didn't even ask. Once I bought the horse trailer and insured that, I asked the agent. We have an umbrella policy in addition to our home owner's insurance, vehicles, and trailer. As long as we aren't taking in any money related to the horses, our current policies cover us. Even if I invited a hypothetical friend ride one of my horses with me, and that friend got hurt, we would be covered....I specifically asked that question. We have 12.5 acres. One house, two barns, two horses. I think I read somewhere that State Farm recently created a Farm and ranch policy as well...maybe that would be for business farms/ranches.

The only issue we had was that during reno, while we lived in our previous house, they would not cover The Farm as it was unoccupied and a reno project. We had to get a special company for that in order to get the mortgage, then got the farm covered with State Farm once work was done. We have had really good experiences with State Farm and we have had a few crappy things happen.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 pm

Thank you - I will call our agent on Monday and discuss why she is having a hard time swapping us to someone else. It doesn't make sense to me as I know of other backyard arrangements in the area with similar setup as us. :roll:

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:48 am

USAA

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Another Farm Bureau/Country Estate policy here.

Amado
Herd Member

Postby Amado » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:47 pm

Amica.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Hochheim Prairie www.hochheim.com

We looked at Farm Bureau (who most of the folks around here use) but after meeting with a representative and hearing his shockingly racist comments, then examining FB's political agenda, we opted for Hochheim, at least for now.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:05 am

Wolverine - horse, donkey, 10+ acres, no boarding or anything commercial.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”